300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad to be sent back to FTO??

That maybe a dumb question. I was just advised that I will be back in the FTO program because my supervisors believe that I am not ready to be on my own at this time. I've been riding solo since May/June.

My questions are:
    Should I be uspest about this?
    Is it bad for me to be sent back to the FTO program?

Other officers (especially the ones with only some seniority over me) say that I have been doing fine and I shouldnt take it personally. Rather that they send me to be trained some more than waiting in an unemployement line.

Any advice?

You can PM if you dont feel like posting on the thread.

Keep your head up. It's only for your safety, your co-worker's safety, and the community safety.

They know what they are doing. I wouldn't say it is a good thing, but you just need to stay positive. No point in getting upset. Just remember, the checks are still coming.

I hated my FTO period. I just needed to be in the car by myself.

Comment

You say the sarge says, "Not ready to be out on your own yet." Don't answer this in a public forum like this, but why? What are the exact areas he feels you are not yet proficient in? Is it report writing? Is it knowing your location (Officer Safety category)? Is it prioritizing your calls? In order for you to succeed you need to know what the issue is/are, and fix them. Your peers and some senior officers may think you are OK, but it's that sergeant that can DC you with one swipe of the pen.

If you were in Calif, you would have a written plan of action attached to the paperwork to put you back into FTO. This would list the deficiencies, and a plan for correction, including a drop-dead date for you to achieve that goal.

Putting you back into FTO is designed for one thing...to get you ready to be out on your own, or get the necessary supporting documentation to release you on probation. Take it seriously, but don't focus so hard on it that you lose your composure and start really screwing up. Hang in there, follow the plan, fix what your sarge wants fixed, and get off probation. Good luck!

Comment

Like others said, at least you're still employed considering they could've let you go since you're probably still on probation.

Take it on the chin, step up your game professionally and move forward.

I hated my FTO program too. Being trapped in a car with certain MPOs that thought they were the best thing that ever happened to MPDC made for a long day.

Just get through it and before you know it you'll be solo again!

Comment

Originally posted by ChgoPaintball View Post

My questions are:
          Should I be uspest about this?
          Considering the other possible alternative to FTO remediation, I think you should be grateful to have been given a second chance.
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

I think IMachU said it pretty well. Some people take a little lonmger to learn or learn in different ways, so it is a good thing that you are getting a second chance, just don't expect a third chance. Get specifics on what you need to improve.

Comment

I don't know about being upset. As others have stated, use the opportunity to turn on your A game. As for, "is it a bad thing," I wouldn't say it's the best.
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Have a set down with your sgt. I was told that when I was a rookie. I had a set down, and was told it was about my report writing. The Sgt said we were short so I wouldn't be put back with the FTO until the next group of rookies was cut loose.

I went to the head of the Crim Justice dept at the local college and asked him to recommend a book for Police Report Writing. He gave me the book and I wouldnt write a report without it.

Later the sgt called me in saying he was impressed, there is no way he would put me back with an FTO after seeing the way I corrected the problem on my own.

Must have worked, I finished my 20 without going back to an FTO.

OH I should also mention that same sgt was the one who recommened me and I became an FTO.

Comment

Obviously, the feel that you have potential.

Ask your sergeant what areas you need to work on the most. Do not be defensive or make excuses. Leave no doubt that you are asking him because you want to improve your performance, not because you are challenging his judgment.

When you are on probation, you can be fired without cause, so maintain a positive attitude.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Just look at it like a way to learn new approaches and techniques. Every FTO brings something different to the table. They usually give someone with remedial issues a really good one, if they intend to keep them. If they did not want to keep you you would probably pick the vibe up pretty quickly. So use it to your advantage and be glad to have someone in the car so you can be really proactive with out calling for an assist on every stop, for searches and stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. im going take this oppurtunity to just up my game and just use it as a stepping tool. The supervisors like me, and they believe ill be a great cop. I just need to be more assertive/aggressive in my decisions. thats it.

Comment

We had a guy go solo for about a month then went back to FTO. He was fired a week later.

I would suggest asking what area of training you are lacking in and make a very big effort to show them you are trying and you can get it. Dont take it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by StalkerCop View Post
                          We had a guy go solo for about a month then went back to FTO. He was fired a week later.

I would suggest asking what area of training you are lacking in and make a very big effort to show them you are trying and you can get it. Dont take it easy.
                          well i hope it doesnt come down to that. seriously love the job and the supervisors notice that. I actually get to work 1 hour before roll call and 30 mins before the supervisors are getting in for work.

Comment

FTO Program

Originally posted by ChgoPaintball View Post
                            well i hope it doesnt come down to that. seriously love the job and the supervisors notice that. I actually get to work 1 hour before roll call and 30 mins before the supervisors are getting in for work.
                            As an officer having gone through the quals to be an FTO and completed some training I have expereinced some issues as you describe.

I FTO'ed an officer and I could not get him to engage. Once I practically told him to arrest the suspest in a domestic violence call and he still could not get it done...due to his inability to get in the game, I was forced to take action and the suspect began to fight. This was clearly because the suspect saw the weakness in the officer.

I would do what others have suggested......get the scoop on what area you need....Assertive/agressive in your decisions is what you stated.

A true FTO program is to build up the officer, the department has spent enough time and money to hire you and get you on the street and they want to see you succeed! The FTO is responsible for the success of the officer...he will do all he can to get you into the game. It is in your hands at a certian point and you need to keep your eye on the prize....

Comment

It's not a bad thing, some folks just take more time to develop in this job. Its one thing passing the Academy, its another in the real world. Just keep your head and spirits up, and do the best you can. You WILL mess up. I still do.
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                              that we are all that stands between
                              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5698 users online. 331 members and 5367 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X