300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the chances..

Of someone enlisting in the service in something other than a MOS pertaining to law enforcement and being hired by a police department after discharge? Does it really matter if you have an MOS pertaining to LE?

As a Police Recruiter separating and members of the guard and reserves are a preferred hiring group. I am interested in separating service member regardless of MOS, rating, or specialty code.

Separating service members bring three important skills to law enforcement; self discipline, problem solving skills, and the ability to work with a diverse group of people. Their skills are more developed than their civilian counter-parts. The service member will begin highly developing those skills day one of recruit or basic training.

That being said as a recruiter I do spend more time trying to recruit separating military law enforcement personnel. As a result I do visit military police units, provost marshal offices, and security forces squadrons in my state. The reason is that group as a rule is more inclined to be interested in civilian law enforcement.

As an example this week I am scheduled to visit Pope Air Force Base, Fort Bragg, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, and MCAS Cherry Point.

Comment

you could be a retired Special Forces operator or a E-2 finance clerk, you have about the same chance of getting hired, most civilian LE agencies dont seem to give a damn anymore waht yoru job was, at least in my experaince.

military service has next to nothing to do with being civ LE, not like it used to back in the day, when my dad got out of the army, a local agency begged him to work for them, not so much anymore..
      In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

Originally posted by LEODestined View Post
        Of someone enlisting in the service in something other than a MOS pertaining to law enforcement and being hired by a police department after discharge? Does it really matter if you have an MOS pertaining to LE?
        I am Prior Military (Airborne Infantry 12yrs) and I like to help all Military guys, Even though I served in the Stan and Iraq, and am now in the civilian world, I still admire those on Active Duty Military. With that said, My department frowns away from one MOS in particular, Military Police, We have not had success with the former MP's. They are hard to teach, and stuck in their ways, and every critique made to them is responded with a, "Well, I was always taught", instead of a 10-4. They usually don't get fired but end up getting such a hard time, they leave on their own and go to another dept. I dont' follow them to see where they are now, but there is one guy that was an MP and has now in 2yrs on his 3rd Dept. My guess is he will soon find another career.

Just speaking for my dept. Mine loves Infantry guys because our SWAT team is a little on the rough side, and they feel you will be an asset SWAT wise, plus your ahead of the powercurb in that regard over say a finance clerk, or cook, but because of the disipline to structure, regardless of MOS they like you. The only MOS I have seen frowned upon is MP and I have other friends in many other agencies and the former MP's agreeably seem to be a bit more stubborn in training and accepting new methods that are policy.
        Last edited by creolecop; 08-04-2008, 07:03 PM.
        Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

I am not aware of any agency in my state where prior military service is one of the minimum requirements for the job, let alone a particular MOS within the service. Instead, you are scored on the number of correct answers you give to questions asked on the written and oral exams for the job. From there, people are hired based on the order of their scores (highest score first, second highest score next, etc.). However, many agencies grant veteran's credit for full time military service (and not the National Guard), which adds anywhere from two to five extra points to your final score.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The only good thing I've experienced with my military experience is the "Veteran's Preference" which adds five "points" to your overall "score" while going through the hiring process. That's it.

I even had a "high speed job" and it doesn't mean jack... at least down here...
            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

You may not see a direct link with military service and the recruiting/hiring process but I assure you it is there. The first link will be in the recruiting plan. Police recruiters will spend a lot of time on military installations. Job fairs at military installations are crowded with police recruiters. The goal is to target separating military service members.

It is an important factor in the application process. The NC form PD 107, application for employment has 3 main areas; military service, education, and work history. It's hard to find an agency that will not require your DD-214.

I also assure you that your military service will be noted interview board.

Comment

Generally speaking, it is what you learn in the service that makes you a good candidate--not what you did. Don't go MP because you think it will make you look better. If you want to join the service and be a supply clerk or carpenter or whatever, go ahead and do that. Nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by FPDRecruiter View Post
                  As a Police Recruiter separating and members of the guard and reserves are a preferred hiring group. I am interested in separating service member regardless of MOS, rating, or specialty code.

Separating service members bring three important skills to law enforcement; self discipline, problem solving skills, and the ability to work with a diverse group of people. Their skills are more developed than their civilian counter-parts. The service member will begin highly developing those skills day one of recruit or basic training.

That being said as a recruiter I do spend more time trying to recruit separating military law enforcement personnel. As a result I do visit military police units, provost marshal offices, and security forces squadrons in my state. The reason is that group as a rule is more inclined to be interested in civilian law enforcement.

As an example this week I am scheduled to visit Pope Air Force Base, Fort Bragg, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, and MCAS Cherry Point.
                  A. What he said. If you notice, he's a recruiter for a very good Agency in NC that's been on the news lately with some very sad stuff happening in their town.....thus far making two arrests in both cases.......and hopefully will be locking up two scumbags for good very soon.....

B. Go into something you want to go into...... If I had it to do over, I would have stayed away from any sort of LE work in the military. I was a MP for 8 years..... Good times but the Army (and now it seems the rest of the military) is going AWAY from the military folks policing their own and hiring Civilans to do it. All you have to do is go to USAJOBs and look up series 0083....and see that the Army, AF, Navy, and USMC are all hiring civilans..... You won't be seeing much of a patrol car....you will be more than likely being deployed to the ME and supporting Missions over there.....

Had I had to do it over again....I would have went AF and got on as a flight crew and flew all over the world.....or some sort of Intel gig......

C. Realize that no matter what job you take in the military, you are going to be deployed to the ME....which means folks will be shooting at you......something some folks seem to forget from time-to-time.....

D. Once again....do something you want to do....keep in good shape....keep your credit good....and get out with a good discharge....thats what 99.9% of the LE Agencies in the US want..... A good discharge. Most don't care what you did when you were in.....

Good luck...
                  Last edited by Bearcat357; 08-05-2008, 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling like Chller....

Comment

I think any job in the military is a good job, they all give you something to bring to the table of law enforcement.
                    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4526 users online. 230 members and 4296 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X