• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFOSI 60th Anniversary.

CONGRESSIONAL RECORD
    SENATE
    PAGE S7888
    July 31, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AIR FORCE OFFICE OF SPECIAL INVESTIGATIONS

Mr. SPECTER: Mr. President, I have sought recognition to recognize the Air Force Office of Special Investigations on its 60th anniversary, August 1, 2008.

The Office of Special Investigations was created in 1948 at the suggestion of the 80th Congress. The secretary of the Air Force, Stuart Symington, consolidated and centralized the investigative services of the U.S. Air Force to create an organization that would conduct independent and objective criminal investigations. Since 1948, the Office of Special Investigations has evolved to meet the changing needs of the Air Force. It has matured into a highly effective war-fighting unit while maintaining the standards of a greatly respected Federal law enforcement agency. The Office of Special Investigations has truly adapted to fulfill the needs of the U.S. Air Force in the 21st century.

At present, 3,200 men and women serve in the Air Force Office of Special Investigations. In more than 220 offices around the globe, these men and women perform the investigative work of the U.S. Air Force wherever and whenever they are needed. I am proud to be counted among the alumni of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations. I served as a young lieutenant in the Office of Special Investigations from 1951 through 1953 and was assigned to the Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Delaware District. My experience allowed me to serve my country, hone my investigative skills, and prepare for a career in law and in Government.

It gives me great pleasure, to recognize and salute the Air Force Office of Special Investigations on the occasion of its 60th anniversary. In a time of unprecedented change and challenges, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations has answered the call of the Air Force, the Department of Defense, and the Nation.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this morning, Congressman Reyes delivered the following address to the House.

Mr. REYES: Madame Speaker, I rise today to honor the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, or the AFOSI.

Today, August 1, 2008, OSI celebrates its 60th anniversary as the investigative arm of the United States Air Force. At the suggestion of Congress in 1948, AFOSI was established as the consolidated and centralized investigative service for the United States Air Force by then-Secretary of the Air Force Stuart Symington. Since its inception, AFOSI has served to ensure a capability for independent and objective criminal investigations. Through the years, AFOSI’s mission has evolved in many ways to meet the changing needs of the Air Force. As a direct result, it has matured into a highly effective war fighting unit while maintaining the standards of a greatly respected federal law enforcement agency. Its goal today, as it was 60 years ago, is to provide the world’s best investigative service to the world’s best Air Force.
    AFOSI has played a central role in the history of the Air Force. It was the AFOSI commander in Korea who first alerted the Far East Air Forces headquarters in Tokyo of the North Korean invasion in June 1950. During the early to mid-1960s, AFOSI units were deployed to Vietnam and quickly proved their mettle in support of air base defense by gathering early warning threat information on sabotage and surprise attacks. As terrorism became more prevalent in the 1970s, AFOSI responded with investigative tools and programs that enhanced the protection of Air Force people and resources. In 1978, AFOSI became the first organization in the federal government to establish a computer crime program. AFOSI’s counterintelligence efforts contributed to victory in the Cold War by identifying and neutralizing foreign intelligence operations targeting the United States Air Force. When the Pentagon felt the impact of cyber-threats in the 1990s, it tapped AFOSI to run the Defense Department’s computer forensic training and laboratory programs.

In recent years, AFOSI has answered the call to help protect an air and space force that is committed to going anywhere in the world, at any time. Its response to the 9/11 terrorist attacks and contributions to subsequent combat operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as support to worldwide humanitarian assistance missions, continue to highlight AFOSI as a force multiplier providing for the safety and security of our armed forces anywhere in the world.
    Although AFOSI has evolved and adapted to today’s needs, there has never been a change in the fundamental nature of the organization: it is an independent, high performance investigative agency, and indispensable to the Air Force. Today’s AFOSI is made up of approximately 3,200 people operating across the globe, virtually anywhere you would find our Air Force’s interests or resources.

With a legacy of service, integrity and excellence behind them, the members of this office march on today in the footsteps of the many men and women who have served in the AFOSI, including one of our honorable colleagues, Senator ARLEN SPECTER.

Madame Speaker, it is with a great deal of pride that the AFOSI celebrates its 60th anniversary. In a time of unprecedented change and challenge, AFOSI continues to rise to the occasion by answering the call of the United States Air Force, the Department of Defense, and our great nation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: Government Printing Office
    From CQ Congressional Record Service
    Providing government documents on demand, in context.
    ©2008 Congressional Quarterly Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Happy Birthday to a good group of folks.
    I have worked with a few of them from Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

happy b-day
      Want to start a website? I run Host Lonestar.
      Texas Discussion blog about texas...forum as well

Comment

AFOSI is a top-notch agency, and they take care of their folks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6580 users online. 367 members and 6213 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X