300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSI: Civilian vs. Military Agent Differences

Maybe this is old news, but I was trying to get information on the primary differences in work b/t civilian and military agents. I understand deployments are common for both etc. But is there a difference in the types of cases that each are authorized to work? Ive seen mention of alot of technical areas towards civilians, are they not allowed to do traditional crimes (assault, drugs, etc)?

I don't think there are any differences in the cases they work. The only difference I'm aware of is that civilian OSI agents have statutory powers of arrest, and military agents don't.

There may be differences in deployment cycles and transfer policies. Maybe an OSI agent can contribute.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Anyone here in OSI currently that could help me out? Im interested in applying, but again haven't heard much clarification on the civilian side of the house. When I was in Iraq I worked with OSI quite a bit, but they were all military, and I never thought to ask what/where their civilians were.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent00Latin View Post
        Anyone here in OSI currently that could help me out? Im interested in applying, but again haven't heard much clarification on the civilian side of the house. When I was in Iraq I worked with OSI quite a bit, but they were all military, and I never thought to ask what/where their civilians were.
        Dude with the Screen name "M11" is a current military OSI Agent.....

Comment

Sorry it took me a few days to get on here, I’m juggling a little bit right now before going on Vacation in a couple weeks.

All AFOSI Agents start out at the same place, Probation. There is a list of tasks you need to accomplish to get off probation. They are a little bit of everything from crim to fraud to CI work. Officers, Civilians, and Enlisted all go through it.

When probations over, you can start to specialize a bit, taking on more training in Criminal stuff (Advanced Interviewing, Evidence classes, Computer stuff) Fraud stuff (Economic/White Collar crimes Courses) Or Counter Intelligence Stuff (Ninja and Jedi Schools)
          I went the CI track, so I get a lot of shooting and driving, and deploying. Civilian agents who decide on the CI track do all the things the Mil guys do and more, because they can be on JTTF’s. Mil cannot because of Posse Comatose. Civilians have the power to arrest civilians, which means they can cuff, transport and advise of rights. Mill has the power to detain Civilians, which means they can cuff, transport and wait for a civilian to come and advise rights.

Civilians do the exact same thing we Military guys do, including deploying, where the AFOSI game is a bit more “Out there” than the average 1811 position is. If you are truly interested, contact AFSOI in your area, but do not, as I have seen in the past, look at AFOSI as a way to get your 1811 and immediately transfer to another agency. We have become a bit sensitive about this, as we have paid to train approximately 20 Civilian agents in the last 3 years who transferred to another agency as soon as they were off probation to avoid Deployment.

I will end this with telling you AFOSI does a lot of work; we also do things that no one knows about. Things that I don’t even know about. There is something for everyone in the job, but the price of the ride is putting in your time when you do not want to ie, Baghdad (Where the job is actually at it’s best)

In Short, our Rabbit Hole is very deep. But to know more, you have to join the club.

M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

M11
            Thanks I just got back from the field and just saw your post. It was really helped clarify alot for me. I think I just might apply. And yes, the OSI agents I worked with in Iraq were extremely busy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5630 users online. 321 members and 5309 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X