NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Anyone work Force Protection in the Middle East?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myers5325
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2008

Anyone work Force Protection in the Middle East?

Does anyone or has anyone here worked in the Middle East on US Govt contracts as a Force Protection Officer? I am currently awaiting for deployment to Kuwait. Can anyone give insight into some of the companies over there and how good or bad they may be?
  • JTShooter
    Sheepdog
    • Jun 2006

Stay away from Blackwater unless you were SOF at somepoint in time. If you weren't, you're merely a number and won't see the "good" contracts.

Triple Canopy or any of the "smaller" companies are a better choice.
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• BritCop in USA
      Forum Member
      • May 2008

You'd be better off working for one of the foreign companies out there, like the British or Australian contractors. This is because just about all of the American contractors will expect you to work for a whole year out there, then just give you 2 weeks vacation at the end of your tour / contract. If you work for one of the Brit / Oz companies, they will offer you a contract on a "rotational" basis. This means you'll work, say 8 weeks on (in country) then 4 weeks off (on vacation) You'll get a ton of leave to play with. I previously worked in IRAQ from 2006 to 2007. My rotation was 9 weeks on / 3 weeks off. Also, you may well earn a great deal more $ that way. Unless you are ex-S.F. type, the American companies don't pay that good. Where as the other foreign companies do pay well. Just a thought....

Comment

• Myers5325
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2008

Thank you BritCop in USA. Can you recommend any foreign companies in particular? The US company I am currently in the hiring process for gives you 4 weeks of leave and seems to have pretty good living conditions and benefits. I am hoping that if I get deployed through this agency, I will have a better chance getting into some of the better contracts upon completion of this one. This is all new to me so any suggestions would be great.

Comment

• Bearcat357
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by justhomp
          Stay away from Blackwater unless you were SOF at somepoint in time. If you weren't, you're merely a number and won't see the "good" contracts.

Triple Canopy or any of the "smaller" companies are a better choice.
          If BW came a knocking....I'd go in a heartbeat (if I was so inclined to be heading to the ME anytime soon....and I am not...) .....they offer good training and know that most of the "Varsity" folks that use to be on their contracts are hard to get now because they've been there....made their bucks....and are doing other things......

To the OP.....If you are going to Kuwait, the company runs the place like a regular US Army Military Police Company....since most of the senior folks there did that for years and years in the Army....

Your living conditions will be good.....but you will work very long hours..... You do have some chances to move around the company if you keep your mouth shut, do as you are told, and don't bi tch..... You will also get to meet other contractors in the area and get chances to move on if you so desire.....

This comes from about (at least) 20 or so guys that I have personally known to have been there.....

I would also advise you that if you are wanting to save money....don't act like some of those guys and got out and buy cars.....get expensive cell phones.....and blow your money on other toys. You will see it happen....

As for the foreign companies......I think they are hard to get on as an American.....just like it's rough for foreingers to get on with US based companies.....but that's just my opinion.....

Comment

• JTShooter
            Sheepdog
            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by BritCop in USA
            You'd be better off working for one of the foreign companies out there, like the British or Australian contractors. This is because just about all of the American contractors will expect you to work for a whole year out there, then just give you 2 weeks vacation at the end of your tour / contract. If you work for one of the Brit / Oz companies, they will offer you a contract on a "rotational" basis. This means you'll work, say 8 weeks on (in country) then 4 weeks off (on vacation) You'll get a ton of leave to play with. I previously worked in IRAQ from 2006 to 2007. My rotation was 9 weeks on / 3 weeks off. Also, you may well earn a great deal more $ that way. Unless you are ex-S.F. type, the American companies don't pay that good. Where as the other foreign companies do pay well. Just a thought....
            That's not completely true. While there are some contracts out there for 12 month rotations, there are some that you'll be there for 1 week. It just depends on what you can bring to the table and the contracts that are available.

Triple Canopy for example (used to at least) would place people on certain "rosters" based on their experience and training and would come calling if you fit the bill for a contract, and you can decide to take it or not. They might have changed that now with Blackwater having to give up some contracts...

Originally posted by Bearcat357
            If BW came a knocking....I'd go in a heartbeat (if I was so inclined to be heading to the ME anytime soon....and I am not...) .....they offer good training and know that most of the "Varsity" folks that use to be on their contracts are hard to get now because they've been there....made their bucks....and are doing other things......
            Don't dismiss other companies. Triple Canopy used to employ Paul Howe afterall...

Originally posted by Bearcat357
            I would also advise you that if you are wanting to save money....don't act like some of those guys and got out and buy cars.....get expensive cell phones.....and blow your money on other toys. You will see it happen....
            Totally agree with this one. So many guys would come back and blow all that money just to HAVE to work another contract to work off their debt.

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

• Bearcat357
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Don't dismiss other companies. Triple Canopy used to employ Paul Howe afterall...
              I'd never dismiss any other companies....since I never worked for any of the biggies but paid just as much money for not doing a lot......

Totally agree with this one. So many guys would come back and blow all that money just to HAVE to work another contract to work off their debt.
              I have one friend that has been over there for 4 going on 5 years...and keeps going back because his fat *** wife is blowing all their money on stupid crap......

Also, when I was there, I saw guys going out and leasing/buying cars.... buying the latest/greatest cell phone and dropping some decent cash just to pay the bills off......guys that were going out every night when they were off to the 5 star hotels to eat and be with the in crowd of expats.....

Comment

• Myers5325
                Forum Member
                • Jul 2008

Thanks. I have a wife and 3 kids here at home. I plan to save every penny possible. I will only buy what is necessary. From what I understand they provide transportation to and from work, housing and you can eat on base for the company I'm waiting for in Kuwait. As for the hours, I want to work as many hours as possible to accrue the overtime. Also, that will keep me busy and time goes by faster. And I don't complain when I'm paid well. I am only waiting now for the final notice of employment. I have completed all requirements including medical exams. They stated that they will notify within 2 weeks of deployment for final determination of employment. Now it's just hurry up and wait.

Comment

• Myers5325
                  Forum Member
                  • Jul 2008

Also my wife is just as tight as me with the money and getting out of debt is our top priority. I don't care for the expensive toys in life. Oh, and my wife is hot, not fat so that's another plus for me.

Comment

• BritCop in USA
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Myers5325
                    Thank you BritCop in USA. Can you recommend any foreign companies in particular? The US company I am currently in the hiring process for gives you 4 weeks of leave and seems to have pretty good living conditions and benefits. I am hoping that if I get deployed through this agency, I will have a better chance getting into some of the better contracts upon completion of this one. This is all new to me so any suggestions would be great.
                    Yes, I worked for ArmorGroup for a year. Although they are based in the U.K. with their Head Office in London, they do have a U.S. office in Virginia. They recruit all nationalities. Also B.L.P. International are an Australian company but again recruit all nationalities. These are just a couple of possibilities for you. I know about these 2 because they were both involved in Police training (as well as the usual security contracts, also) However, there are a ton of other companies out there, too. Just google them and you'll find them.

Comment

• Myers5325
                      Forum Member
                      • Jul 2008

Thanks again BritCop in USA

Comment

• BritCop in USA
                        Forum Member
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by Myers5325
                        Thanks again BritCop in USA
                        Oh, and another one for you - C.R.G. Control Risks Group. They are another British company, who we used to work with quite a bit. They recruit other nationalities, too.
                        Last edited by BritCop in USA; 07-19-2008, 06:38 PM. Reason: error

Comment

• JTShooter
                          Sheepdog
                          • Jun 2006

Pay by the hour? Didn't realize companies did that... I was always paid by the day...

Comment

• Myers5325
                            Forum Member
                            • Jul 2008

Yep, it's hourly pay. OT is paid at 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 depending on day worked. Plus paid holiday pay.

Comment

• Myers5325
                              Forum Member
                              • Jul 2008

Thanks to all of you that responded here for me. It made a huge difference in my decisions. I have accepted a position and will be deploying to Kuwait in the first part of Sept. to start working as an FPO. Again, thank you for your help.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19265 users online. 45 members and 19220 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...