300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Military Police

In eastern North Carolina (ie: MCAS Cherry Point & Marine Base Camp Lejuene) there are currently posts for Civilian Marine Police. It appears that in his area the base pay is around the 28,000 range and I'm only assuming that this is the crew that will be replacing some of the Military Police to cover for PMO. Does anyone have any specifics? Is this a federal law enforcement position or do you have to turn in your gun and badge when you get off at the end of the day? Do you have to pull the 12 hours (actually 14 hours) that the MPs do now? Anyone with any information will be appreciated. Lots of us Cilivilan Police are Veterans and are interested in the job.....just don't want to lose that "Police" certification in the states. Thanks!

Currently, they work 12-hour shifts. Every other weekend off. Yes, they have to turn in their weapons at the end of the shift, per DoD regulations. Unless they have independent authority to carry concealed, they are prohibited from doing so under DoD employment. They will be able to apprehend, but not arrest, civilian and military offenders (DoD uniformed police don't have statutory powers of arrest). In other words, they have to release offenders after processing. Serious felonies are turned over to NCIS for investigation and/or arrest, if warranted.

They do not fall under the federal LE retirement system, so there is no age 37 limit.

I think the pay is a little higher than you posted, though. Probably depends on prior qualifications.

A lot of local LEO's in the Coastal Carolina area are interested, also a lot of retired service members living in the area.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

By no means am I belittling the job that these guys are gonna do, but are they basically armed security guards? Is it a gun/badge uniform? From what most of the guys in my department and surrounding think.....this is a federal law enforcement position. They are under the impression that this will give them the ability to carry weapons off duty under our federal law for law enforcement officers to carry anywhere w/o the concealed carry permit. Also the pay in considerably lower than what the rumors said it would be. The NCESC has the pay in the mid 28,000 range, but I see other areas paying around 31,000.

Thanks for you information.

Cuffs

Comment

Marine Corps Civilian Police

No, they are not just armed security guards. They will enforce traffic - including DWI's, respond to calls in housing and industrial areas, apprehend lawbreakers aboard the base, take statements, and basically do everything a municipal officer would do in a city or town. Just like military MP's are doing now. But they won't have the turnover and shortage of personnel due to MP deployments and combat support roles.

The ONLY operational difference between these officers and sworn state or federal police officers is the lack of statutory powers of arrest both under federal and state law. It's a military thing, and has to do with the fact that they ultimately report to a military officer, the base commander.

Even though they can apprehend and detain lawbreakers, they have to either release them after processing (identification/statements, etc.), or turn them over to NCIS if an arrest is needed. In other words, they can't take a lawbreaker to the magistrate and on to the jail.

That applies to both military and civilian lawbreakers.

Because there is not a federal or state law giving them statutory powers of arrest, they are not covered under the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) which allows sworn officers with statutory powers of arrest to carry concealed nationwide. They turn their Berettas in at the end of the shift, and can't carry concealed unless they have a NC CCW permit.

There are only a handful of DoD police agencies who are covered under LEOSA, and they all ultimately report to a civilian DoD CLEO.

The positive thing is, because they don't fall under federal LE retirement, retired military personnel over 37 YOA can be hired.

Here is more info from the local paper:

http://www.jdnews.com/news/police_53..._officers.html
        Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean that the police officers will have the benefits similar to NADEP employees and other federal employees that work on base? You certainly answered a lot of quetions and squashed some rumors.

Cuffs

Comment

Originally posted by cuffs203 View Post
            Thanks for the reply. Does this mean that the police officers will have the benefits similar to NADEP employees and other federal employees that work on base? You certainly answered a lot of quetions and squashed some rumors.

Cuffs

Yes. All federal employees have the same choice of benefits. Doesnt matter if your an 1811 (Criminal investigator), an 0083 (police officer) or an 0318 (secretary). The only difference is in retirement with the exception of the Federal Bureau Of Prisons who trains everyone as a correctional officer and places them in the LE Retirement.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

What Orlandofed5-0 said.

It's a good gig, especially for more mature, experienced officers who are tired of being stressed out in a local department, and who are tired of working for peanuts. You do find the spectrum of crime on a military base, but much less so by number, than in the civilian community.
              Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

What kind of retirement does this provide if not under the federal retirement system?

Comment

I know this is a different topic, but no sense in making a whole new thread (unless no one looking here knows).

Theres a bunch of postings for DON Civilian LEs on USAJOBS right now. There in an area I'm fond of (VA Beach, Norfolk), and so I'm slightly interested. I've read some crazy stuff about those guys over the past few years and there powers being given / taken away, etc. But what I'm interested in is their training. It states in the posting that they attend a 13-Week-Long academy in Norfolk, VA. Who runs this? Is it the Norfolk City PD academy? Or is it a Navy based one? Whats the Navy PD training like, and is it transferable to VA standards at all?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cuffs203 View Post
                    What kind of retirement does this provide if not under the federal retirement system?
                    It is under the Federal retirement system, just not the law enforcement system.

Comment

Originally posted by LochRaven View Post
                      I know this is a different topic, but no sense in making a whole new thread (unless no one looking here knows).

Theres a bunch of postings for DON Civilian LEs on USAJOBS right now. There in an area I'm fond of (VA Beach, Norfolk), and so I'm slightly interested. I've read some crazy stuff about those guys over the past few years and there powers being given / taken away, etc. But what I'm interested in is their training. It states in the posting that they attend a 13-Week-Long academy in Norfolk, VA. Who runs this? Is it the Norfolk City PD academy? Or is it a Navy based one? Whats the Navy PD training like, and is it transferable to VA standards at all?

Thanks.
                      The academy is run by the navy for its officers assigned to the Midlantic region. It includes all the facilities in the Tidewater region and the officers assigned to the former Philadelphia Naval base. As of right now, they lost the authority to issue cites into Norfolk courts and are working to hammer out a new contract with the mangement. The academy is not DCJS transferable however many officers have left and gotten hire both in the area and out of state. Its a basic bs academy with some minimum pt thrown in. Do a google search for the navy's phase1/2 training and that is what you will get. The academy is waiverable in Florida.

Comment

Thanks for the information. You say phase 1/2 - is that for the police training or the PT? I've thrown it in the to google, and it comes up with Navy Seal training and Royal Marines.

Comment

Originally posted by LochRaven View Post
                          Thanks for the information. You say phase 1/2 - is that for the police training or the PT? I've thrown it in the to google, and it comes up with Navy Seal training and Royal Marines.

It deals with the police training. Ive included a link from the Naval postgraduate school police training site.

http://www.nps.edu/Adminsrv/police/

Comment

One of the positive "unintended consequences" of the Marines hiring civilian police officers in this part of the state will be the need for surrounding civilian LE departments to increase officer salaries. It's sorely needed in this area.

Comment

I agree! It has been a long time coming.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12377 users online. 521 members and 11856 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X