Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Corps.

----------------
    Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 06:26 AM.
    www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

I am not a Marine, but my brother is.

While you're in the DEP, your recruiter will certainly try and help you drop weight, through individual help and physically challenging pool functions.

If you're still overweight upon shipping to basic, you might be assigned to PCP, or physical conditioning platoon, or better known and less affectionately so as the "pork chop platoon".
    Refuse to be a victim-Support Concealed Carry

Comment

SGeringer is dead on.....But you don't wan't to be in the Pork Chop Platoon...The best thing you can do is run at least 5 times a week.

Comment

----------------
        Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 06:26 AM.

Comment

--------------
          Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 06:25 AM.

Comment

keep in mind that if you go MP in the Marines you got a 90% chance of becoming a Correctional Officer. and you wont get the choice either.
            BPA - Pending BI
            Two local depts. - Pending BI

Comment

---------------

Comment

Originally posted by low_clazz View Post
                keep in mind that if you go MP in the Marines you got a 90% chance of becoming a Correctional Officer. and you wont get the choice either.
                I never heard of this....I know when signed up I knew I was going to be an MP but I didn't know if I was going to be with a field MP and they told us that in MP school.

Comment

----------------

Comment

Originally posted by alienbow View Post
                    So you are a Marine now? Do you know anything about the late deployment program that another person was talking about? I know they will give you a year to get in shape before putting you through basic training. I am really interested in the military.

I am interested in MP also. I would like to get some military experience, that goes a long way on an application. Do you know what the requirements are for the late deployment program? I appreciate any feedback.
                    I suppose I'll try and answer your questions since I just got off active duty and my last tour was as a recruiter. The weight issue is tricky. There are 2 different standards. One to join the DEP and another to ship to recruit training. The limit to join the DEP is a definite line in the sand. In my 3+ years on recruiting I saw one guy who was 11% body fat get a waiver. When it comes time to ship to recruit training if you are up to 10% over and can pass the Initial Strength Test then they can get you a waiver to ship. As far as PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon) "Pork Chop Platoon" the only way you will go there is by failing the IST at recruit training. They will not send someone that is just overweight. However, you will get racing stripes on your green skivvy shirts and be a diet recruit. If you will PM your weight I can help you and let you know exactly what you have to be at.

If you want to be a MP it is actually like rolling the dice, you could be a Correctional Officer. I have no idea what percent chance you have of it, it all depends on the needs of the Corps. I know 3 guys that went on that program and they all got MP. If your ultimate goal is to be a law enforcement officer when you get out, don't get hung up on being a MP. Just stay out of trouble and you'll be fine. Hope this helps.

If you have other questions about jobs or the recruiting process i'll be more than happy to help you out.

Semper Fi
                    "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

So you are a Marine now? Do you know anything about the late deployment program that another person was talking about? I know they will give you a year to get in shape before putting you through basic training. I am really interested in the military.

I am interested in MP also. I would like to get some military experience, that goes a long way on an application. Do you know what the requirements are for the late deployment program? I appreciate any feedback.
                      Sorry I didnt answer all your questions. It is called the Delayed Enlistment Program or DEP. 99.9% of people who enlist go in this program. Some for only a few days, weeks, months. The only people who usually get to utilize the entire 12 months are ones who join the summer after their junior year of HS and ship to recruit training after they graduate. If you have a high school diploma plan on shipping within at the most 3-4 months. Most of the time 1-3 months is more realistic. If you can show tha you are in college or something they will usually let you wait until you finish a semester.

Semper Fi
                      "Out of every 100 men sent to battle, 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are just targets, 9 are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a Warrior and he will bring the others back." -Heraclitus

Comment

MV89, do you guys still do the height/weight chart or can you do the tape measure like the Navy does to the muscle heads to get a better estimate?
                        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel View Post
                          MV89, do you guys still do the height/weight chart or can you do the tape measure like the Navy does to the muscle heads to get a better estimate?

To enlist it is 99% by the chart. Like I said I saw one guy in 3 years get in off of body fat. Once you are in it is a different deal. If you are over weight and have a 1st class PFT you can be 22% BF, if you just pass the PFT you have to be 18% BF.

I think the reason that more people dont get to enlist with the body fat is because in order to have that waiver run you have to take a full PFT, and most people wouldn't be able to get the score they need staright off the street. I've seen guys do the 20 pull ups and get about halfy-way on the 3 miles and say screw it.

S/F

Comment

-----------------
                            Last edited by alienbow; 04-20-2008, 06:24 AM.

Comment

I appreciate your feedback. I did some research on the internet, one site was by a gentleman that retired from the military. I don't know if I like what I found. I weigh 270 right now, I've got over 100 pounds to lose. I also have thyroid disease and I'm taking medication for it.

I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. I've got a long road ahead of me. I know the reward is worth it. I'll keep you guys updated. I appreciate all the feedback.
                              I believe a thyroid disease is disqualifying, anything that is going to require you to alwas have access to meds is most of the time disqualifying, your recruiter should have told you that already

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6326 users online. 360 members and 5966 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X