300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Clearance Status After Deployment

I am a prior service infantryman and served in the national guard. I deployed to Iraq and after we returned home, I remember guys saying that our security clearances weren’t “active” anymore. Does anyone know how that works?

I remember when I enlisted going over some security clearance paperwork and I guess I had one when I was overseas but I don’t know at what point it became inactive or expired. I’m in law enforcement now and I am Interested in my old clearance info for when I am seeking federal jobs. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

It’s inactive and expires. Once the need for it passes, it’s inactivated, then it times out.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      It’s inactive and expires. Once the need for it passes, it’s inactivated, then it times out.
      So to be clear I’ll give the timeline: Enlisted in 2008 and completed clearance paperwork, returned from deployment in December 2011 so would it be safe to say the clearance was inactive in 2012?

Comment

Secret security clearances are good for 10 years. Sounds like someone screwed up your paperwork and is requiring you to get a new clearance.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
          Secret security clearances are good for 10 years. Sounds like someone screwed up your paperwork and is requiring you to get a new clearance.
          No not necessarily, I could have all of this wrong. I’m just inquiring to see if anyone has any idea if the clearance would be “inactive.” I am not at the point of obtaining a new clearance yet as I am in local LE right now. But I know I’ll need past clearance info when I apply for a federal LE position.

Comment

I technically left active duty after my deployment but I was still in the guard, I’m not sure how that impacted my clearance at the time.

Comment

I was enlisted active duty 2014-2018. I was issued my Secret Clearance in 2014, and had to verify it when I became an RTO in 2016 for our deployment. I was informed by S-whatever shop(the m.i. guys) my clearance is active for 10 years, even after discharge. I dont know if it works any different for reserve/guard. Additionally i am currently onboarding to be a 0085 for the dept of the army where I had to meet with a background investigator. I informed him of my clearance however since I am now a civilian they still have to rerun me for the same clearance because the checklist adds 3 new things for civilians(one of which was education, I cant remember the other 2 but he said its stupid and redundant). I hope this clarified something.

Comment

• jberry811
                jberry811 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for your input, I have some conflicting paperwork in my packets from time in service that is making this sort of confusing.

Originally posted by jberry811 View Post

So to be clear I’ll give the timeline: Enlisted in 2008 and completed clearance paperwork, returned from deployment in December 2011 so would it be safe to say the clearance was inactive in 2012?
              It’s 2020, so it’s moot.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Where is Levithane for this thread?

When I was AD the rules were Secret for 10, TS/SCI for 5 years until it was to be reinvestigated. Once you left service they were inactive for up to two years assuming they were within the 10/5 year mark. After that to they expired and you would have to start over. That's why it was critical to get a cleared job within 2 years of getting out if you wanted to maintain the clearance. But I got out in 2007, who knows now. Though a quick internet search confirms what I wrote. I am not sure how guard/reserve factors in.

Comment

• jberry811
                  jberry811 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What you just listed off is kind of what I thought happened. I filled out paperwork for a Secret at the time of enlistment, deployed 3 years later and everyone acted like after our deployment that our clearance was inactive because we were no longer on AD.

Originally posted by jberry811 View Post
                I’m in law enforcement now and I am Interested in my old clearance info for when I am seeking federal jobs. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
                You can get a complete copy of the SF86, see below.

The DCSA FOIA and Privacy Office for Investigations is responsible for responding to Privacy Act and FOIA requests for background investigation records. For information about requesting a previously completed SF/e-QIP form, a copy of your background investigation(s), or submitting a Privacy Act amendment request, please visit the DCSA FOIA and Privacy Program homepage: https://www.dcsa.mil/contact/foia/foip/

Comment

Originally posted by 9L81 View Post
                  Where is Levithane for this thread?
                  Ive been in training for the past 2 weeks.

@jberry811

As far as the topic is concerned Secrets are good for 10 years, and Top Secrets are good for 5 years. For the most part a lot of them end up being "favorable adjudications" than actual clearances (border patrol, USMS, etc), which indicates your eligible for it to be activated if need be. Generally you aren't told when you are cleared/adjudicated. I have my report that was completed a little over 2 years ago for a TS, and I don't recall there being a date saying that "your case was adjudicated on this date". For the most part military clearances will not carry over to the Federal side of things. Federal agencies will inevitably run another one on you, even if your military clearance was still current. This is because you can be cleared for military service, but not suitable for Federal Service depending on what is in your background. You should obviously list your military service and that you had a clearance, but are unsure of the date of completion and adjudication.

In your case your secret was probably for the duration you were in the service. When I did backgrounds, having a prior clearance mainly helped when needing to fill out the next questionnaire. Anyone who tells you a "secret" will carry over/reciprocate to a job that is TS required doesn't know what they are talking about. I did nowhere near the amount of work on backgrounds requiring secrets that I had to do on backgrounds requiring Top Secrets.
                  Last edited by Levithane; Yesterday, 08:16 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4117 users online. 270 members and 3847 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X