Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice... (MP/CID/Retirement)

Howdy..

I have been considering going back into the military as an MP and then transferring to CID. I will have my BS in CJ in about a month and I also have the option of joining the local Sheriff's office.

I am concerned about retirement because I know if I want a good retirement I need to stay about 25 years in my local agency. I have already done 4 years in the Army and I know I would only need about another 16 to have my 20 for federal service.

Is retirement really something I should be concerned about?

Would it be better to do 20 in the Army and then go into LE? Or should I go LE and forget about the military?
    "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

I can't speak for Florida, but in CA you can buy back your military service and credit the time towards your state retirement. (In CA, the majority of LE agencies contribute to the state retirement system).

I also don't know what the pay is like in Florida, but in CA most agencies pay much better than what you will find in the military. Plus, you don't have to worry about deployments, PCSing every few years and all the other hassles that come with military service.

Civilian law enforcement plays by "big boy rules", rather than the military's "treat everyone like they're a danger to themselves rules" Although civilian law enforcement is a paramilitary organization, the way you are treated (in most cases) is way better than the military.

I served four years active duty and have spent the last 10 in the reserves. I would highly recommend you consider going into civilian law enforcement. 16 more years on active duty is a long time. I hope this helps!

Stay safe,
    Rat
    sigpic

Comment

It does definately help, but i'm going to find it hard to decide between 16 more years or 21. :P
      "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

My husband got out of the Army after 9 years (5 MP and 4 CID). He landed a LE job about six months after ETSing. The state gave him credit for his military years for vacation which is nice. You need to decide what type of LE you like. If you join the Army, MP's do not do much LE work. If you go CID you will probably be sent to PSU after 1 year which means you will be provided Physical Security for a couple years. Id consider Local LE and joining the national guard or reserves. My husband just joined ANG so he could get retirement from both.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, I have decided not to do the active enlisted idea as per my wife's orders.

We are now debating on whether to take a job with the local Sheriff's office provided they give me a conditional offer or become a United States Army Officer.

Both have their perks so it is definately going to be a hard decision. The one thing that stinks about both is that they both have boot camp type training.

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk View Post
            Thanks for the advice guys, I have decided not to do the active enlisted idea as per my wife's orders.

We are now debating on whether to take a job with the local Sheriff's office provided they give me a conditional offer or become a United States Army Officer.

Both have their perks so it is definately going to be a hard decision. The one thing that stinks about both is that they both have boot camp type training.

Personally, I would stick with local LE.....but that's just me. Because as soon as you go through any Army training, you will be deployed to the ME.....

Not sure if that is something you want to do.....but I wouldn't do it if I was married and/or had kids.....but that's just me...

Good luck...

Comment

The retirement that the military has is pretty good. If you decide to go CID, then plan on going warrant officer after 2 years. MP's do law enforcement. I'm an MP and I do law enforcement. I've been deployed twice, but that doesn't mean that just because you're a MP means you're going to be deployed. My advice, if you're going to go in, get choice of duty station and go to one of the nondeployable post. If you want to know which ones are nondeployable, just PM me. As far as how you're treated, there is an image that the military must uphold, all it takes is discipline. The military isn't some organization that treats all their employees like crap. If you have a high level of discipline and are willing to learn, then you will be treated fine. If you are a smart-*** with a bad attitude, then you may have a bad way to go. It all depends on you. You would learn a lot more about investigation being a CID agent, and you will probably learn a lot more about road work being a MP.

Comment

Last edited by omar12; 07-26-2007, 10:19 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6033 users online. 315 members and 5718 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X