Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know China Lake is hiring right now.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551291400

Just have to keep at it. I worked for the VA Police in Reno and thoroughly enjoyed it. Consider applying to agencies you wouldn't normally apply to.

Comment

I worked for DoN and army as a civilian officer. My suggestion is to get whatever training you can from them and then go elsewhere. There is a big difference between being an MA and an 0083 civilian police officer.
      ​​​
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by armychris View Post
        I know China Lake is hiring right now.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/551291400

Just have to keep at it. I worked for the VA Police in Reno and thoroughly enjoyed it. Consider applying to agencies you wouldn't normally apply to.
        Thank you! I'm going to apply right now!

Update: So​​​ I realized I had already applied but only to one location. I updated my application to be sent out to 3 other locations. Hopefully that gives me results.
        Last edited by MRA89; 02-16-2020, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
          I worked for DoN and army as a civilian officer. My suggestion is to get whatever training you can from them and then go elsewhere. There is a big difference between being an MA and an 0083 civilian police officer.
          ​​​
          Is it really? I see them doing basically the same we do. Most times they stood ECP with is. I figured it would be very similar. I'm pretty sure there's more to it though.
          appreciate the advice

Comment

I did 8 years Infantry and got out at 100pt VA Rating. I couldn't get on to a 0083 gig for a friggan minute. I applied to anything and everything and then I got an offer asa 0085 guard at Army Pueblo Depot Colorado. I packed my **** and moved all the way from Maine. Did my year and finished the probation and applied to a 0083 gig at Ft McCoy, WI. Got in no issues and now I work the VA Police and on-boarding with BIA.

Keep applying and maybe consider getting in with a 0085 Army Security gig to start out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonejay87 View Post
              I did 8 years Infantry and got out at 100pt VA Rating. I couldn't get on to a 0083 gig for a friggan minute. I applied to anything and everything and then I got an offer asa 0085 guard at Army Pueblo Depot Colorado. I packed my **** and moved all the way from Maine. Did my year and finished the probation and applied to a 0083 gig at Ft McCoy, WI. Got in no issues and now I work the VA Police and on-boarding with BIA.

Keep applying and maybe consider getting in with a 0085 Army Security gig to start out.
              I might have to do that. I can sacrifice a year away from my loved ones, it's not like we're not used to it I guess. I noticed corrections is also hiring, I hate working in jails/prisons but it might be my way in.
              im actually realizing it's not just me, I guess these jobs are hard to get. I'm not giving up though. Thank you!

Comment

If Corrections is not for you don't do it. In LA County you have the VA Police down near the 405. You also have DOD in Palmdale at Plant 42, L.A. AFB (but they are REALLY hard to get on with) and DOD at Edwards AFB. Between the 3 plant 42 would be better. Edwards guys are all term guys, Plant 42 are all permanent. Those guys make good money for what they do and built in overtime. If for whatever reason you don't want to go City PD or Sheriff's department PM me and I'll give you a few other departments.
                I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• MRA89
                  MRA89 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Corrections is definitely not my thing. You're 100% right. I applied to several locations this week. I also found an old acquaintance of mine who said he'll let me know as soon as they do direct hires at China lake. I am interested in learning about other departments. I'll pm you.

• Calitown
                  Calitown commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do the Plant 42 officers in-process at Edwards? What are the starting salary for the Edwards DoD position? Thanks.

Originally posted by MRA89 View Post

Is it really? I see them doing basically the same we do. Most times they stood ECP with is. I figured it would be very similar. I'm pretty sure there's more to it though.
                appreciate the advice
                Very different. DoN civilian police do not have to work OT or get forced to stay where as an MA can. DoN civilian police do not have any shipboard posts even while on shore duty. DoN Civilian police do not have to work urinalysis with medical for sailors.
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Calitown I'm not sure. I know they are two separate facilities. Edwards guys are all term, I believe they are working on permanent status. Plant 42 guys are permanent guys. The 42 guys are able to make high 5 figures with easy built in over time. They get paid for getting dressed and dressed out. I'm not sure of their current pay. Edwards falls under Kern County locality pay while Plant 42 falls under L.A. County. They also have a pay incentive since so many folks were leaving to other federal agencies and that's for both. I've talked with the Plant 42 guys when I see them around.
                  I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• Calitown
                    Calitown commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seems like a very good deal, if youre with Plant 42. What does "term employment," exactly mean? So lets say its 3 years, after those years are up, do you kicked? Ability to transfer elsewhere? Thanks.

• orlandofed5-0
                    orlandofed5-0 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Term employment means you can be employed anywhere from 1-4 years with or without benefits and lose that job at the end of the term

Originally posted by MRA89
                  Only because I was an MA or military police in the Navy. I've done the job and I'm very comfortable doing it. Plus I want to work at the base where my friends work but they are disabled vets, I still don't have a rating.
                  It is my understanding that DoN 0083 positions are currently open to the public, 0085 are veteran only.

I worked with quite a few DoN cops who had not been in the service. Conversely I also worked with one who was "100% VA rated" when he was hired. Neither things matter much.

Having a rating and being a 10 pointer is a plus for nearly any gov job city, county and state included.

Many of the bases have employed guards now so gate duty is reduced significantly for the cops. (You may do lots of gate until out of FTO and before FLETC.)

DoN police is what you make of it. In 15 years I handled every type of call you can imagine short of an actual active shooter thank God or a completed murder. We worked well with local PD. We had bike patrol but not much else special unit wise. As a GS-6 with special pay rate, 1 hour built in OT every day, 10% grave shift differential and Sunday premium the pay was pretty good. Every base is a little different but I understand China Lake gets you GS-7 and they have a special rate of 45% on top. Good luck.
                  You miss every shot you don't take.

Comment

Update: idk how I did it but I landed an interview!

Comment

Good luck.
                      You miss every shot you don't take.

Comment

My interview was cancelled because of everything going on. Darn Corona virus messing everything up!

Comment

Just an update. Everything turned out well for me. I did my interview, I was advanced to the next stage. Things are looking bright so far.

Comment

• Iamkre8
                            Iamkre8 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Good luck....

I received a tentative hire notification email. This particular part has me a bit worried.

"This is a career ladder position with a full performance level of GS-7. You may be noncompetitively promoted to the full performance level upon meeting all regulatory requirements if recommended by management."

Does that mean it's possible that I may not be promoted to GS7 and get stuck at a lower level? The "IF" kind of gave me some concern. Has anyone been through this process and have you experienced any problems?

Thank you

Comment

• oef_vet
                            oef_vet commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The only way you won't get gs 7 is if you don't pass your annual pt test, weigh in, or miss your annual physical. It's nothing you should be worried about.

• MRA89
                            MRA89 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you so much for that information!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4326 users online. 190 members and 4136 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X