300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Marines make good cops*

I have found over the years that many exceptionaly good cops were former Marines. The only problem is they think they are 'bullett proof". But they can make snap dicisions with a greater propensity that the avg. academy guy. But they are already well grounded but so RIGID and DUTIFULYY SWORN TO DO THE JOB AND GET THE JOB DONE!* Once a Marine, always a Marine*
    SEMPER FI

My last PD fired two USMC guys for violating civil rights violations for pulling people over without P/C and/or lying about why they pulled them over....

Nothing like seeing some decent dope/DUI cases get tossed because of it.....

Comment

Ya it all depends on the person, I've seen former military people get fired for various issues. There was a former marine from my academy class who got fired for soliciting a prostitute right after he worked a vice detail.

Comment

Im a 13yr veteran who has kept his nose clean and know many other former marines who are excellant cops because they now how to deal with adversity regardless of the few bad apples you guys have mentioned there are many more exceptional cops still doing the job who are former marines. I hope we get more of them too, Im sick of Field Training cry baby recruits with only their college degree's and no life experiences. Semper Fi
        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I've seen both sides of the coin, in the long run the question you need to ask yourself is would you work with that person as a partner. It really doesn't matter whether or not if they served in the military or not it's can they do the job that matters.

Comment

I agree fully. I have worked with some real dunces that were in the military before, but I have worked with some who were real squared away, especially since I have been a field training officer.

Comment

I agree fully. I have worked with some real dunces that were in the military before; but I have worked with some who were real squared away, especially since I have been a field training officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                My last PD fired two USMC guys for violating civil rights violations for pulling people over without P/C and/or lying about why they pulled them over....

Nothing like seeing some decent dope/DUI cases get tossed because of it.....
                Ok N. Va, like I said ...A FEW...only the proud the brave the good survive"Thanks for taking care of the rest known as dirt bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                  Im a 13yr veteran who has kept his nose clean and know many other former marines who are excellant cops because they now how to deal with adversity regardless of the few bad apples you guys have mentioned there are many more exceptional cops still doing the job who are former marines. I hope we get more of them too, Im sick of Field Training cry baby recruits with only their college degree's and no life experiences. Semper Fi
                  Hey NightShift, I gotta a feelin' you are one of the true ...A Few...the proud, the good and the brave. Hangin' w/you man To be perfectly honest w/you. If Iwere in trouble and I had a choice to call for help. Who do you call?? A UNITED STATES MAINE. SEMPER FI...."Always faithful"

Comment

Originally posted by ex401mp View Post
                    I agree fully. I have worked with some real dunces that were in the military before; but I have worked with some who were real squared away, especially since I have been a field training officer.
                    Me too 401, Some of them were repeat offenders" Gee, I really like to play w/ these little faces on the page. Makes my day! lol

Comment

Military

Oh shock, another Marine tooting the Marine Corps horn!!! I'm kidding around, gets my blood boiling a little though being an Army Vet. I would say former MILITARY people make good officers.

In my Academy, we had an Army guy (me), an Air Force guy and a Navy guy (US Navy Marine Corps) (HAHA....jk). So this one class we had, the instructor had been in the Air Force. Well during a break in class, the instructor was in the restroom taking a tinkle as was the Marine from my class. After finishing, the instructor zips up and starts walking out of the restroom. The Marine says, "In the Marine Corps, they taught us to wash our hands after we peed." The instructor replies, "In the Air Force, they taught us not to **** on our hands."

Comment

Marine, Army, Navy, AF, GC, each have an advantage in that they have a level of discipline, of carriage, that most civilian recruits don't have. It is simply a fact of life. Bullet proof?? , well, there is a level of confidence that others find irritating. It is called confidence. We have it,......you don't ! Fact of life!

In our normal duties, we see more carnage than most local PDs see in six months, and all of this is before eight a.m... !

Fact!

Comment

Former Military Serving as Peace Officers

First off, I have never been in the military, but I have a great deal of respect for the military. I do occasionally interact with members of the Minnesota Army National Guard and United States Coast Guard. I get the sense that on the whole the United States Coast Guard gets the most law enforcement experience as an organization. As individuals, I am sure that many members of other branches get as much or more law enforcement experience than many members of the USCG. I must say that the members of the Minnesota Army National Guard that I have worked with have been great. I have attended classes at a United States Air Force Base and was quite impressed with what I saw there. I have next to no direct working experience with members of the USN or USMC.

I read an article that I found interesting a few months back in Time or Newsweek. It discussed disaster relief efforts after Katrina and how the United States Coast Guard really performed an outstanding mission. It included discussion of how the Coast Guard differered from the other branches in several aspects. One of them was that since the Coast Guard was so small, that nobody "gets lost" in the organization. It mentioned that everyone has tasks to do and because they are so small everyone has to carry their share of the workload. It also discussed management style and how there are standing orders of what to do so that nobody should ever be just waiting around to be told what to do, in essence. In fact, one of the guys intereviewed had been in the Navy first and then switched to the Coast Guard. My opinion was that because he had experience in both, he was probably a good person to compare and contrast the two services.

Again, on the outside looking in, I get the sense that what your job is in the armed forces can make a big difference in how you will perform as civilian law enforcement. Certainly having a number of hours in an Army helicopter would give you a huge leg up on others if you wanted to be a pilot for a police agency.

I have also been told that being with a law enforcement unit in the Air Force Security Police is more similar to civilian police work than the other military law enforcement unit. At least in terms of patrol. Can anyone tell me if that is accurate?

I have also worked with a deputy U.S. Marshal in the past that was former Army, and he seems like a real heads up guy and a hell of a fugitive hunter. Actually, now that I think about it, probably many (most?) of the guys and gals in the United States Marshals Service are former military. If I recall correctly, most of them have stated that the guys that seem to be good at working fugitive cases are the ones that are self-disciplined and individually motivated. They did talk something about a certain military mindset where some folks need to be constantly supervised and that those folks either change or decide that they really aren't cut out for fugitive work.
                          Last edited by Jim1648; 05-18-2007, 10:43 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

Originally posted by old_guy View Post
                            Marine, Army, Navy, AF, GC, each have an advantage in that they have a level of discipline, of carriage, that most civilian recruits don't have. It is simply a fact of life. Bullet proof?? , well, there is a level of confidence that others find irritating. It is called confidence. We have it,......you don't ! Fact of life!

In our normal duties, we see more carnage than most local PDs see in six months, and all of this is before eight a.m... !

Fact!
                            Great post...as for the Ole', remember we might be wounded but never down'! Bless all those who serve the civilian pops in one way or another. It's because of your dedication and service that we can still smile and live lives in a country like no other on the face of the earth

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                              First off, I have never been in the military, but I have a great deal of respect for the military. I do occasionally interact with members of the Minnesota Army National Guard and United States Coast Guard. I get the sense that on the whole the United States Coast Guard gets the most law enforcement experience as an organization. As individuals, I am sure that many members of other branches get as much or more law enforcement experience than many members of the USCG. I must say that the members of the Minnesota Army National Guard that I have worked with have been great. I have attended classes at a United States Air Force Base and was quite impressed with what I saw there. I have next to no direct working experience with members of the USN or USMC.

I read an article that I found interesting a few months back in Time or Newsweek. It discussed disaster relief efforts after Katrina and how the United States Coast Guard really performed an outstanding mission. It included discussion of how the Coast Guard differered from the other branches in several aspects. One of them was that since the Coast Guard was so small, that nobody "gets lost" in the organization. It mentioned that everyone has tasks to do and because they are so small everyone has to carry their share of the workload. It also discussed management style and how there are standing orders of what to do so that nobody should ever be just waiting around to be told what to do, in essence. In fact, one of the guys intereviewed had been in the Navy first and then switched to the Coast Guard. My opinion was that because he had experience in both, he was probably a good person to compare and contrast the two services.

Again, on the outside looking in, I get the sense that what your job is in the armed forces can make a big difference in how you will perform as civilian law enforcement. Certainly having a number of hours in an Army helicopter would give you a huge leg up on others if you wanted to be a pilot for a police agency.

I have also been told that being with a law enforcement unit in the Air Force Security Police is more similar to civilian police work than the other military law enforcement unit. At least in terms of patrol. Can anyone tell me if that is accurate?

I have also worked with a deputy U.S. Marshal in the past that was former Army, and he seems like a real heads up guy and a hell of a fugitive hunter. Actually, now that I think about it, probably many (most?) of the guys and gals in the United States Marshals Service are former military. If I recall correctly, most of them have stated that the guys that seem to be good at working fugitive cases are the ones that are self-disciplined and individually motivated. They did talk something about a certain military mindset where some folks need to be constantly supervised and that those folks either change or decide that they really aren't cut out for fugitive work.
                              Thanks Jim, Wow, What can I say, you just blew me away with a comment concerning those who have served in the military honorably and seem to have a leg up for a job well done in choosing to go on with a job in LE. We are the beneficiaries of these "chosen ones" After having read your post, I am confident there has to be others out there with the constitution you have and that make me feel good! THANKS For your service and blessings go with you always.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3939 users online. 199 members and 3740 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X