300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCLEP (What to expect)

Greetings everyone, I thought I would throw a little information for anyone who is having any thoughts concerning employment in the MCLEP field. Let me begin by telling you I am a retired Marine (89-2011) who was Military Police and had witnessed the implementation of MCLEP back in 2005. Unfortunately, this 'program' has not moved forward since it's development, especially concerning the overall treatment of its officers, the C in MCLEP may state 'Civilian' but sadly this isn't the case. Those of us former MP's who 'rolled over' into this job, for the most part, can put up with the 'games' as we say because we've 'been there, done that'. I just want to be clear that this is obviously a military atmosphere and those occasional situations of your judgement will be questioned more so than if you were practicing law enforcement outside of a military installation. If you do decide to give MCLEP a try DO NOT accept a pay grade of GS 6 or below. For a better work environment I suggest picking a base that has an all MCLEP infrastructure, not a PMO (both MP's and MCLEP). Bases like Albany,Ga., Blount Island, Fl, also one in New Orleans are an all MCLEP chain of command, check those out first. I'll end this with some observations I have witnessed as a MCLEP officer, straight forward, blunt no b.s.-

- You will be required to salute military officers with your silly baseball hat, no exceptions. But what if you're a MCLEP and a Reserve Marine Corps Officer, say a Major rank? Sorry, you WILL salute that young Lieutenant fresh out of Officers Candidates School and the grumpy retired officer whose day just won't go right if he doesn't get his salute from a Federal Civilian Officer (YOU!)

- Every other Tuesday is Training Day, it will become redundant, repetitive and boring. Think you will have a sleep schedule? Thanks to that you won't. How about shooting on a pistol range during a winter storm watch when the rest of the base has been closed? Yep. All my retired Marines say, 'GOOD TRAINING!!', yeah well this ol retired Marine will tell you to STFU.

- Conducting a traffic stop and your driver is a Colonel, who makes it very clear he knows the Provost Marshal, I'm sure you can surmise the outcome. I'm sure if you were a State Trooper and pulled said Colonel over for the same infraction, both his hands will be on that steering wheel calling you 'Sir', but as soon as he gets to that military gate he's thinking, "I'm somebody again." You will be amazed at the ego and arrogance you will constantly run into at a gate or a traffic stop.

- Gatehouse, Guard shack, your Post, whatever you want to call it will most likely be grungy and your heat or A/C will be broken. Getting it fixed/replaced in a timely manner is out of the question.

- You will occasionally be patrolling or posted at a gate with a Marine MP who doesn't wash his uniform or brushes his teeth. You can complain all you want, complaining by the way marks you unfavorable even though you have good intentions.

- Depending on which base you are employed at, when you are being posted at a gate, you will cram into a van (no heat or A/C) with those smelly Marines who will then crank up the volume on their cell phone speakers.

- Your patrol car will be a piece of crap inside and out. You will not be assigned your own car nor take it home. They are driven 24/7, the equipment is out dated, when a new patrol car is brought in they will drill and tear it up and put the old lights/siren and console in to save money.

- You cannot take your assigned weapon home with you, even though you have a conceal carry authorization. Can you see that Marine 'dominance' coming through yet?

- You will stand in prolonged formations for occasional promotions and awards that have nothing to do with MCLEP officers. Semper Fi Mack.

- The union that represents you for reporting grievances, mistreatment, etc. is useless, don't waste your money on membership.

- Just like any agency there is the 'good ol' boy' network', it is what it is....

So there you have it, that's what I could think of off the top of my head and trust me there's much more. Sadly it's the command that can make it enjoyable or not, and they're mostly out for themselves. I've witnessed MP commanders who absolutely despise the MCLEP program and have personally overheard one state, "I wish it had never been created.' Folks, if you want to practice real law enforcement, this MCLEP isn't for you, you will have much more responsibility, respect and TEAMWORK serving in an outside agency, trust me on this. MCLEP is more for the former military who can put up with the b.s, and still have some gas left in the tank. I have heard the Army civilian police is a good gig, no stupid hats and no saluting or standing gates, strictly patrols and answering calls. A friend of mine left MCLEP for it and was at Ft. Belvoir, told me he's likes it much better there. Good luck.
    Last edited by MarineWarrior; 12-07-2019, 06:09 AM.

Originally posted by MarineWarrior View Post
    Greetings everyone, I thought I would throw a little information for anyone who is having any thoughts concerning employment in the MCLEP field. Let me begin by telling you I am a retired Marine (89-2011) who was Military Police and had witnessed the implementation of MCLEP back in 2005. Unfortunately, this 'program' has not moved forward since it's development, especially concerning the overall treatment of its officers, the C in MCLEP may state 'Civilian' but sadly this isn't the case. Those of us former MP's who 'rolled over' into this job, for the most part, can put up with the 'games' as we say because we've 'been there, done that'. I just want to be clear that this is obviously a military atmosphere and those occasional situations of your judgement will be questioned more so than if you were practicing law enforcement outside of a military installation. If you do decide to give MCLEP a try DO NOT accept a pay grade of GS 6 or below. For a better work environment I suggest picking a base that has an all MCLEP infrastructure, not a PMO (both MP's and MCLEP). Bases like Albany,Ga., Blount Island, Fl, also one in New Orleans are an all MCLEP chain of command, check those out first. I'll end this with some observations I have witnessed as a MCLEP officer, straight forward, blunt no b.s.-

- You will be required to salute military officers with your silly baseball hat, no exceptions. But what if you're a MCLEP and a Reserve Marine Corps Officer, say a Major rank? Sorry, you WILL salute that young Lieutenant fresh out of Officers Candidates School and the grumpy retired officer whose day just won't go right if he doesn't get his salute from a Federal Civilian Officer (YOU!)

- Every other Tuesday is Training Day, it will become redundant, repetitive and boring. Think you will have a sleep schedule? Thanks to that you won't. How about shooting on a pistol range during a winter storm watch when the rest of the base has been closed? Yep. All my retired Marines say, 'GOOD TRAINING!!', yeah well this ol retired Marine will tell you to STFU.

- Conducting a traffic stop and your driver is a Colonel, who makes it very clear he knows the Provost Marshal, I'm sure you can surmise the outcome. I'm sure if you were a State Trooper and pulled said Colonel over for the same infraction, both his hands will be on that steering wheel calling you 'Sir', but as soon as he gets to that military gate he's thinking, "I'm somebody again." You will be amazed at the ego and arrogance you will constantly run into at a gate or a traffic stop.

- Gatehouse, Guard shack, your Post, whatever you want to call it will most likely be grungy and your heat or A/C will be broken. Getting it fixed/replaced in a timely manner is out of the question.

- You will occasionally be patrolling or posted at a gate with a Marine MP who doesn't wash his uniform or brushes his teeth. You can complain all you want, complaining by the way marks you unfavorable even though you have good intentions.

- Depending on which base you are employed at, when you are being posted at a gate, you will cram into a van (no heat or A/C) with those smelly Marines who will then crank up the volume on their cell phone speakers.

- Your patrol car will be a piece of crap inside and out. You will not be assigned your own car nor take it home. They are driven 24/7, the equipment is out dated, when a new patrol car is brought in they will drill and tear it up and put the old lights/siren and console in to save money.

- You cannot take your assigned weapon home with you, even though you have a conceal carry authorization. Can you see that Marine 'dominance' coming through yet?

- You will stand in prolonged formations for occasional promotions and awards that have nothing to do with MCLEP officers. Semper Fi Mack.

- The union that represents you for reporting grievances, mistreatment, etc. is useless, don't waste your money on membership.

- Just like any agency there is the 'good ol' boy' network', it is what it is....

So there you have it, that's what I could think of off the top of my head and trust me there's much more. Sadly it's the command that can make it enjoyable or not, and they're mostly out for themselves. I've witnessed MP commanders who absolutely despise the MCLEP program and have personally overheard one state, "I wish it had never been created.' Folks, if you want to practice real law enforcement, this MCLEP isn't for you, you will have much more responsibility, respect and TEAMWORK serving in an outside agency, trust me on this. MCLEP is more for the former military who can put up with the b.s, and still have some gas left in the tank. I have heard the Army civilian police is a good gig, no stupid hats and no saluting or standing gates, strictly patrols and answering calls. A friend of mine left MCLEP for it and was at Ft. Belvoir, told me he's likes it much better there. Good luck.
    Great info!

Comment

Teamwork? Civilian LE has it's share of blue falcons.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
        Teamwork? Civilian LE has it's share of blue falcons.
        Usually known as Admin or Chief...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• parkscout93
          parkscout93 commented
          Editing a comment
          C.H.A.O.S. = Chief has arrived on scene.

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

Usually known as Admin or Chief...
        Believe it or not the patrol officers and up will also do it to you.

Comment

Thanks for the thread - this provides good insight. I'm DACP and was curious as to how some of the others do it. DACP isn't all that great as well unfortunately. My biggest qualm is what you said about traffic stops, everyone seems to know the Chief or Commander - you can barley do your job as a "cop".

Comment

Originally posted by Easthawk24 View Post
            Thanks for the thread - this provides good insight. I'm DACP and was curious as to how some of the others do it. DACP isn't all that great as well unfortunately. My biggest qualm is what you said about traffic stops, everyone seems to know the Chief or Commander - you can barley do your job as a "cop".
            That happens on the outside too.

Comment

I've been a MCCLEP for that last 3 years, and sadly I agree with most of what you said. It's a good job as far as pay and benefits go, but it's definitely not a real law enforcement position. I will say though, it's a pretty damn good stepping stone for getting into better LE positions down the road. As dumb as the MCCLEP program can be, we have had quite a few of our officers end up getting hired by agencies like Federal Protective Service, Pentagon Police and even the U.S. Marshals.

Comment

Started with MCCLEP myself 2014-2017 29 Palms. Now in a 6C covered agency far from DoD. What you learn is that Federal Law Enforcement in its entirety is limited in the general law enforcement sense. The missions are far more specific on particular sets of crimes. Even more general purpose agencies like the U.S. Marshals find themselves primarily conducting prisoner transports, and or some type of facilitated court room work. My agency while partially generalized due to its public safety concepts, is also specific on certain types of crimes to investigate, we are not negated to only work an installation, but limited on what we investigate and or enforce for those occasional times we do need to make residential visits.

0083 Positions tend to be the most generalized but are limited to specific geography. In the case of MCCLEP fulfilling a mission for the U.S. Marine Corps. Make no mistake, you work for the Marines and provide them a service. It can however be a good stepping stone those under 37, who plan to move onto 6C Covered positions within the Federal Government. It can even be a stepping stone for those over, who may decide to move on into other 0083 positions, such as VA Police, US Mint Police, etc. Just keep in mind, this route is primarily governmental in nature and for MCCLEP specifically you will primarily be supporting the U.S. Marine Corps with enforcing the provisions of Title 10, (i.e. Uniform Code of Military Justice,) and a few various administrative and regulatory provisions. (i.e. think enforcing traffic through an antiquated point based system on the installations.) You may occasionally issue a civilian charges in federal court via a violation notice. (i.e. shoplifters and trespass), and if an exclusive jurisdiction traffic related laws under 18 USC 13 Assimilative Crimes Act. So yes, you do gain relevant experience for other federal agencies. (A good stepping stone).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8178 users online. 217 members and 7961 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X