Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MP K-9 Handler

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MP K-9 Handler

    I have some questions about some Army MOS's. Is an MP K-9 handler an entry level position? Is this a highly sought after MOS? Do they perform similar job functions to civilian police k-9 handlers?

    What about EPW Ops? What do they do? What does it take to become a member of this unit.

    Also, anyone know anything about the one MP airborne assault unit?

    I am interested in enlisting in the Army as an MP, and just wanted to get some answers from someone besides a recruiter!

    Thanks in advance for any info you might have to offer...

  • #2
    Originally posted by BigRuckuss
    I have some questions about some Army MOS's. Is an MP K-9 handler an entry level position? Is this a highly sought after MOS? Do they perform similar job functions to civilian police k-9 handlers?

    What about EPW Ops? What do they do? What does it take to become a member of this unit.

    Also, anyone know anything about the one MP airborne assault unit?

    I am interested in enlisting in the Army as an MP, and just wanted to get some answers from someone besides a recruiter!

    Thanks in advance for any info you might have to offer...

    K9 is not an MOS its an additional skill identifier tacked onto the end of your MOS ie 31B107Z the 7Z is the identifier. Its not entry level, but you might be able to get the school in you initial enlistment contract. Ask the recruiter and dont take no for an answer. The same goes for Jump School and Air Assault School. They should be gotten before entry. Go directly after Basic and AIT. EPW Ops is its own MOD 31E10 Its still MP, just a different track at AIT. I hold both 31B40 and 31E40 MOS's with a few additional skill identifiers and PSD school which is not an Additional skill ID yet. Most stuff can be contracted.

    When you o to the recruiter, tell him, dont ask, tell him you want jump school and Air Assault. Then tell him you want to be a dog handler. get it all in the initial enlistment contract which will be a 6 by 2. You'll have to go active duty unless you have a dog unit near you in the reserve, but since i dont think there is any such thing it will have to be active. once you get done with the additional schools, you can get to your duty station and ask for other schools. you'll promote out of K9 in a few years, after that get SRT, PSD, MPI, EPW or what ever you want. it might take re enlistment, you have to have a certain number of years left to get some schools. remember you still have to do you NCOES schools like Warrior Leadership Course, Basic NCO and Advanced NCO to get your promotions. those are long schools.

    the MP MOS is 31B. There is also CID 31D, EPW 31E. the army has a bunch of options for the MP. If you can find time between deployments to go to the schools. Get ready to eat red tape and bulls***.

    Hope I helped.
    It takes a Wolf.......

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Irishluck31
      K9 is not an MOS its an additional skill identifier tacked onto the end of your MOS ie 31B107Z the 7Z is the identifier. Its not entry level, but you might be able to get the school in you initial enlistment contract. Ask the recruiter and dont take no for an answer. The same goes for Jump School and Air Assault School. They should be gotten before entry. Go directly after Basic and AIT. EPW Ops is its own MOD 31E10 Its still MP, just a different track at AIT. I hold both 31B40 and 31E40 MOS's with a few additional skill identifiers and PSD school which is not an Additional skill ID yet. Most stuff can be contracted.

      When you o to the recruiter, tell him, dont ask, tell him you want jump school and Air Assault. Then tell him you want to be a dog handler. get it all in the initial enlistment contract which will be a 6 by 2. You'll have to go active duty unless you have a dog unit near you in the reserve, but since i dont think there is any such thing it will have to be active. once you get done with the additional schools, you can get to your duty station and ask for other schools. you'll promote out of K9 in a few years, after that get SRT, PSD, MPI, EPW or what ever you want. it might take re enlistment, you have to have a certain number of years left to get some schools. remember you still have to do you NCOES schools like Warrior Leadership Course, Basic NCO and Advanced NCO to get your promotions. those are long schools.

      the MP MOS is 31B. There is also CID 31D, EPW 31E. the army has a bunch of options for the MP. If you can find time between deployments to go to the schools. Get ready to eat red tape and bulls***.

      Hope I helped.
      Wow, you make me want to go back into the MPs!

      Comment


      • #4
        From the Schoolhouse webpage and AR 190-12.......

        Prerequisites (IAW AR 190-12):
        1) Must be Military Police (MOS 31B) or DOD Civilian Guard
        2) Must meet medical requirements (IAW AR 190-12, AR 40-501, and DA PAM 611-21)
        3) Must be a volunteer; and submit a DA 4187 with a letter of recommendation from the MACOM MWD Program Manager, installation Kennel Master or MWD Plans NCO

        No way you can get the bolded done as a recruit at MEPS. You would have to get to your first duty station before you can apply.......


        http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r190_12.pdf


        And yes, K-9 school is a highly sought after school. Most units require you to be a E-4 or above before you can apply.....and probably have some sort of pecking order or roster on who can go......

        Comment


        • #5
          In Marine MP school they'll have a board toward the end of school for the Marines interested in going to MWD School. There're only a few spots per class, and you have to have completed MP Basic school. But in the Marine Corps, you can jump right into it. At least that's the way it was when I was there. Might've changed.
          Petty thugs, selling drugs. If you think you can try and sell bammer – you'll end up going to the slammer!

          - Sheriff John Bunnell


          ...tool.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by me_again
            Wow, you make me want to go back into the MPs!

            Dont go back, never look back.
            It takes a Wolf.......

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Irishluck31
              Dont go back, never look back.

              Atleast not with a Bush in the White House....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Irishluck31
                K9 is not an MOS its an additional skill identifier tacked onto the end of your MOS ie 31B107Z the 7Z is the identifier. Its not entry level, but you might be able to get the school in you initial enlistment contract. Ask the recruiter and dont take no for an answer. The same goes for Jump School and Air Assault School. They should be gotten before entry. Go directly after Basic and AIT. EPW Ops is its own MOD 31E10 Its still MP, just a different track at AIT. I hold both 31B40 and 31E40 MOS's with a few additional skill identifiers and PSD school which is not an Additional skill ID yet. Most stuff can be contracted.

                When you o to the recruiter, tell him, dont ask, tell him you want jump school and Air Assault. Then tell him you want to be a dog handler. get it all in the initial enlistment contract which will be a 6 by 2. You'll have to go active duty unless you have a dog unit near you in the reserve, but since i dont think there is any such thing it will have to be active. once you get done with the additional schools, you can get to your duty station and ask for other schools. you'll promote out of K9 in a few years, after that get SRT, PSD, MPI, EPW or what ever you want. it might take re enlistment, you have to have a certain number of years left to get some schools. remember you still have to do you NCOES schools like Warrior Leadership Course, Basic NCO and Advanced NCO to get your promotions. those are long schools.

                the MP MOS is 31B. There is also CID 31D, EPW 31E. the army has a bunch of options for the MP. If you can find time between deployments to go to the schools. Get ready to eat red tape and bulls***.

                Hope I helped.
                Wow...lots of good info...thanks!

                I do have a few more questions.

                Is there some place that lists all the ARMY's MOS's and the corresponding number codes?

                What is EPW ops & PSD school?

                I'm gonna go active duty...and with my college will be comming in as an E-4...

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Q9 ASI is a sweet one too. You sit in a patrol vehicle, run radar, and only respond to calls you want to (Except MVA's.. you have to respond to them.). I'd shoot for that..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BigRuckuss
                    Wow...lots of good info...thanks!

                    I do have a few more questions.

                    Is there some place that lists all the ARMY's MOS's and the corresponding number codes?

                    What is EPW ops & PSD school?

                    I'm gonna go active duty...and with my college will be comming in as an E-4...
                    I am sure there is a place to get the MOS and ASI's, but I dont know where it is, talk to the recruiter about that.

                    EPW Ops=Enemy Prisoner of War Operations MOS 31E. Used to be called POW. I guess thats sounded to mean. I am a Civ Cop and my Primary MOS is 31E. I love it. Running a make shift prson in the middle of no where is a blast. Learning how to set it up, run it and take it down. PSD=Protective Service Detachement. Body Guard work. To much butt kissing for me. The school is great fun. SRT School is a blast as well.

                    Like I said before. Get your air bourne and air Assault in you contract. then go do what ever you want. I think if I had it to do over again I would have gotten into Civial Affairs or Military Intel, maybe Psy Ops.

                    In the Army, if you can stand the bull and red tape, you can do what you want as far as jobs. Keep you PT up, yous schools up and your quals up and you'll get promoted. When you get tasked with Drill Sgt or recruiter do one of them. I really wish I could have gone to DS School. Thats the one i really wanted.

                    I do love the Army, its just no good for me anymore. Time to walk out the front door instead of getting carried out the back. know what i mean.
                    It takes a Wolf.......

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I got the Q9 traffic school ASI, dude I went to the school, and NEVER WORKED TRAFFIC I was P/O. But I wasnt the only one they had people in traffic working without the ASI, but when your a SGT, and above you get treated better so. Atleast I had the school, and I'm outa there [The Army]. The Army was the best mistake of my life! But I would do it again if it wasnt any CSM SGM or 1SG they really are a mood killer!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        BigRuck, if your coming in with a degree you might as well be an officer man, better pay, a lot better treatment! Just my 2 cents! Airborne!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mejo83
                          BigRuck, if your coming in with a degree you might as well be an officer man, better pay, a lot better treatment! Just my 2 cents! Airborne!
                          Only problem with being an O.....is that he won't be playing MP on the streets. He will be in operations, admin, support, etc......pushing papers.

                          He will be with his Platoon as a PL if he's in a Combat Support or Division MP Company......and that will have him in Iraq running Convoys, EPW, Route Recon, etc.....missions.....

                          And before you ask, there are no O's in CID that work cases. They run the various detachments.....they do not work cases. Only enlisted and Warrants do that......

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If you go O do the Warrant thing like the Bear said. They work cases and PSO and all the good stuff. Believe it or not, MP is not a feeder into CID as a warrant. MP feeds into Pilot warrant. I believe enlisted CID is 31D. Two years as a 31D and a degree will get you Warrant.
                            It takes a Wolf.......

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Irishluck31
                              If you go O do the Warrant thing like the Bear said. They work cases and PSO and all the good stuff. Believe it or not, MP is not a feeder into CID as a warrant. MP feeds into Pilot warrant. I believe enlisted CID is 31D. Two years as a 31D and a degree will get you Warrant.
                              Actually, you can go from MP to CID easier......but if your unit (regardless of your MOS) will release you, you can do a "Internship" with CID for 6 months and you can get in that way......


                              Enlisted Requirements:
                              - U.S. citizenship
                              - No record of psychological or pathological personality disorders
                              - No record of unsatisfactory credit
                              - Suitable character established by a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) leading to a Top Secret clearance
                              - No civil court or court martial convictions
                              - Physical profile 222221 or higher, normal color vision
                              - ST score of 110 or higher. ST 107 if tested on or after 2 January 2002
                              - Ability to speak and write clearly
                              - Minimum age of 21 with at least two years of military experience but not more than 10
                              - 2 years of college or at least 60 semester credit hours
                              - Maximum grade of E-5 Sergeant (non-promotable)
                              - 60 months of service obligation upon completion of the apprentice special agent course
                              - Prefer Soldiers with civilian or military law enforcement experience

                              For additional information, contact the nearest CID office or send an email to the CID Accession office at [email protected] or call 703-806-0360.


                              http://www.cid.army.mil/recruiting.htm


                              If I had to do it all over again, I would have done my time as a MP and went CID.......

                              I am looking at going back into the Reserves/Guard. If I do, I will probably go to the CID Unit that works out of the DC Guard.....

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6351 users online. 359 members and 5992 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X