X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaRullo
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2017

I Could Use Some Advice

I am 17 years old and am going into my final year of high school. I have drawn interest in becoming involved with law enforcement in some type of way down the road. Whether that is DEA, State Police, FBI , etc. I do want to have some military experience which comes with perks. My college will be paid for, I'll have experience and health benefits. I'm coming winding down to make a final decision on which branch I want to enlist in. Keep in mind I want to either enlist Guard/Reserve but the question is which branch. I'm deciding between going Army MIlitary Police or Air Force Security Forces. What is everyones thoughts since I am going to be part time? Which is the better branch to choose from? Does anyone have any advice for me? The pros and cons for me is travel. For the Air Force reserve and guard base its an hour and 30 minutes away while the Army reserve and guard base is about a 45 minute drive. Also, I have been looking into the Phoenix Ravens . I don't know alot about it but if some of you could inform me a little bit and guide me as to what i should look into more I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!!!
  • Iowa #1603
    Senior Veteran
    • Aug 2007

Which ever branch trips YOUR trigger......................my biases shouldn't make your decisions for you
    I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• JNCrumpler
      • Jul 2017

Personally I don't suggest reserves at all. But if you must join one i suggest stay away from the army guard. I dislike it, been in almost 6 years and don't plan on re enlisting. I would always suggest go to whichever branch you fancy, but at least look at active duty. Don't rush into either of them

Comment

• al_nelson
        Forum Member
        • Aug 2017

Hey there,
        I am a Navy Master-at-arms and a Watch Commander of a section for base police. I have been in almost 4 years and getting out and going local LE in the area I was stationed. If your desire is to go to Federal LE or local LE, Active Duty service will help you much more than Reserve or Guard. Active Duty definitely has it's benefits when it comes to a follow up career in LE, veterans preference being a major one. Other factors are job experience and college tuition. In many cases you have may have the ability to completely earn an Associates degree WHILE on active duty with Tuition Assistance and then have 36 months of education for free afterwards through the GI Bill. Plus.. if you join as MP, MA, SF etc you get some somewhat related experience (although the level of proficiency is nowhere near that of local PD).
        A downside is that you may go SF,MA, MP and get assigned to unit that does practically NO law enforcement work and is essentially a guard.
        Also keep in mind that GI bill for Reserve and Guard is not the same as GI bill for active duty.

Best of luck,
        Al

Comment

• cwo4uscgret
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2017

Most Federal LEO Jobs (DEA, FBI, ICE, covered positions, etc.) require a Bachelor's Degree as part of the qualfication process.

Join the service, use your GI Bill for a degree, and then apply for the Federal Agency of choice!

Comment

• MRA89
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2016

I went straight into the reserves as a master at arms. Luckily my LPO is an LAPD sergeant so we actually get to do vehicle patrols while on drill weekend because he wants us to get that experience. He assist the active duty members. However, this is not the case with most reserve units. You may just end up doing admin work on drill weekends and get zero law enforcement experience.
            I personally like the reserves but I'm still new. I like the fact that we can chose where we want to deploy to. You can also go on ADT orders as a reservist and gain more AD experience.
            I chose Navy because I love all the traditions of the Navy. I also like the large variety of jobs you can have in the Navy. Basically look at each branch carefully and see which one offers what you are interested in. Don't count out the coast guard.

Comment

• Jond36
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2017

Try Coast Guard ME for a technical "enforcement" job but again +1 on guard or reserves. Stay away. So many disadvantages. Most don't want to pay for any type of military courses either i.e. Airborne or Rangers, etc. Personal opinion is active or nothing.

Btw to be a Veteran under USAJobs, or the VEOA for that matter, you must serve in a war or be active duty for at least 3 years. For VA benefits you most likely have to serve a full 6 years or deploy to get the housing loan, GI Bill, blah blah blah. Something to think about

Comment

• J2H
                "Freedom Delivery!"
                • Jan 2008

Phoenix Ravens normally require at least 24-36 mos of service (good service) to try-out.
                Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

• Outsider11
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2017

Go active duty! Better benefits, more experience, looks better overall

Comment

• Ex Army MP
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cwo4uscgret
                    Most Federal LEO Jobs (DEA, FBI, ICE, covered positions, etc.) require a Bachelor's Degree as part of the qualfication process.

Join the service, use your GI Bill for a degree, and then apply for the Federal Agency of choice!
                    The thing is, you don't get the GI Bill in the reserves or guard unless you mobilize or deploy. You also need a full three years to get 100% of the tuition, books and BAH.

I am a reservist and vested in the GI Bill but already had a JD before coming in. Luckily I was allowed to transfer my GI Bill to my kids.

I am also told that in my state(NJ), the guard gives free tuition to go to any state school. Not sure if every state guard is like this.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

• Ex Army MP
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Outsider11
                      Go active duty! Better benefits, more experience, looks better overall
                      It depends. If you have a high paying civilian job, which most people don't if they are 18, then reserves or guard is a great idea and here is why:

Under USERRA, you can mobilize year to year and they have to hold your job for 5 years. However, any orders that are in support of operations overseas, whether you are actually deployed or not, don't count against the clock.

I bet people on this forum know cops who are gone more than they are on the job. Anyway, deployment money is great because of all of the allowances. But if you mobilize state side, you get BAH based on home of record and a daily per diem at your duty station to rent an apartment( unless you're an E-4 or below because they'll stick you in the barracks.

I can write a book on this. I was active before but now USAR. I just finished my forth mobilization( Fort Bragg) and was getting NJ BAH and an additional $2575 per month to rent an $850.00 which was on post.

It's nuts.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

• Exbpa340
                        West Coast DO
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by DaRullo
                        I am 17 years old and am going into my final year of high school. I have drawn interest in becoming involved with law enforcement in some type of way down the road. Whether that is DEA, State Police, FBI , etc. I do want to have some military experience which comes with perks. My college will be paid for, I'll have experience and health benefits. I'm coming winding down to make a final decision on which branch I want to enlist in. Keep in mind I want to either enlist Guard/Reserve but the question is which branch. I'm deciding between going Army MIlitary Police or Air Force Security Forces. What is everyones thoughts since I am going to be part time? Which is the better branch to choose from? Does anyone have any advice for me? The pros and cons for me is travel. For the Air Force reserve and guard base its an hour and 30 minutes away while the Army reserve and guard base is about a 45 minute drive. Also, I have been looking into the Phoenix Ravens . I don't know alot about it but if some of you could inform me a little bit and guide me as to what i should look into more I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!!!
                        I am a current FED LEO and began my career as an active duty Army MP back in the 90s. I served for 5 years and it assisted me greatly over the years but for my son I have recommended a different course.

My son is 21 (actually 21 1/2) years old and has worked part time (20 hrs a week) for TSA (as a Transportation Security Officer) for just over three years. He has already earned an associates in criminal justice and is 9 classes from earning his bachelors degree. He has been taking BJJ classes since he was 10 and is currently a purple belt. To top it al off he has paid for everything himself except the tuition from his first semester of college and has zero debt. He is going through the hiring process for the Border Patrol ( I am also a former Border Patrol Agent). The Border Patrol is a good entry level Federal Law Enforcement position that pays very well. It is a fun job and there are times that I miss it. He still hasn’t decided where he wants to end up but he is off to tremendous start.

If you decide to enlist in the military it would be much more beneficial to go active duty. Good luck!!!
                        “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                        DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• J2H
                          "Freedom Delivery!"
                          • Jan 2008

Phoenix Ravens requires a clean service record and when I was in, at least 36-48 mos TIS
                          Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                          Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
                            One Night In Bangkok
                            • Dec 2004

Don't snort cocaine off a prostitute's butt is the best I can do for advice.
                            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

• shortyj
                              City Cop
                              • Oct 2016

I was in the Army NG for 4 years and then made the switch to the Air National Guard after that. I wish I would have joined the air force right off the bat...

When it comes to deciding Army or Air Force- thats an easy choice because the 2 are very different. In the Army you’ll do things like building tents, carrying an M16 and qualifying with it every year, lay in the dirt during cold, hot, rain etc, ruck marches (always hated those), PT test is a bit more difficult.

In the Air Force you’ll never be outside doing anything unless its PT. AF doesnt PT in the rain or if its too cold. You dont have a weapon unless you are security forces. Anytime you go to a school or a training you will stay in a nice hotel NOT a tent. Oh and the Army eats MREs, Air force does not.

As far as eduction benefits go....the National Guard has good education benefts. Now this all depends on your state as well. Look into a program called EAP (education assistance program). The guard pays for each semester as you go. You will also qualifiy for the post 9/11 GI bill which will give you a monthly stipend for being in school full time while in the guard.

Now when it comes to using that experience in becoming a police officer...departments look at your resume and they will see “military” they don’t necessarily care whether its active duty, reserves, or guard. To qualify for veterans prefence points you will have to complete your first contractual ageeement. Although, the state police where Im from will give you the veterans preference for just being in the military. But a bachelors degree or higher will also be a good idea.

BTW, when I was in the Army I drove an hour and a half to drill, its nbd.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17705 users online. 36 members and 17669 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...