300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force 0083 and VA LETC

Since most Air Force 0083 Police Officers attend the VA's LETC in Little Rock, would an AF 0083 be able to switch to the VA Police? Obviously the AF 0083 would have to apply and get selected, but I'm assuming the training at the VA LETC is the same for VA 0083's and AF 0083s.

You would go back. The courses are different
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

The beautiful thing about the 0083 field is that each service can require different "training" to make you certified as a "cop" for their respective agency. This means you could potentially go to the USAF civilian academy, transfer to the VA and go to their academy, and then transfer to the Army and be required to go through their academy. Some services have "waivers" for the academy based on federal service, time as a cop, etc. However, even with a waiver the command could still decide you need to go through the academy to learn the "Air Force way" of doing things. The knowledge you will learn is almost identical for each academy (and all training is done with the caveat- "you will probably do this differently at your home station") which makes going to successive academies a complete waste of time (but a useful revenue generator for the pencil-pushers).

The mission of the Department of Defense- to fight a war/ The mission of a NON-FEDERAL civilian police department- to stop crime <-- this sentence tells you everything you need to know about the 0083 field. As an 0083 you will enforce the law, maybe, depending on where you work. If you haven't noticed, the standards and background is less intense/rigorous than a civilian department. This is because you are seen as SUPPORT personnel. Put simply, you fill a position usually occupied by a 18-19 yr old Airman, Private, Lance Corporal, etc. You stand gates, check ID's, and do traffic enforcement (but only under the close supervision of a supervisor). You will primarily be a guard with some incidental elements of law enforcement thrown in. On the other hand, in the civilian world your only job is law enforcement with the incidental guard detail thrown in once or twice a year (unless you request it). As a civilian- you are trusted to take home your weapon, possibly your vehicle, all your gear, and other elements of your job. As a DAF 0083 (or other associated 0083's) you MUST turn in ALL equipment, even including your baton- just like that 18-19 yr old you replaced.

If you want a civilian police career apply to something not associated with the 0083 field. If you want a guard position (or retirement job like many I've seen) then 0083 is for you. If you have the ability to do good work and want to kick in doors please, for your own sake, look elsewhere.

Comment

Wow, turning in your baton? The worst 0083 position in the world is located at Naval Station Norfolk (Norfolk, VA), and is a Dept of the Navy position. However, even that place allows you to take home all of your duty belt, except M9. Weird.

Comment

When I was AD Air Force, we and the civilians turned in our batons. My DES (Army DACP) lets us take home our batons, radios, and OC, but I just leave them in my locker
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          DA Security Guard, APG MD (GS-5 Step 06)
          COE:
          VA Police Officer (GS-6), Baltimore/Perry Point MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6978 users online. 287 members and 6691 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X