300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputies

Any of you fed cops been deputized by your local sheriff dept. if so how'd it work out.

Don't know if this will help but.....

While federal officers are not considered to be California peace officers, Section 830.8 of the California Penal Code gives most of them the authority to make arrests for violations of state law as if they were California peace officers.

I believe the only exceptions are folks from BLM and the Department of Agriculture, who must be deputized by the county sheriff.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

we have the coast guard, f.b.i. , secret service and every other fed agency
      working joint task forces here, quite common, and it all works out good.
      on the other end, our deputies are ' special u.s. marshals' as well for things
      federal or out of county.
      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
        Don't know if this will help but.....

While federal officers are not considered to be California peace officers, Section 830.8 of the California Penal Code gives most of them the authority to make arrests for violations of state law as if they were California peace officers.

I believe the only exceptions are folks from BLM and the Department of Agriculture, who must be deputized by the county sheriff.
        Actually it is the opposite from my understanding as a federal agent (1811) here in Southern California. Basically we have to be sworn in by a county sheriff (or through a MOU such as the private universities do) or be part of a local/state task force. Strange because the law appears to read differently, however ALL of the agencies I work with (including mine) follow the rule that either you are deputized by a local sheriff or are part of a state/local task force, otherwise you can't excercise California peace officer powers. I'm assigned to a task force, so it's not an issue for me. The LA Air Force Base Police have California peace officer status on duty, however that peace officer status does not extend to all other federal uniformed LE agencies. L1 is correct about BLM and USDA. Again i'm speaking strictly of California, as other states laws regarding federal officers/agents peace officer status may be totally different.

830.8. (a) Federal criminal investigators and law enforcement
        officers are not California peace officers, but may exercise the
        powers of arrest of a peace officer in any of the following
        circumstances:
        (1) Any circumstances specified in Section 836 or Section 5150 of
        the Welfare and Institutions Code for violations of state or local
        laws.
        (2) When these investigators and law enforcement officers are
        engaged in the enforcement of federal criminal laws and exercise the
        arrest powers only incidental to the performance of these duties.
        (3) When requested by a California law enforcement agency to be
        involved in a joint task force or criminal investigation.
        (4) When probable cause exists to believe there is any public
        offense that involves immediate danger to persons or property.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalFed
          Actually it is the opposite from my understanding as a federal agent (1811) here in Southern California. Basically we have to be sworn in by a county sheriff (or through a MOU such as the private universities do) or be part of a local/state task force. Strange because the law appears to read differently, however ALL of the agencies I work with (including mine) follow the rule that either you are deputized by a local sheriff or are part of a state/local task force, otherwise you can't excercise California peace officer powers. I'm assigned to a task force, so it's not an issue for me. The LA Air Force Base Police have California peace officer status on duty, however that peace officer status does not extend to all other federal uniformed LE agencies. L1 is correct about BLM and USDA. Again i'm speaking strictly of California, as other states laws regarding federal officers/agents peace officer status may be totally different.

powers of arrest of a peace officer in any of the following
          circumstances:
          laws.

EEEEEEEHHHHHH!!! Wrong answer. LA AFB Police have been deputized by the Sheriff, and have 24/7 peace officer status.

Comment

powers of arrest of a peace officer
            in any of the following
            circumstances:
            laws.

As you can see from the bolded section if you are performing your federal duties and come across a violation of state law you "may excercise the powers of arrest of a peace officer"

Comment

seems like a lot of play on words, if it ever came down to it in court, i dont think anything would happen as long as it was good to go in general law enforcement.....dont think any cases would be thrown out due to it....but like i said is one of my earlier post(not this thread) it just takes that legals savy fed. police officer to make a good case law outta it......thanks for all the great replies.......:-)

Comment

Most of us local guys who know of 830.8 PC ( and don't be surprised if you ask a local cop what that is and they don't know) could care less about what you fed guys can or can't do-we'll back you if you need it and won't complain if you come to our aid(maybe LAPD "might" try and question you-but then again they look down on everybody)-The only problem i had with the Fed cop issue was when a younger Postal Pd copper helped me with a Male mental ("5150 WIC Transient) trying to get into a warehouse door) we had to take the guy down hard.Later I found out that he reported the incident and was under some sort of inv. for violating his agencies policy( WTF??! the Warehouse is right near the Postal annex and the nutcase had just been on postal property earlier) ;I was later told by an older Postal PD copper that that same rookie quit and accepted a job with the L.A. County OPS Police;as for the L.A. Airbase Pd? see them often patrolling around /near LAX and El Segundo-never heard much complaint about what they can do,but politics are always a factor
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

all said and done, wouldnt local sheriff deputizing a dept. take care of any loopholes in the politics. Seems either way us fed guys are way deep in the gray...lol...my currant dept. already has a letter of understanding for their jurisdiction that we patrol, seems like it would be a logical thing to do, and it might also take care of the grey area in hr 218 as well, at least in my limited understanding.....

p.s.
                  im prett new to the Law Enforcment world, only been doing it for little over a year, so forgive for my ignorance....thats why im holloring at u guys...lol

Comment

Originally posted by FEDCOPPER74
                    all said and done, wouldnt local sheriff deputizing a dept. take care of any loopholes in the politics. Seems either way us fed guys are way deep in the gray...lol...my currant dept. already has a letter of understanding for their jurisdiction that we patrol, seems like it would be a logical thing to do, and it might also take care of the grey area in hr 218 as well, at least in my limited understanding.....

p.s.
                    im prett new to the Law Enforcment world, only been doing it for little over a year, so forgive for my ignorance....thats why im holloring at u guys...lol

Title 18 Section 13 USC, Assimilated Crimes Act. Nothing gray about it.

Comment

Originally posted by FedCop
                      EEEEEEEHHHHHH!!! Wrong answer. LA AFB Police have been deputized by the Sheriff, and have 24/7 peace officer status.
                      No need for all caps and exclamation points FedCop, as there was nothing wrong about my answer. My intent was not to say they had no off-duty powers, rather to emphasize that they do have peace officer status, which other uniformed federal LE agencies in Los Angeles generally do not have....

On the topic raised by DOAcop38, he raises an excellent point. An agency might have all of the powers in the world vested to them according to the United States code or the California penal code. But it may be literally ALL on paper. Customs Inspectors (now called CBP Officers) have VERY broad power on the books. However administratively they are strictly curtailed from exercising much of that. Just ask the Customs folks at LAX and they will tell you what it is really like.

Yes you could "exercise" all kinds of powers under state or federal law, but you wouldn't for long after you're out of a job for violating agency policy....
                      Last edited by SoCalFed; 07-24-2006, 10:27 PM.

Comment

No need for all caps and exclamation points FedCop, as there was nothing wrong about my answer. My intent was not to say they had no off-duty powers, rather to emphasize that they do have peace officer status, which other uniformed federal LE agencies in Los Angeles generally do not have....

On the topic raised by DOAcop38, he raises an excellent point. An agency might have all of the powers in the world vested to them according to the United States code or the California penal code. But it may be literally ALL on paper. Customs Inspectors (now called CBP Officers) have VERY broad power on the books. However administratively they are strictly curtailed from exercising much of that. Just ask the Customs folks at LAX and they will tell you what it is really like.

Yes you could "exercise" all kinds of powers under state or federal law, but you wouldn't for long after you're out of a job for violating agency policy....

DING DING DING DING!!!!!
                        Give the man a prize! You are so very right on that!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5110 users online. 324 members and 4786 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X