300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Advocate General

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the JAG corps. I was thinking about going back to school for my law degree and possibly thinking of joining either the army or af reserves. I have no prior service. Any thoughts or information would be great. Thanks in advance.

I don't have any experience directly, but I am an attorney and I know some ex-JAG's. Based on what I've heard, it's a good way to go if you want trial experience. You generally will only get trial experience as a new attorney in the military, or as a prosecutor or public defender.

Generally speaking, a career as an officer in the military, whether JAG or not, seems to be a pretty good career option. They get paid pretty well with a decent housing allowance and have a good retirement system. Also, some nice opportunity for travel and overseas assignments.

Private practice may seem pretty alluring to you right now, and the money may be what is drawing you to legal work. Please be aware that not all lawyers in private practice make a lot of money, and all lawyers in private practice work VERY hard. It is not like TV, and when you graduate you will not be issued a $100,000 salary and a BMW unless you are lucky enough to land a job at a large law firm. And, there is a reason those big firms pay what they pay, they will work you to death.

Comment

Originally posted by justice12

Please be aware that not all lawyers in private practice make a lot of money, and all lawyers in private practice work VERY hard. It is not like TV, and when you graduate you will not be issued a $100,000 salary and a BMW unless you are lucky enough to land a job at a large law firm. And, there is a reason those big firms pay what they pay, they will work you to death.

He spoke the truth!!

Oh yes, he hath spoken the G0D's honest truth...

Comment

My only experience with JAG is getting warrants and other papers approved for service on the local base. I deal mostly with their civilian employees. Being a USAF retiree, I'd advise getting an education and hiring-on as a civil service employee paralegal, active duty officer (OTS or academy required), or something along that line.
        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Here is the Navy Jag Site
          Navy JAG Corps Careers Page

They will have better info than anyone else, unless a JAG Lawyer pops up on here
          Baltimore Police Dept

Written/PAT- 10/21/12-Pass
          Written Psych- 10/22/12- Pass
          BI Interview/Polygraph/Psyc - 12/5/12
          Physical -TBD

Comment

<--------she plays in JAG
            Romans 13:4 "For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil."

Comment

she used to, sadly it ended a 2 yrs ago, but nthere will alaways be reruns on USA
              Baltimore Police Dept

Written/PAT- 10/21/12-Pass
              Written Psych- 10/22/12- Pass
              BI Interview/Polygraph/Psyc - 12/5/12
              Physical -TBD

Comment

Originally posted by NSAPoland
                <--------she plays in JAG
                And all this time I thought that was a picture of you!
                "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by justice12
                  I don't have any experience directly, but I am an attorney and I know some ex-JAG's. Based on what I've heard, it's a good way to go if you want trial experience. You generally will only get trial experience as a new attorney in the military, or as a prosecutor or public defender.

Generally speaking, a career as an officer in the military, whether JAG or not, seems to be a pretty good career option. They get paid pretty well with a decent housing allowance and have a good retirement system. Also, some nice opportunity for travel and overseas assignments.

Private practice may seem pretty alluring to you right now, and the money may be what is drawing you to legal work. Please be aware that not all lawyers in private practice make a lot of money, and all lawyers in private practice work VERY hard. It is not like TV, and when you graduate you will not be issued a $100,000 salary and a BMW unless you are lucky enough to land a job at a large law firm. And, there is a reason those big firms pay what they pay, they will work you to death.
                  He speaks truth. I am in my 2nd year of law school right now. I have looked into the JAG Corps but will more than likely not go into it if I do decide to go military. At this point in my life I'd rather be an officer or do some sort of LE. I've seen the young attorney depression. I've been through the law student depression and I know that it can only get worse and more REAL once you graduate because then, your butt is on the line.

When it is all said and done, maybe 10 people (the top 5% or so) of a law school class will get the TV jobs (the 90,000 + salaries) and work for 150+ lawyer firms (at least at my school). They will be expected to work a ton and do all the ditry work--which I guess is expected. Then they will burn out in 1-2 years and want to quit. The vast majority will work in mid-level or small sized firms and earn salaries that are about the same as a ton of manager level positions in corporations and quite less than positions such as pharmasist etc...I don't mean to sound so bleak, but I am just being realistic.

But back on topic: JAG is good if you are into the whole trial scene. I.E. you like to present, speak, think on your feet, play Tom Cruise and whatnot. It provides you experience that not many civilian lawyers will obtain mainly because most cases don't make it to trial, and when they do, the new attorneys usually are not the ones trying the cases.

I wish I had talked to people and done more research before I went. Thankfully I'm in the JD/MBA program so I have a few more options than my classmates.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2721 users online. 193 members and 2528 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X