300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is being an MP worth it?

Hello. I'm currently in my first semester of POST. For you military guys, do you think enlisting as an MP would be a good stepping stone to getting on with a municipal PD, once I graduate from the academy? I'm specifically thinking about National Guard reserves, but am also considering Air Force reserves. The signing bonus is looking pretty good right now, along with the benefits, but i'm not sure i want to guard a gate all day. Any advice?
    Started POST Sept. 6, 2005

Depends on if you are a base MP or field MP. I know in the USMC you don't have a choice between the two. Field MP is the same MOS (5811) as base MP but you never do any "police activities." You mostly do field detention and processing of enemy prisoners of war (EPW's). I'm not even sure if you can choose the actual specialty. So in otherwords you will sign up for the 5800 field but may end up assigned to any MOS in the 5800 field including military corrections officer. I can't speak on how the Army does things as I never served in the Army.

Comment

Being an MP is what you make of it. As an MP you will be working while everyone else on base gets holidays and weekends off. Like said above, in the Marines you can choose the MP field, but not your specific job. One thing to think about also is that all branches of the military are switching to DOD cops for garrison police work, which means you'll be a field MP doing convoy security and epw handling.

Comment

Army MP is pretty much like SO535 said about USMC MP. You get assigned to either a field or law & order. I hope you do realize that the reason they have such a nice bonus is because they are highly deployable. In Virginia we only had one MP National Guard unit (Virginia Beach-229th). Now they have added a second unit in Manassas 266th (my unit) and it is rumored that a third is opening in Roanoke. The reason for this is because they are highly versatile in the field. A lot of field artillery units were cross-trained to 31B prior to getting sent to Iraq and Afganistan.

I do think it's a good idea though. It will certainly show your maturity, responsibilty and patriotism. Another good thing is the networking. Most national guard and reserve MP's are LEO's in their civilian occupations. You get to find out who is hiring, which agencies are best, and eventually get good references for when you decide to apply somewhere. So definitely a good stepping stone!
        Blame it on the Trunk Monkey!!!

Comment

the DoD is getting away from the LE mission in all the different branches. Most of that mission is going to civilian contracts. Being a former AF cop I would recommend that you simply proceed with the civilian LE route if that is your ultimate goal.
          BTW, keep in mind the average deployment is over a year now. especially as an MP. I did the Iraq thing, hope you like sand :-)

Comment

No, I was an MP. I wish I would have picked another job in the Army. Being an Army Vet, no matter what your job, gets you bonus points. If LE is your career choice, you will be disappointed on what you THINK an MP duties are, and what they ACTUALLY are... I wish I would have went into the Infantry and had fun. Either way, the military is still a good thing to do in life... Good Luck...

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMetro
              No, I was an MP. I wish I would have picked another job in the Army. Being an Army Vet, no matter what your job, gets you bonus points. If LE is your career choice, you will be disappointed on what you THINK an MP duties are, and what they ACTUALLY are... I wish I would have went into the Infantry and had fun. Either way, the military is still a good thing to do in life... Good Luck...

I ditto everything he just said :-)

Comment

spartanws6,

I see you in the academy right now. What week are you guys in? Are you having fun yet? Ha..good luck! It will be over soon...

Comment

hmm... the weeks seem to be blending (I'm sure you can relate :-) 7 weeks left to go and we are done. Will be graduating on the first of Dec. Am I allowed to start getting ansey yet?
                  Can't wait to get out on the streets with you guys. I am starting to get very excited, a little nervous.... just trying my best to keep my nose in the books and finish out strong. Don't need any "aw shiets" right now ya know :-)

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Comment

Good to hear, The FTO Program is hard as well, you have to apply what you are learning. Remember it is a game, the program, and you will do fine. You will HAVE to get along with all your FTO's. It's more about personality than anything else. It's a shame, but just go with the program and you'll do great. Once you graduate FTO, then you can decide for yourself. Anyhow, it will go fast. I still have fun each day , even after 13 years. Welcome to the best Dept in the US. (I'm not kidding...) Did you hear about the new contract? 16 3/4 % over 4 years, wow, that's great. Before you know it, you will be making over 100K. I know alot of folks say you never get rich in LE, but were damn close for what we do... On the flip side, make sure you wear you vest each shift, EVEN in the summer. This is a dangerous city to work. Sorry to rant...anyhow, good luck, we want you on the streets as bad as you want out of the academy. ha...

Comment

I'm in FTEP and I love it. Tomarrow is my first day of Solo Beat! I'm pretty excited. All my FTO's have been great and have taught me a lot but I'm looking forward to getting out there and proving that I can do the job to myself.

If only all the bad guys wouldn't run away everytime they see me from afar.
                      RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
                      RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
                      RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
                      RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
                      RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Comment

Originally posted by MattG
                        I'm in FTEP and I love it. Tomarrow is my first day of Solo Beat! I'm pretty excited. All my FTO's have been great and have taught me a lot but I'm looking forward to getting out there and proving that I can do the job to myself.

If only all the bad guys wouldn't run away everytime they see me from afar.

lol, keep em running Matt! Congrats on solo beat man, be safe out there

Comment

Originally posted by spartanws6
                          lol, keep em running Matt! Congrats on solo beat man, be safe out there
                          Haha! The problem is I want to catch them...not let them run away. And they aren't running from "me"...it's that big ol' black and white with the reflective star on the side.

Have fun those last 7 weeks...I spent many hours the last month or so figuring out exactly how many more runs, inspections, and classes we had left. It will be over before ya know it.
                          RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
                          RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
                          RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
                          RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
                          RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Comment

All depends what state you plan on going to. Some are more hardcore about NOT hiring ex-GI's than others. For example if you want to go work in New York I'd highly advise not going to the military. However if you want to work in Utah then I'd say go for it.

Prior to my leaving for the Army a few PDs in NY were having problems with ex-GI's shooting before asking questions. Also some of the MP's didn't adapt well reguarding the laws of the state. REAL hit and miss in NY. However here in OR you'd be on the short list as long as you've got a 4 year degree too.

Comment

Originally posted by MattG
                              Have fun those last 7 weeks...I spent many hours the last month or so figuring out exactly how many more runs, inspections, and classes we had left. It will be over before ya know it.

lol, is it bad that I am already counting :-)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6262 users online. 339 members and 5923 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X