300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force cops seeking civilian LE in FL

Just thought I'd post this up for yall. I've heard a lot of talk on here as to how FDLE will NOT approve EOTs for Security Forces personnel seeking a law enforcement certification in Florida. I just want to clear the air and state this is not true. I have done 9 1/2 years in the Air Force as a cop and just got notification from FDLE that my EOT was approved and will only need to do the 2 week high liability class to get my state cert. Just some FYI for yall.
    sigpic

I was prior security forces. I would highly reccomend going through some sort of schooling. OUr AF training in my humble opinion is at least ten years behind the rest of the law enforcement community. After I got out I started going to school, and was amazed at the important information that the air force tends to leave out. The difference between AF police work and Civilian police work are like night nad day. In training classes at my dept I kept falling behind because the AF way was so engrained in me, low and behold it was wrong and it would get me hurt in the words of my DT instructor. Just a recomendation to not be to anxious to take the path of least resistance, you could in the long run be missing out on very valuable training.
    Again just my humble opinion
    "No you got the wrong number, this is 91....2"

Comment

I agree with lawdog. Engrained military police training and experience caused some problems for me when I first started in civ-land. Disengaging yourself from military police training can be difficult. I've been out almost 6-years now and still occasionally catch myself failing back to old habits. One guy I work with former military and has been out almost 20 years and still, although very rarely, catches himself falling on engrained habits. Other former military, who attended good courses after discharge appear to have adjusted much better.
      Be alert...the world needs more lerts!

Comment

I have to agree with everyone's statements here. I am currently in the police academy for las vegas metro and just seperated from the SF career field a few months ago. I can tell you that whopping 1 or 2 months of LE training down at lackland is far and away from the training I am receiving now. Military LE and civilian LE are two complete worlds away. Especially if you came in after the merging of blue and green in the SF world and do not have a lot of LE experience, civilian police work is not within our grasp. Not to take away from the career field by any means (I know there are not a whole lot of civilain cops who can create an base defense plan for instance) but it is two different animals.
        But after my ramble I would recommend doing the longer, more difficult route of attending an entire police academy. Like I told my oral board, I have a lot of experience in law enforcement and leadership blah blah blah blah.... but I have exactly zero experience as being a civilian cop. It will be tougher, however the training you DON'T get doing the short route may just get you killed on the streets.

Comment

I separated from SF about 3 months ago and completed the "short" course (6 days) in FL. I passed the state exam and I am currently working for a local PD. Basically as stated above, you (we as SF) would benefit by taking the longer course. I have been on FTO for a little over a month and there are some things lacking. It sucks from going from an NCO (having most of the answers) to feeling like an airmen again (this is worse due to the fact of the amount of danger in the civilian world). The short course was..... short. I did a lot of reading, reading, and more reading on the laws and statutes. I think it depends a lot on the person, type of training, and the amount exposure to LE you had in your career. More is usually better. However, I dont think I could have gone 4 months over the basics again. I did miss out on some important stuff, i.e. better DT, report writing, and so on. Here I am. I have to work a little harder on some things but damn the basics have done me good! Lots of compliments on officer safety. Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to help. Good luck to you no matter which route you go. Godspeed

Comment

Think going from SF to civilian LE is bad? I did the opposite. I've been a civilian LE for the past nine years, and a part time instructor at the academy. I was hired about a year ago as a civilian instructor in an SF training section. I've tried to "show them the light" but I'm butting my head against a wall!!!
            It's not the size of the dog in the fight, It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

Comment

MADDOG, I am sorry to hear that. Its the truth though I know. That's why most of us get out and go civilian. Just find a solid wall, I wouldn't want u to damage that quality AF wall.....

Comment

I tihkn we all know that if you did damage that quality air force wall, it would cost almost a whole paycheck to fix it
                "No you got the wrong number, this is 91....2"

Comment

Has anyone actually gone through the EOT program? PM me.

Comment

rich,
                    I returned your pm. Did you have any more questions?

Comment

I never got your PM Mac.

Comment

I dont know what happend to it. I will send you one tonight...Sorry about that...

Comment

Rich I sent you a pm. Let me know if you do not you receive it.

Comment

Military and Civilian LE training

While i agree with you guys on alot of this stuff,i also have to say there are some things that are weaker on the civilian side of law enforcement training. Some of the things i noticed are,handcuffing and searching,suspect challenging,and suspect in vehicle challenges. One other example is building searches,and vehicle searches. I've been on both sides of the fence of civilian and military LE training and i have to say...the air force is a little more advanced in those areas. Also,i learned more about written and oral communications in the airman leadership school than i did in the civilian academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2890 users online. 135 members and 2755 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X