300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parris Island: DoD Police Officer Arrested for carrying off duty

This guy who works out of Parris Island got hooked up for carrying off duty and alcohol was involved. The title says the two arrested are Marines, but the first sentence says police officer, not MP. Sounds a bit harsh to me, but for his department to throw him under the bus is nonsense. Anyone have more info than what is mentioned in the article? This is being circulated through MCCLEP.

http://www.thestate.com/2015/01/14/3...wful.html?rh=1
    Last edited by TheSentinel; 01-17-2015, 11:59 AM.

I received confirmation that both are Marines.

Comment

Not thrown under the bus at all. They ****ed up under civilian authority, were checked on, and properly told that .mil isn't going to save them. They are an example of stupidity.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I was more concerned that one could have been a civilian police officer. I suppose this article is a good example of what will happen to MPs that go against USMC policy.

Comment

Yep. Stupid acts have consequences. I can bet there was a lot of " I'm A Police, just like you" going on...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Marines acting stupid? Nothing new here...

Comment

Ain't it the truth.

Comment

What sucks is the USMC is in the final stages of finishing their LEOSA policy in which they have included MP's and were planning on letting them carry and I have a feeling the knee jerk reaction is gonna be to not let MP's carry.

Comment

The deputy called their bluff, sounds as if one was a crash fire rescue Marine, who wouldn't have fell under LEOSA. LEOSA is great and all but most of the guys I work with also get a CCW. I've seen to many LEOS being investigated for an IAD allegation and have to surrender their gun/creds until resolution. Many still work in the areas they live, so the CCW lets them carry until it resolved and they don't have to deal "authorized weapons" off duty, they carry what they wish.
                  ...and is commended as being worthy of trust and confidence

Comment

Aren't active duty Mp's included in the new working of the LEOSA. But once he was drinking and had a gun he was pretty much SOL. This is why the armed forces treat the civilian police like boots.
                    Last edited by usmc3816; 02-11-2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

The author of the article was slightly inaccurate in some of the writing concepts.

Here is the jist: They were both active duty Marines, the driver was a Crash Fire Rescue Marine with weapons possession. (Not LE at all.)

The passenger was Military Police (5811) and attached to the Provost Marshal's Office. Now here is the part where alot of people get confused. By Public Law that Marine MP is allow to carry concealed. However, administratively by UCMJ orders within the Marine chain of command, they are denying the privilege to carry under LEOSA. Federal law now considers MP's federal law enforcement officer's as well. So although an active duty Marine, he can still be charged as a police officer under LEOSA. The ore only reason he was arrested is because he had consumed alcohol which is a violation of LE concealed carrying privileges.

So the author was just confused in some of his writings. Keep in mind that many Local police do not like the idea of Active duty Marines carrying under LEOSA (MP's) due to maturity concerns with the general age of MP's. This is not to say that all perform bad, but unfortunately many have a disparity in training to the 0083 DOD community. Naturally, this causes rifts between civilian officers and military who have to work side by side doing the same job. (Especially since even the Marine is letting its 0083's carry now on union agreements, although some commands are denying this still.)

Comment

When i worked for the Dept of the Army as a disadvantaged police officer( we had creds the size of books to keep us from carrying off duty) and were told regardless of the laws we fall under strict guidance of posse comitiaius. And were told when caught carrying we would be subject to arrest and termination regardless of what the unions and LEOSA said. But as always the upper yes man management always had nice creds and flat badges on them at all times.
                        Last edited by usmc3816; 02-12-2015, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by usmc3816 View Post
                          When i worked for the Dept of the Army as a disadvantaged police officer( we had creds the size of books to keep us from carrying off duty) and were told regardless of the laws we fall under strict guidance of posse comitiaius. And were told when caught carrying we would be subject to arrest and termination regardless of what the unions and LEOSA said. But as always the upper yes man management always had nice creds and flat badges on them at all times.
                          The times have certainly changed the last few years sir. Once they amended LEOSA with a clear cut definition of Title 10 / UCMJ and the word "apprehension", it left little choice for DOD to establish protocols for concealed carry. No doubt there is still some kick back from commands doing everything they can to limit this. However, many unions are making sure this gets established properly. The Marine Corps is now at a huge disparity since it sounds like once the policy is developed 0083's will be able to carry and Military Police will not. I cant quote on the other branches issues as of right now but would assume they are localized. The times are definitely changing though.

Some of the interesting things that have been fluctuating include an evaluation under the new Armed Services Commitee Sec 1056 http://armedservices.house.gov/index...F-A59B98825265 (Its a huge file but SEC 1056 is what DOD Police are highly interested in.) It may develop the justification for new arrest or apprehension authorities beyond DD FORM 1805 citations or UCMJ Apprehensions. Alot of people are pointing towards the authority given to the Pentagon Police as an example of what may come to pass.

Plus there is now a DOD Post standard in development. Apparently all the services are finally getting together to make sure DOD cooperates in its policing methods.

Ultimately, I just have an opinion of what this means but, honestly I feel like this is a leveraging tools which is transitioning the majority of Military Police to operational roles. Alot of rumors about wars winding down would return them and it does not seem to be the case as 0083 hiring continues.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. Oh, and dont get me wrong I dont think the Military will ever fully be removed from the functions of Installation LE, but certain law changes definitely remove direct control and biased from the equation.

Comment

Well Revilationz i hope it deff works out. If they take the time to hire and send 0083's to a academey that is on par with other states or the same post training as the state they are working in. Than put a slice or two of real police work and pay jump in the mix they would have a great Law Enforcement program.

I was working for the Airforce as a 0083 just last year at the Research place in Rome Ny and it was still a joke. Security police on the patches and badges, one magazine , 16 inch baton, the dumbest looking vehicles that said security on them. But when we gasses up and the active duty SF'S pulle din in thsie ram trucks that had police on them lol. And dare you ask about creds or any LEOSA lol you got the it will probably never apply to us speech.

Believe it or not i worked in a few places for the Army, Bliss, Hood, Riley and Ft. Lewis where we did more actual LE work minus the conviction rate than a lot of the non military Police dept's in the country. But the trench work with the nitty gritty was there 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by usmc3816 View Post
                              Well Revilationz i hope it deff works out. If they take the time to hire and send 0083's to a academey that is on par with other states or the same post training as the state they are working in. Than put a slice or two of real police work and pay jump in the mix they would have a great Law Enforcement program.

I was working for the Airforce as a 0083 just last year at the Research place in Rome Ny and it was still a joke. Security police on the patches and badges, one magazine , 16 inch baton, the dumbest looking vehicles that said security on them. But when we gasses up and the active duty SF'S pulle din in thsie ram trucks that had police on them lol. And dare you ask about creds or any LEOSA lol you got the it will probably never apply to us speech.

Believe it or not i worked in a few places for the Army, Bliss, Hood, Riley and Ft. Lewis where we did more actual LE work minus the conviction rate than a lot of the non military Police dept's in the country. But the trench work with the nitty gritty was there 24/7.
                              The AF base would put a bad taste in anyone's mouth. I know some of those bases have extremely large populations with crime rates just as consistent if not more the many localities. You said you are working VA Police now correct? Out of of the places what would you say was the most enjoyable?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6433 users online. 350 members and 6083 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X