300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army CID Special Agent

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some insight on what Army CID is like. I am a former Marine, former local LEO, and current federal LEO. What attracts me about Army CID is of course the job, and the fact that I would only have to do 16 or so years until retirement. However, I am weary about the position because 1) Army deployments can be hell (my buddy did 24 months in Iraq as a National Guardsman, involuntarily) and 2) I have no idea what the Army is like but from my experience as a Marine the Army looks awesome. However, having been on the civilian side for a while I'm not sure I want to go back in to such a restrictive/disciplined environment.

So if anyone has done the job can you either post what you wish you knew before doing it or what you take on the job is? Specifically, are we treated like adults or little kids? Are we treated more like soldiers or special agents? Do we wear uniforms or plain clothes? Is PCSing constant, every 4 years, or is there a possibility to stay at the same duty station for quite a while? I had buddies that spent over 6 years at the same duty station while AD and even while requesting somewhere else as a condition of reenlistment they were denied, needless to say they got out instead. I know there's a lot of opportunity and flexibility in the Army, I'm just wondering how consistent it is. Also, big question, does my FEDERAL time count towards my MILITARY time? I know the opposite is true but cannot find any guidance pertaining to the reverse.

FWIW, I also have a BA and qualify under this "pilot program" the Army has now to boost AD ranks of enlisted CID agents. Does anyone know if there's a big push for agents and if so why? Also, for me to go career in the military I think officer is the better route due to $$$, how likely is it to enlist as a CID agent and to switch to a Commissioned Officer position within CID somewhere? I was discharged as a Sgt. from the Marines. Thanks for any and all information.
    Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Originally posted by 3531Marine View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm looking for some insight on what Army CID is like. I am a former Marine, former local LEO, and current federal LEO. What attracts me about Army CID is of course the job, and the fact that I would only have to do 16 or so years until retirement. However, I am weary about the position because 1) Army deployments can be hell (my buddy did 24 months in Iraq as a National Guardsman, involuntarily) and 2) I have no idea what the Army is like but from my experience as a Marine the Army looks awesome. However, having been on the civilian side for a while I'm not sure I want to go back in to such a restrictive/disciplined environment.

So if anyone has done the job can you either post what you wish you knew before doing it or what you take on the job is? Specifically, are we treated like adults or little kids? Are we treated more like soldiers or special agents? Do we wear uniforms or plain clothes? Is PCSing constant, every 4 years, or is there a possibility to stay at the same duty station for quite a while? I had buddies that spent over 6 years at the same duty station while AD and even while requesting somewhere else as a condition of reenlistment they were denied, needless to say they got out instead. I know there's a lot of opportunity and flexibility in the Army, I'm just wondering how consistent it is. Also, big question, does my FEDERAL time count towards my MILITARY time? I know the opposite is true but cannot find any guidance pertaining to the reverse.

FWIW, I also have a BA and qualify under this "pilot program" the Army has now to boost AD ranks of enlisted CID agents. Does anyone know if there's a big push for agents and if so why? Also, for me to go career in the military I think officer is the better route due to $$$, how likely is it to enlist as a CID agent and to switch to a Commissioned Officer position within CID somewhere? I was discharged as a Sgt. from the Marines. Thanks for any and all information.
    The only ones treated like real deals are the civilian special agents so I would forget about any military positions. However if that is still a consideration Your Federal civilian time DOES NOT count towards your Military time so the only chooses you have is 1. Go back in as either an enlisted or Commissioned Officer (since you have a BA) provided you can get a spot. Your prier active duty military time will count

Or #2 Try to get a civilian CID position. That way your Federal civilian time (if you are under the 6C retirement) will count.

http://www.cid.army.mil/civ_agent.html

Comment

Look at what the civilian side of CID has to offer you. They mainly work a lot of the computer/cyber forensics. Fraud and misappropriation of funds is another area they are involved in. Going enlisted/warrant is good as well. Every CID I have dealt with as a MP and in operations sections with CID; they all get treated like a "real deal" regardless of enlisted or warrant. They ALL get treated the same and have Very professional and very dedicated people.

Right now, the Army is very tight in regards to allowing prior service back in. I would honestly check the civilian side of CID or any of the other investigative departments for the branches. You cannot be a commission officer as a CID agent. Just enlisted or warrant officer.

If you do decide on going enlisted or warrant, they PCS just like any other MOS; every 3-5 years, promotion rates vary more opportunity for LEO training with counterparts such as FBI, Secret Service, state and local investigative agencies. It really depends on your team chief or detachment chief on how you get treated. I have seen some chiefs micro manage mainly cause they were screwed over in previous assignments by crappy agent work but most will give you enough slack on the chain to work your cases to get them solved. It really depends on where you go, what the investigative loads are and how the Battalion command conducts business.
      Last edited by 31BLaxer; 10-09-2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 31BLaxer View Post
        Look at what the civilian side of CID has to offer you. They mainly work a lot of the computer/cyber forensics. Fraud and misappropriation of funds is another area they are involved in. Going enlisted/warrant is good as well. Every CID I have dealt with as a MP and in operations sections with CID; they all get treated like a "real deal" regardless of enlisted or warrant. They ALL get treated the same and have Very professional and very dedicated people.

Right now, the Army is very tight in regards to allowing prior service back in. I would honestly check the civilian side of CID or any of the other investigative departments for the branches. You cannot be a commission officer as a CID agent. Just enlisted or warrant officer.

If you do decide on going enlisted or warrant, they PCS just like any other MOS; every 3-5 years, promotion rates vary more opportunity for LEO training with counterparts such as FBI, Secret Service, state and local investigative agencies. It really depends on your team chief or detachment chief on how you get treated. I have seen some chiefs micro manage mainly cause they were screwed over in previous assignments by crappy agent work but most will give you enough slack on the chain to work your cases to get them solved. It really depends on where you go, what the investigative loads are and how the Battalion command conducts business.
        Oh it's pretty easy. You'll never record interviews yet you'll interview suspects for upwards of four hours, only to reduce that interview to a two page writing saying " I did it".

And when you have a case that you can't prove because your JAG opines no probable cause, you'll "title" the Solider anyway so the offense stays on his record for 25 years, ensuring that he'll never get a job in civilian life.

Who wouldn't want that job?

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
          Oh it's pretty easy. You'll never record interviews yet you'll interview suspects for upwards of four hours, only to reduce that interview to a two page writing saying " I did it".

And when you have a case that you can't prove because your JAG opines no probable cause, you'll "title" the Solider anyway so the offense stays on his record for 25 years, ensuring that he'll never get a job in civilian life.

Who wouldn't want that job?
          Spoken like a true defense attorney.....
          "It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward...."

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat06 View Post
            Spoken like a true defense attorney.....
            Actually I spent my last mobilization as the Chief of Military Justice as Fort Dix and worked on their side. I must say that the folks I worked with were top notch but I like to kid when it comes to CID.

The one thing that always drove me nuts was when they would ask " sir, can I have your opine?" Last I checked, opine was a verb, not a noun.

Only in the Army.

Comment

Sorry, but I don't buy it. The office I work in interviews EVERY interview conducted. NEVER have I heard of CID or an MPI office titling anyone with an offense without an opine from SJA. Not sure where or what offices you have dealt with but in 18 years of being an MP and working in CID offices, I have never had any thing you describe happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 31BLaxer View Post
                Sorry, but I don't buy it. The office I work in interviews EVERY interview conducted. NEVER have I heard of CID or an MPI office titling anyone with an offense without an opine from SJA. Not sure where or what offices you have dealt with but in 18 years of being an MP and working in CID offices, I have never had any thing you describe happen.
                Opine is only a noun in CID land, BTW.

I was being a ball breaker but if you're suggesting that the majority of CID interviews are recorded, I want what ever it is you're smoking. When I worked TDS I never once received a taped interview. I would get a two paged document that amounted to a confession and where the interview would being at 1100 and end at 1500.

But as I said, I liked CID at my last assignment. The SAC was very squared away and so were the rest of the SAs in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
                  Opine is only a noun in CID land, BTW.

I was being a ball breaker but if you're suggesting that the majority of CID interviews are recorded, I want what ever it is you're smoking. When I worked TDS I never once received a taped interview. I would get a two paged document that amounted to a confession and where the interview would being at 1100 and end at 1500.

But as I said, I liked CID at my last assignment. The SAC was very squared away and so were the rest of the SAs in the office.
                  Every interview in the office I worked in was video taped. You must not have asked nicely or something. I can only speak for our office but EVERY SINGLE interview is videotaped, no ifs ands or buts. Hell, the entire building is recorded, inside and out.

Every time SJA wanted a video, they had to go through the SAC but it was never an issue that I was aware of.

Comment

If I were 20 years younger, and not already retired from the Army, I'd be kicking down a recruiter's door to get the CID enlistment option.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Marine I'm currently in the application process for the 31D program, if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Comment

So, ignore most of what you have read. I am currently an enlisted Army CID Special Agent (31D). I can answer almost all your questions. First, there are no officers in CID, only enlisted and Warrant Officers. Civilian clothes 99.9% of the time. Treated like a Special Agent when brass is not around, when they are around, there is always some CSM reminding you of your rank. You will PCS every 2 or 3 years. I was at Bragg for exactly 24 months. I must remind you that you will be working a lot of hours. I probably averaged 60 plus while at Bragg and 70 here at PSB. There is no extra pay beside your additional $333 a year for civilian clothing. I have been an Agent for 4 years, volunteered for 3 or 4 deployments and have not been on one yet. They are hard to come by in CID.
                        Croc

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

If your already a civilian fed I would stay there. I'm currently a CID Agent and myself and everyone I work with is counting down the days until they get out and go civ. Its a great resume builder but thats it. Just my 2 cents... PM me if you want and I can answer any questions you have.
                          And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stands between the monsters and the weak.

Comment

I would look into joining the Army Reserve as a CID agent and just stay a local LEO. I've enjoyed my deployments with CID and am always glad when its time to go home and get back to my civilian job. CID for the most part is a decent gig in the Army, but its still the Army and there is still an abundance of retarded crap involved and they tend to work their agents into the ground.

Comment

Hey guys,

I am currently in the final stages of the 31D app for CID. Just a few quick questions for an current enlisted SA's and those how got hired with CID through the new pilot program.

1.) Are you guaranteed to attend CID basic agent training right after you finish basic and MP school?
                              2.) Did you have any say upon which FO/base you would be working? I.e.- Ranking your locations of preference
                              3.) Do you have 24/7 carry authority on base? I.e- No signing in and out of your duty weapon
                              4.) If you are single will you have the option to live off base?
                              5.) Do you get take home G-rides?
                              6.) How quickly will you make E5 or have the chance to be a WO?

Thanks for the help in advance, and I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend.
                              Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5495 users online. 321 members and 5174 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X