Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCCLEP Recruiting Q and A Thread......(USMC 0083's)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It really depends on their need for an officer. If they have 50 apps and 2 spots they may not negotiate. If they have 2 apps and 50 spots then they can pound sand.

Depends on how unhappy you are at your spot. I once took a 10,000 or so cut when I moved agency. My quality of life was a million times better and worth it. What ever makes you happy. A job is job.

Comment

• I am ok where I am at but I'd rather not stay any longer as the goal is to be an LEO.I have been working in Corrections for about 5 years and didn't anticipate spending this long in this position. I am ready to work out in the field now as a law enforcement officer. The only issue is the 16,000 pay cut is huge. I am looking long term and would hope that if I were to take this position that it would work out fine and pay off. Does the position have assisted-living? For example, some military civilian police positions allow you to live in military housing or some type of discounted housing. Does the same apply to Yuma.

Comment

• Jond36,

So if I were to accept the position and say after a year I may no longer be interested or it was not what I expect, would I be able to apply to "status candidate" usajobs announcements or "federal employee" only positions? Or would they not process me as a federal employee when applying for say such positions like an 1811 (DOJ, DHS, or State)?

Comment

• Not sure about living. I heard no unless some type of military reservist but I could be completely wrong. I am in California and am still in the Army Reserves. I go off of my CAC card for Officer quarters. Cant really speak for Yuma for quarters or on whether you would be on patrol or gate duty but I can say arrests will more than likely be low.

See if you can ask the HRO

Comment

• Sounds good. Thanks for all the information. Very helpful. One more thing, would you be able to touch on my previous question:

So if I were to accept the position and say after a year I may no longer be interested or it was not what I expect, would I be able to apply to "status candidate" usajobs announcements or "federal employee" only positions? Or would they not process me as a federal employee when applying for say such positions like an 1811 (DOJ, DHS, or State)?

Comment

• Exbpa340
              Exbpa340 commented
              Editing a comment
              Most LEO job announcements usually fall into two categories.
              1 - general public announcement
              2 - status candidates

There are many kind of status job announcements but this most common usually have an academy completion requirement. Like 1811 announcements that require prior completion of CITP or Deportation Officer that require prior completion of IOBTC (BP Academy, ICE Academy or Legacy Inspector Academy).

Occupying an 0083 position will likely not assist you greatly in obtaining a covered LEO position. There is a possibility that an entry level announcement could open to current agency employees or current department employees but most of the agencies/departments that have 0083 employees do not have many covered LEOs.

If you really want to get your foot in the door and stop the clock, Apply for a Border Patrol Agent position or CBP Officer position. Both are covered and offer non-competitive promotion to GS 12. Pay for a BPA at around the five year mark approaches 100k a year.

• I always apply and let them tell me no later. As a fed employee, there is an "appointment" section on your SF-50 (follows your federal career like a record of your employment) that says career conditional, career permanent, competitive, excepted, etc. I am pretty sure you will process just fine, but if the 1811 or whatever opening asks if you are career permanent like my 0083 opening did, it will take 3 yrs to get there with this job. You are career conditional for 3 years. Now whether they verify the permanent part is questionable. You may squeeze by HR because they just look to see if you are a current fed employee or not. From what I understand is you can go transfer after 1 yr probation or even less and you should be fine. Honestly every person is a case by case basis.

Truthfully I thought getting into the federal system would allow me to go anywhere but its not really the case. I saw my friend who had far less experience than me who was non military who use to work at McDonalds get a crazy good job. Its all about the USAJobs aspect and getting that first interview. I dont know much about the term status candidate, but once your fed, you most always can apply as a fed employee.

I know its a lot of info. Haha. Long story short.... Look at 1811 spots and see who can apply. If you can apply as a current employee with no questions asked then you are good. If it says current or former career permanent then hopefully you can sneak through the cracks. Otherwise it will take 3 years.

***Edit: I researched a random 1811 spot. They asked for current or former competitive employees. These jobs are competitive whether you are conditional or premanent so you should be good to go.
            Last edited by Jond36; 10-08-2017, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• I forgot to mention they do like to except GS-7 or higher for 1811. Honestly with previous LE experience you should be getting GS-6 or 7. If they give you less than that, they better be giving you higher steps.
              Last edited by Jond36; 10-08-2017, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• General Knowledge for those who are interested.

Comment

• Hello, does anyone know when the next vancancies will open for next year? I accepted a t/o with dept of the navy as a 0083 but would like to transfer to the USMC side.

Comment

• Depends on the base. Set a USAJobs saved search for 0083 and the state you live in or where the base is at. This way you wont miss any 0083 openings.

Comment

• The Search will expire though, so be sure to save it and renew it periodically
                      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                      DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

• Prior service Marine here, I applied to the April 20th posting for 0083's in Beaufort, SC. Anybody know how long it takes to start to hear back from them? The posting closed on July 20 so I'm assuming it takes a little while. Also, does/has anybody worked at MCAS Beaufort and Parris Island that could tell me what it's like? My wife and I are really hoping I get this job, we've been trying to move back to the Carolinas in one way or another since I got out of the Corps.

Comment

• I heard they get treated like Marine boots and not civilians, but that's all hearsay, I have no proof of it
                          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                          DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

• Originally posted by shuzj944 View Post
                            Prior service Marine here, I applied to the April 20th posting for 0083's in Beaufort, SC. Anybody know how long it takes to start to hear back from them? The posting closed on July 20 so I'm assuming it takes a little while. Also, does/has anybody worked at MCAS Beaufort and Parris Island that could tell me what it's like? My wife and I are really hoping I get this job, we've been trying to move back to the Carolinas in one way or another since I got out of the Corps.
                            The hiring process usually takes 3-6 months. Not much police work at those bases. You'll be standing gates.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6965 users online. 250 members and 6715 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X