Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nhb_zoey View Post
    It’s not either of those, it specifically says Fort Worth
    41,952 for GS6 amd 46,619 for GS7 is what it looks like then. I do not see any special rate for 0083 there.

Comment

• Been working as a DAF Police Officer for about 8 months now. It has it's ups and downs, pros and cons. Best way I can describe working as a DAF Police Officer is it's kind of like working as a 1950's cop in a medium sized city in the Midwest somewhere. Almost nobody you pull over is going to have warrants for their arrest or drugs in the car unless your base has a civilian road running through it like Eglin or Edwards Air Force Base. You'll still get the occasional DUI, Domestic Violence, "burglary" alarm at an aircraft hanger or accidental "gate runner"...but I think I can honestly say everything I've done so far hasn't added up to probably one night on patrol at LAPD's South Bureau.

It's going to really depend what your priorities are: Do you want time off or do you want to make $$$? Do you want non-stop action or are you okay driving in circles all day long (or long stretches of desolate desert)? Are you okay getting assigned old equipment and turning it in every single or do you want to take it home and have some say in the type of equipment and gear you can use? Do you want your department to offer you the latest in law enforcement vehicles such as in car computers, vehicles guaranteed to have working lights and sirens and air conditioning...or would you like to play Russian roulette with your police car? For those of you who are veterans, would you like to be subject to constantly changing military rules every other week from an assortment of officers up the chain or would rather policies progress at a slower pace? Do you want to attend a daytime academy that's in your region or get sent halfway across the country for a few months?

What do you want out of your law enforcement career? Or perhaps better asked, where are you at in your law enforcement career. For those just starting or eyeing retirement in a few years, DAF Police might be the perfect fit!

One thing that surprised me is just how many Veteran law enforcement officers ask me about DAF Police as a way to escape from local or state law enforcement. They've had enough of the BS in departments like New York City, Albuquerque, Seattle, Portland and Los Angeles County and are willing to take a pay cut (or retire early) and sign up with the Air Force.

For me, I work to live, not live to work. So those 3 days off (occasionally 4 days off since every other Wednesday is a training stand down day) is absolutely amazing. Although we work 10 hour days at DAF Police, it really equates to about a 9 hour work day max.

Comment

• NYBseBall89
        NYBseBall89 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey do you mind if I PM you? Current setting states your PM is off. Thanks.

• MP-K-9
        MP-K-9 commented
        Editing a comment
        This just about sums it up ! Also, some of the bases if not all have the ability and can wave the academy depending on the situation unlike the VA Police.

• ZeroMood
        ZeroMood commented
        Editing a comment
        This honestly sounds perfect. Thanks for the info. I got called by the HR manager of an Afb for an 0083, so I'm pretty excited

• NYBseBall89 sorry for delayed response. PM's have been enabled now. Shoot me a message if you still need to.

Comment

• Never mind.
        Last edited by NYBseBall89; 01-01-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Hello,
          can someone please explain the hiring process, I was trying to look it up but couldn't find any.
          Thank you in advance

Comment

• NYBseBall89
            NYBseBall89 commented
            Editing a comment
            Honestly they are making decisions solely off of your resume from what was discussed with me back in August due to COVID, but this may have changed. I applied online like I'm sure you did and they contacted me back asking me to use the built in resume builder and to be as detailed as possible. Upon submitting the new resume they told me that I had qualified for the position and they sent me a ton of pre-hire forms for my tentative selection. You will be contacted to schedule your medical and fitness test and that is where I am at now. The process was fairly quick. I was deployed when I applied which is the only reason I haven't completed the fitness/medical portion of the process yet. As for the academy and details after passing the fitness test I am not sure at this time, but I will keep you updated after I schedule that port of the process.

• What is the promotional potential? Similar to customs where in five years you can be GS-12?

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
            orlandofed5-0 commented
            Editing a comment
            You'll be lucky to make it past GS-07

• SDM8492
            SDM8492 commented
            Editing a comment
            Local installation near me that I work with sometimes is GS-5/6/7 0083 Police. They have a few GS-8 0083 Detectives and then the OSI Detachment Military Agents for felony work. There is a few civilian GS-13 1811s who do fraud stuff as well.
            Last edited by SDM8492; 03-30-2021, 04:06 PM.

• Update: The lieutenant called me yesterday saying I was selected (passed the interview), now he's sending my profile to HR and they will contact me via email for my medical.

Comment

• NYBseBall89
            NYBseBall89 commented
            Editing a comment
            Any update on your status? I'm still waiting on my PAT. Going to email them in a couple of days to make sure I wasn't forgotten.

• Hey guys I just received a TO for a DAF police officer/ GS7 position. I’m currently an 0083/GS6 with an agency that sends its guys to fletc but haven’t gone yet(due to ‘20 and covid).
          Would this be a step in the wrong direction since the DAF police don’t go to fletc?
          Also do all DAF work 10 hr shifts?
          Do they carry the M17? Rifle also or?

Comment

• Originally posted by Armybyrd View Post
            Hey guys I just received a TO for a DAF police officer/ GS7 position. I’m currently an 0083/GS6 with an agency that sends its guys to fletc but haven’t gone yet(due to ‘20 and covid).
            Would this be a step in the wrong direction since the DAF police don’t go to fletc?
            Also do all DAF work 10 hr shifts?
            Do they carry the M17? Rifle also or?
            DAF Police DO go to FLETC, but they go to a different location. DAF Police attend the police academy at the VA Police Academy at the Veterans Affairs Hospital in Little Rock, Arkansas. You will attend a police academy, but if you switch agencies from DAF to another agency later down the road, you will likely have to attend their own police academy, Glynco or otherwise.

Where I work, it's 10 hour shifts, 4 days a week. Every other week, one day is a "training day" which usually only consists of a few hours work of classroom or some other type of training such as the range. I'm confident this varies wildly depending on which base you go to.

We carry M4's and M9's. The Air Force is fielding a new M18 now, but we are still using the 9's because they don't have them in the color black yet.

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
              orlandofed5-0 commented
              Editing a comment
              VA LETC IS NOT FLETC.... It's 2 totally different courses

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4879 users online. 286 members and 4593 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X