X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGG
    replied
    Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
    In some cases, yes. Many of them were outstanding prior to deploying, came back and started having issues related to their deployments. I have seen commanders recommend general discharges for soldiers who missed five or six formations because of sleep issues related.

In any event, while you may not agree with me, obviously many have. As you may know, soldiers with six or more years or who are being recommended for an OTH are entitled to a separation board. In almost every single instance, I have been able to beat the recommendation and get either an honorable or retention for my outstanding clients.

So, wouldn't that mean that a board made up of a SGM, CPT and LTC sided with me and not the command? But of course you and the rest of the o.com kool aid drinkers know all.
    Enjoyed your response, right up until the last sentence when you decided to be a ******.

Leave a comment:

• Ex Army MP
    replied
    Originally posted by GGG View Post
    Really? So these are good, hard working, upstanding, high speed, low drag soldiers whose commanders just out of the blue for no reason decided to separate them from the service with a General Discharge? Usually, you get an Honorable Discharge for honorable service. A ****** bag who enlists and stays a ****** bag for his entire enlistment does not get a free pass just because he got deployed.
    In some cases, yes. Many of them were outstanding prior to deploying, came back and started having issues related to their deployments. I have seen commanders recommend general discharges for soldiers who missed five or six formations because of sleep issues related.

In any event, while you may not agree with me, obviously many have. As you may know, soldiers with six or more years or who are being recommended for an OTH are entitled to a separation board. In almost every single instance, I have been able to beat the recommendation and get either an honorable or retention for my outstanding clients.

So, wouldn't that mean that a board made up of a SGM, CPT and LTC sided with me and not the command? But of course you and the rest of the o.com kool aid drinkers know all.

Leave a comment:

• major g
    replied
    Originally posted by GGG View Post
    Really? So these are good, hard working, upstanding, high speed, low drag soldiers whose commanders just out of the blue for no reason decided to separate them from the service with a General Discharge? Usually, you get an Honorable Discharge for honorable service. A ****** bag who enlists and stays a ****** bag for his entire enlistment does not get a free pass just because he got deployed.
    What he said

Leave a comment:

• Ignite
    replied
    I'm almost a year into my Post 9/11 benefits. It's an amazing benefit to say the least. It's given me the opportunity to live in a new, ideal location that I'd been wanting to move to for some time, and also go to school free of charge.

As of August 1st they've implemented a couple of new changes though. No break pay (housing allowance between quarters/semesters), which can really hurt you on those month long school breaks unless you're living minimally and saving money. Also, it used to be that so long as you're at least a half-time student, you would receive the full BAH rate. Now, as of August 1st, the amount you get for housing depends on how many credits you're taking (12+ you get 100%, 10 credits: 80% (or whatever), etc.). It does kind of give you a reason to take a full load every quarter though, and get more schooling out of your benefits.
    Last edited by Ignite; 08-07-2011, 04:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jfloirendo
    replied
    From what I have gathered is that it'll pay for any accredited school, but it will only pay as much tuition as the state school with the highest in-state tuition is at. So if you want to go the a private school that's tuition is $400 a credit-hour and the highest state school is $350 a credit-hour, you will have to come up with the extra $50 per credit hour. There's also something that is called the yellow-ribbon program that some private schools will offer to cover the gap at the more expensive schools.

Leave a comment:

• QuietPro
    replied
    Anyone here use this? I am learning more about it because many of my clients who are undergoing admin seps are concerned about it. Many are sadly inelligible because they are being separated with a general discharge because this is how their wonderful commanders and first sergeants reward them for putting their lives on the line
    Commanders are generally not in the habit of ruining soldier's careers or messing with their discharge/vet benefits unless said soldier does something royally stupid to deserve it......There's more to their story that's not being said.

The Post 9/11 G.I. Bill allows for a full 4 year ride at accredited STATE universities, colleges, and Tech Schools. I do NOT think it applies to private school tuition. It also pays out a monthly stipend so the vet can offset the cost of living while going to school. To the best of my knowledge, it also pays out for your books, too. Sure as hell wish my Montgomery G.I. Bill had been as generous as the Post 9/11. But they earned it; it was a great piece of legislation...... One of the very few that actually benefits people instead of restricting them for a change...

Leave a comment:

• GGG
    replied
    Anyone here use this? I am learning more about it because many of my clients who are undergoing admin seps are concerned about it. Many are sadly inelligible because they are being separated with a general discharge because this is how their wonderful commanders and first sergeants reward them for putting their lives on the line. Of course some have had prior honorables so they are good to go.

Leave a comment:

• lastdon519
    replied
    When I got out in 04 and moved back into the nest, I collected the full amount of unemployment for NYS (390$/wk) while on terminal leave prior to starting the police academy 3 months later. It was great. Then the Post 9/11 came out. Made the 100% by a couple of days, but it has paid for itself a 100 times over. I have about 19 months left on it and only 10 months left until I get my BA, fully paid for, and collecting BAH (1329$/mo in my area). I'll still have enough to get me a 1/4 of the way thru my MBA.

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    That is how it works in NY State. It could be different for Washington? The VA rep at the Department of Labor instructed me on this, and I got a year + 12month extension for being a full time college student. This was before unemployment became two years. I am assuming you can get 2 years + the extension now. Call your local department of labor office and ask for the VA rep. He or she will explain it to you in more detail.

Leave a comment:

• xjman1990
    replied
    Wow, i didn't know about the unemployment for so long nor did i know the school extension. I was told to tell unemployment that i am not going to school cause they would deny me benefits.

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Don’t stress, you have it made. If there is some issue, the VA can cut you an emergency check (which you physically go get). Additionally, you will be able to collect unemployment for two years or 3 years with a 12 month college extension. I wish I would have taken advantage of this myself.

Take advantage of this opportunity, take unemployment, take more classes, and get your degree faster. There is no reason to feel ashamed. You gave a blank check to the government with your life on it; I’d say you earned it.
    Last edited by Ross; 06-12-2011, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• xjman1990
    replied
    when you say application you are talking bout the application with the school correct?

Leave a comment:

• nyc7011
    replied
    This was true when they first rolled the benefit out. It's more streamlined now. You just need to submit your application well in advance. Probably like 90 days lead time.

Leave a comment:

• xjman1990
    replied
    I have heard horror stories on the post 9-11 bill. the main story i keep hearing is that you dont get your BAH check on time and there is crazy stuff you have to do each month to get this BAH. Can anyone bust this story? I get out in 5 months and am ready to use this great benefit.

Leave a comment:

• nyc7011
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignite View Post
    I use it and it's an AMAZING benefit. If you are eligible and you don't use it or transfer it to a spouse/child, you're bat-$&%* insane.
    What this guy said. I used every single ounce of it getting my BA in NYC. The BAH for the NYC zip code was staggering (like 2800 a month TAX FREE) and I will never have a more comfortable 3 years in my life like when I was using this benefit! I worked part time to keep my sanity also while going to school full time. I made more money between my part time job and the GI Bill than I do right now as a new Police Officer. Crazy stuff, that benefit is GOLD. Don't let it expire. USE IT.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4878 users online. 286 members and 4592 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X