Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post 911 GI Bill

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Post 911 GI Bill

    Anyone here use this? I am learning more about it because many of my clients who are undergoing admin seps are concerned about it. Many are sadly inelligible because they are being separated with a general discharge because this is how their wonderful commanders and first sergeants reward them for putting their lives on the line. Of course some have had prior honorables so they are good to go.

    In any event, I never thought much about it because I didn't think I'd go back to school ever, however, it is transferable. My wife doesn't have her degree and is always complaining about her job. I was told you get BAH so that alone might make up for her loss in income while she attends school. OTOH, my daughter is 6 and I can always save it for her but then again, I was actually hoping she'd go ROTC or get into a service academy( yeah, I am one of those parents). If that's the case , I can wait till I retire from the Army and my civilian job ( 15 years or so) and go for a damn PHD in crim which would probably land me a job at a decent university.

    Anyone know of anyone who has either used it or transferred it?


    "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.


  • #2
    You get the median BAH in your area if you physically go to classes, no on-line, and they pay for tuition and books up to 49k?

    http://www.newgibill.org/calculator

    http://www.gibill.com/

    I don't know anything about the transfer stuff, but you should be able to find that info from the link above. If you have a disability rating (30% +) there is all sorts of crazy stuff you can get from the VA. Food, housing where they match your payments to own property, medical, and they will even pay your wife a nurses' salary to take care of you...... I have a few buddies milking it pretty good. I have a zero disability rating, and I can’t even get a timely appointment for a physical..... Go figure...
    Also NJ might do something for combat veterans. In NY for example, I get 4600$ a semester for veterans tuition award (combat action ribbon). Some states pay the entire way or give other benefits.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ross View Post
      You get the median BAH in your area if you physically go to classes, no on-line, and they pay for tuition and books up to 49k?

      http://www.newgibill.org/calculator

      http://www.gibill.com/

      I don't know anything about the transfer stuff, but you should be able to find that info from the link above. If you have a disability rating (30% +) there is all sorts of crazy stuff you can get from the VA. Food, housing where they match your payments to own property, medical, and they will even pay your wife a nurses' salary to take care of you...... I have a few buddies milking it pretty good. I have a zero disability rating, and I can’t even get a timely appointment for a physical..... Go figure...
      Also NJ might do something for combat veterans. In NY for example, I get 4600$ a semester for veterans tuition award (combat action ribbon). Some states pay the entire way or give other benefits.
      I use it, and have been for 12 months now. I don't know what you mean by "median" BAH in your area. You get the E-5 with dependent rate, based on the zip code of your school. They are changing the whole "online school" thing as well, just can't remember when it takes effect and if there is a restriction on how many online credits you can take to get the BAH.
      "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

      Comment


      • #4
        Just go to the VA websit www.gibill.va.gov
        You should be able to get better info in there. If you have more questions you can call the information line and a counselor will be happy to explain what is available and what you can do.
        GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

        "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

        Comment


        • #5
          I just started using it this month. I know in order to transfer it you need to have at least 10 years in. Also like it was stated above me it is the BAH is E-5 with dependents for the zip of the school. The new online school thing will give you 50% of the BAH rate and it takes effect Aug 1. Also they will start prorating the BAH based on how many credits are taken. It used to be as long as you take 51% of the amount of credits needed for full time you received full BAH, now it will be if you take 80% of the credits you only get 80% BAH. That also takes effect Aug 1.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HKfan3
            Do you have to sign up for the post 9-11 bill like the mgib? I have basic next year, and am debating whether I should contribute the $1200 for the mgib or not.
            No, there is no buy in. You do 3 years, u get 100%. Don't sign up for MGIB, I'm not even sure if that's an option anymore.
            "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

            Comment


            • #7
              There is no option to buy the MGIB anymore. Also if you use all 36 months of the post-9/11 you will receive a proportional amount of the MGIB back.

              Comment


              • #8
                I was also curious if it matters if I am reserve, even though I will have over three years active after 911 by the time I would think about using it.

                I think I might just hold onto it and transfer it to my little one when she gets older. If she gets a scholarship or goes ROTC I can simply pursue a PHD when I retire. Not that I need it to get a job but heck, collecting retirement pay and BAH would be pretty sweet. Why not go back to school?


                "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Deleted...
                  Last edited by jd08; 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I use it and it's an AMAZING benefit. If you are eligible and you don't use it or transfer it to a spouse/child, you're bat-$&%* insane.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I just finished up using it and only had a year and a half worth of benefits left after the start of it in August of 2009. It puts the MGIB to shame. I used the MGIB for 2 1/2 years before they enacted the Post 9/11. I pocketed $100 bucks a month after paying tuition and had to work full-time to pay my bills. While using the Post 9/11 I was able to quit my job to finish up. They pay full tuition and gave me $1500 a month in BAH. Anyone who is entitled and doesnt use it is insane. Do not transfer it, you earned it. Get your education.
                      FAMS

                      App Received 3/15/2011
                      Met Quals 5/04/2011
                      CO 5/04/2011
                      Crim/Cred 5/07/2011
                      FAB 5/16/2011
                      FOS 5/24/2011
                      Panel 8/09/2011
                      Referred Blue star
                      Hiring Freeze 1/2012


                      FBI SA

                      App 8/2011
                      Phase I 9/2011
                      Meet and Greet 10/2011
                      Phase II ?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SFvet View Post
                        I just finished up using it and only had a year and a half worth of benefits left after the start of it in August of 2009. It puts the MGIB to shame. I used the MGIB for 2 1/2 years before they enacted the Post 9/11. I pocketed $100 bucks a month after paying tuition and had to work full-time to pay my bills. While using the Post 9/11 I was able to quit my job to finish up. They pay full tuition and gave me $1500 a month in BAH. Anyone who is entitled and doesnt use it is insane. Do not transfer it, you earned it. Get your education.
                        Well, I do have a law degree so I am not the most ambitious when it comes to getting further educated. My brain is about fried.

                        OTOH, when I retire from the State and the Army in about 15 years, I might be quite bored. 2 pensions and BAH to go to school is a good deal. But if my daughter is as bright as I think she is( she's almost 6), I won't have to transfer it to her.


                        "Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ignite View Post
                          I use it and it's an AMAZING benefit. If you are eligible and you don't use it or transfer it to a spouse/child, you're bat-$&%* insane.
                          What this guy said. I used every single ounce of it getting my BA in NYC. The BAH for the NYC zip code was staggering (like 2800 a month TAX FREE) and I will never have a more comfortable 3 years in my life like when I was using this benefit! I worked part time to keep my sanity also while going to school full time. I made more money between my part time job and the GI Bill than I do right now as a new Police Officer. Crazy stuff, that benefit is GOLD. Don't let it expire. USE IT.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have heard horror stories on the post 9-11 bill. the main story i keep hearing is that you dont get your BAH check on time and there is crazy stuff you have to do each month to get this BAH. Can anyone bust this story? I get out in 5 months and am ready to use this great benefit.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This was true when they first rolled the benefit out. It's more streamlined now. You just need to submit your application well in advance. Probably like 90 days lead time.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4475 users online. 276 members and 4199 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X