Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military or a Graduate school help

Any advice would be extremely helpful!

I am graduating in May (B.S in Criminal Justice, Minor in Sociology) from my local university in San Diego and I am hoping to set myself up now for the future. I want to get into Fed LE down the road, but as of now I am debating if I should continue on with school (online masters program somewhere) or join the military to serve my country, gain valuable experience, and get the squared away attitude and style of the military. I don't know what branch I would want to serve, or what level (officer, enlisted, reserves), Ive been told to look into the Coast Guard, because they are under DHS, and I would like to get into the DHS, but I am hoping for advice to better guide my decision.

Any help would be great guys/gals thanks in advance!

Well if you have a B.S. I probably would not go enlisted. You can get your MA online in the military (I earned my degree in the military) and still serve. Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and the military can be a valuable resource for you once you are in and when you get out. If you go OCS in the Army I believe the service commitment is still three years so keep that in mind. Additionally, at three years now is pretty much automatic O-3, so you may end up enjoying your term and want to stay. CPT is when you start getting commands, getting the good staff jobs, etc. Of course this is all for active duty. If you went reserves as an officer, you can have the best of both worlds, and even do your grad studies at a brick and mortar school.

Comment

Honestly, if you want to join the military or the coast guard, then go for it, but don't do it to gain experience for some future job. If you aren't dedicated to the military mission at hand (which may, at times, be contradictory to your future job plans), then don't even apply. The military doesn't exist to provide job experience or something that looks good on a resume. Most of the job experience you received would also have very little to do with any federal law enforcement job you would find (unless it was one that worked for the military).

Comment

The military is a great place to go while you try and figure out what you want to be when you grow up.

It should not be considered a resume building step if you are looking to check a block.

it's bigger than that.

M-11
        “All men dream...... But not equally..
        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
          It should not be considered a resume building step if you are looking to check a block.
          Bingo!

Some of the guys I know that are up at Schofield Barracks in Inftantry Line Companies aren't happy with some of the new folks showing up......

College grads that enlisted just to build their resumes...... They have no idea what they are getting into and are already counting the days down till they get out..... Only to get a reality check when they get orders to head over to A-Stan for Combat Ops.......

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
            The military is a great place to go while you try and figure out what you want to be when you grow up.

it's bigger than that.

M-11
            I understand thank you and same to you Bearcat , I do not wish to use it as a resume builder, i know once your in it, its a life choice, and a full time commitment. What do you or anyone else recommend considering the harsh times we are in? Officer, enlisted reserves?

Comment

I'm a Sr NCO with about 16 years in 3 different specialties (K-9, JTAC, Investigator)

I would say the best RIDE is the enlisted side of the house.

The best RESUME material is the Officer route.

Guard and reserves are just about on the same footing as AD.

M-11
              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Challenge9 View Post
                I understand thank you and same to you Bearcat , I do not wish to use it as a resume builder, i know once your in it, its a life choice, and a full time commitment. What do you or anyone else recommend considering the harsh times we are in? Officer, enlisted reserves?
                Just depends on what you want to do.... If you want to be a doer.....Enlisted is the way to go....

If you want to be manager and make money....Officer is the way to go.

Of course, there are exceptions do that based on what you do.....and where you do it at......

I've told several folks if I had to do it all over with, I would have joined the AF and got on as Crew Dog on a cargo....traveled the world....and tried to bust out classes to at least get 2 years of College knocked out......

Now days, you could get your PHd online with a decent school and internet connection with the military footing most of the bill.....plus get to travel out the wazoo if you go that route.

Once again, just depends what interests you.

If you are wanting to be a FLEO/LEO once you get done.....you don't have to go the cop route. Most of the cops are doing other things and not real LE work. Might as well go do something you want to......and be happy. Watching Aircraft take off and land on flightline would suck balls.....and I see the guys/gals here do that 24/7 and they aren't happy......

Comment

I can say I’m getting my wake up call, and even a reserve commitment is significant when I consider all the other things going on in my life that I now have to put on the back burner. It’s not my full time job, but it now drives everything else in my life and all things are subordinate to it.

Based on my drill schedule we are out of the country 5 weeks a year (and that’s on top of our monthly weekends). That’s my next 6 years, and if I get a direct commission next year then that clock starts over. So I’ll probably be looking at least 8 years.

What I was told by my XO was he’s never heard of anyone being turned down for a reservist direct commission that has put in for it. Overall the reserves are short of officers.

Why I’m doing it is to actually “DO” something. I will either enhance my future LEO applications, or I’ll get a direct commission, stay in, and put the LEO thing behind me. Maybe I'll become a full time LEO and stay army reserve (who knows).

What I might like to mention thus far to the OP is it doesn’t sound like you “KNOW” which path or service you even want to pursue yet. I think that ambiguity will make you fodder for the recruiters. If you go in wanting an officer path they are going to direct you towards all sorts of other things that are the path of least resistance for them. Especially if you want an officer path and show signs of uncertainty.

Stick to your guns.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                  - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Why not do both?

Go talk to your local ROTC detachment, attend basic summer camp and then do 2 years of ROTC while you attend your grad school and then get your commission.

Comment

I say do both too! I love the military, it is good for life experience and some agecnies like the military given the MOS. I graduate next month with a B.S in Criminal Justice and minor in psychology. I may go to masters next year but right now Im applying for local agencies. I may also go to OCS instead of stay enlisted with my degree. If you do go military look into enlisted and commission. Its not all about pay, its about you and what you want to do. Enlisted is a good group to be but does not pay as much. Its fairly complicated but I wish you luck.

Comment

If you do it make sure you get a contract for something that will help you later in obtaining your goals. If I could do it again I would be a military police officer or human intelligence, etc. I’m not sure how the rest of the services works but getting a degree while in the infantry as a new guy on the Marine side is extreme hard if not impossible. Also, military service is a sacrifice and there is a possibility that you may hurt yourself whether in combat or just from running/training everyday, which might affect your long term goals. If it is just a box for the resume, I would go reserves or National Guard MP and pick up a local law enforcement position for experience.

Comment

I know several Active Duty Guys who are reserve/Part time cops in communities near their bases as well.

They get the fun of being a cop, and the benefit of living behind the gate.

M-11

TE Lawrence

Comment

You just have to think about what you have learned about your chosen field-and yourself-that has further stimulated your interest and reinforced your conviction that you are well suited to that course of study.

Last edited by atashashane; 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3037 users online. 197 members and 2840 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X