Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off duty concealed carry on military installation?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off duty concealed carry on military installation?

Can a sworn officer conceal carry off duty while on a military installation?

If so, is there anything that needs to be done prior to making a visit to the installation or when you get to the gate?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

There have been several previous threads on this subject.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I'll point you in the right direction:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...LEO-in-Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas_LEO View Post

If so, is there anything that needs to be done prior to making a visit to the installation or when you get to the gate?

Per DOD Regulations, you are required to stop at the Access Control Point (Gate) and tell the folks working there you are carrying and show them the proper creds. More than likely, they will want you to go to the station, turn it in there, and then come fetch it once your business is over with since you are in an off-duty status. Some places may let you go on your merry way once you check in with the Desk... Just depends.

If you come onto the installation and don't tell them that you are packing....and you get pulled over on a RAM, Speeding, running a stop sign, going wrong way, etc....and they find out you are carrying......it won't be fun......

And yes, you could get someone that doesn't care who you are and jam you up....... I know a few reserves that have gotten jammed up because they carryed on post when they were showing up for a drill and got jammed up with their agency and their military unit.

Best advice is to not carry unless you absolutely have to.....and if you do...play by the rules that they set...... Or pull over before you get on post, unload the damn thing, put it in the trunk, and go about your merry way.....

Comment

Oh Crap!

I carry off duty on the base all the time.

M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
            Oh Crap!

M-11
            M-11! Step away from the keyboard and handcuff yourself! Proceed to the main gate at your base and submit yourself for processing.....................Oh and be sure to take credit for your arrest!
            "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Oh Crap!

M-11
              Because you can Dinkwad.....

Comment

Oh yeah,

Now I'll have to arrest someone who's not me. I already wrote the report and put it in the slide show...

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

the slide show...
                  Death by powerpoint......

Comment

It is very installation-specific. At mine, we don't even ask, if they are a LEO qualified under LEOSA we presume that they are carrying. No one has made an issue of it at any level of management.
                    Never ask a man if he served in the Marine Corps! If he earned the title "Marine" he will tell you, if he didn't, there is no need to embarrass him.

Comment

M-11, I have rethought my original reply. You should give yourself a "Professional Courtesy" with a stern warning not to let it happen again!

As long as you "Open carry" you should be good to go.
                      Last edited by RoadKingTrooper; 04-30-2011, 09:29 AM. Reason: 2nd Ammendment rights added
                      "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

Originally posted by Re-Birth View Post
                        It is very installation-specific.
                        IMCOM does have a policy that is supposed to be used Army wide........ but you know how that goes.......

Comment

FT Carson will hose you.
                          MAC

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas_LEO View Post

When I was in the TX Air Guard (1999-2007) AGR SF Flight Chief at Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, we ran in to that same scenario. We had Air and Army Guard, Army, Navy, and Marine Corp Reserves that are cops and would bring in their weapon. We were briefed by our Squadron Commander (he was a DEA SA) during guardmount that we have so many cops coming in for their AT and UTA, we were told if we are doing RAM, to ask vehicle occupant(s) if they have any weapon(s) in the vehicle and if they say yes, we ask where it is and their civilian job. If they say they are cop, we ask for badge and credential, and if we find their weapon concealed (glove compartment, mid-console, under seat, etc...) we just tell them that during their duty day, weapon must be in the vehicle at all times and not to be carried on their person. We didn't baby sit anybody's weapons, except TDY weapons like 160th SOAR when they stop by with their birds. Otherwise, my unit didn't make a big fuss about cops bringing in their weapons. Our Squadron Commander (with approval from Installation Commander) was really cool with off duty L.E. doing their UTA or AT bringing in their weapon as long as it is concealed in the vehicle and it is not carried on their person while on base. We treated cops like cops and not some maniac that would go on shooting spree while on my installation. I guess that's probably why our local PD and County SO gave us a lot of breaks when we committed infraction off base (i.e. speeding, expired registration/inspection, etc...) We had an excellent relationship with the outside L.E. community.
                            "Maybe you should ask yourself, do I feel lucky? Well, do you, punk?"- Dirty Harry

Comment

Originally posted by RoadKingTrooper View Post
                              M-11! Step away from the keyboard and handcuff yourself! Proceed to the main gate at your base and submit yourself for processing.....................Oh and be sure to take credit for your arrest!
                              If he were to handcuff himself, should he at least handcuff in the front if he's going to be driving?
                              In Process Apps:
                              LASD - 04/2015 Completed Out of State Testing
                              Passed Written, Fitness, Polygraph
                              08/2015 - Background Completed
                              09/2015 - Medical/Psych Scheduled

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6473 users online. 345 members and 6128 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X