Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navy Reserves

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Navy Reserves

    Ok, guys, I know I have mentioned on this forum before the desire to serve in the military, well now I am curious if anyone can tell me personal opinions of the navy reserves. I'm 31, have never served in the military, and have a bachelors degree. The only thing I know is the stuff I have read on their website. Any info would be helpful.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


    BOP - BPA - ICE

  • #2
    A bachelor's degree would allow you to enter at least as an E-3, I should think. Bear in mind that the Reserves are Federally funded; as opposed to the National Guard- which is state funded and carries a state mission. Bear in mind also that there is no Navy National Guard, either. That said, what did you have in mind for your rating? (Job)? Master At Arms? Gunner's Mate?

    The jobs availible to you would depend greatly on the ASVAB scores that you took in High School. The higher your score, the more jobs will be availible to you. You will be required to go to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) to conduct a complete in-depth physical, urine and blood drug testing, interviewing, selecting your rating, finalizing your contract, and then swearing-in. After that you will be given a "shipping" date for basic taining, and A-school. (Your job-training school).

    Your recruiter will (SHOULD) explain all this to you; before you agree to a single thing. You are under NO obligations to the military until you actually sign your contract and swear-in. So you might want to check in not only with the Navy Reserve, but also all the other branches before you make a decision.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

    Comment


    • #3
      I want to elaborate on what QuietPro wrote. Reserves are solely responsible to the federal government and all therefore their money comes from the federal government. National Guard carries two hats. They are both Federal and State. Depending on what you're doing, the funds may come from either the federal side or the state side. My understanding when I was Air National Guard was that routine activities such as drill, annual tour, etc. came from federal budget. Some of the full time people during the day were state employees and we also had personnel working JDET (Joint Drug Enforcement Task Team) support. They were on state orders so they would have been receiving pay from state money instead of federal money.

      Also, having a Bachelor's degree may allow you to enter as a Commissioned Officer if you're not over the age limit for the specialty that you sign up for.

      Just my $.02
      In Process Apps:
      LASD - 04/2015 Completed Out of State Testing
      Passed Written, Fitness, Polygraph
      08/2015 - Background Completed
      09/2015 - Medical/Psych Scheduled

      Comment


      • #4
        If you can, talk to an navy reserve officer recruiter. You are eligible for DCO (Direct Commission Officer) Program depending on your degree. That's your best bet, IMO, to get what you are best qualified for.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
          A bachelor's degree would allow you to enter at least as an E-3, I should think. Bear in mind that the Reserves are Federally funded; as opposed to the National Guard- which is state funded and carries a state mission. Bear in mind also that there is no Navy National Guard, either. That said, what did you have in mind for your rating? (Job)? Master At Arms? Gunner's Mate?

          The jobs availible to you would depend greatly on the ASVAB scores that you took in High School. The higher your score, the more jobs will be availible to you. You will be required to go to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) to conduct a complete in-depth physical, urine and blood drug testing, interviewing, selecting your rating, finalizing your contract, and then swearing-in. After that you will be given a "shipping" date for basic taining, and A-school. (Your job-training school).

          Your recruiter will (SHOULD) explain all this to you; before you agree to a single thing. You are under NO obligations to the military until you actually sign your contract and swear-in. So you might want to check in not only with the Navy Reserve, but also all the other branches before you make a decision.
          ASVAB scores don't go that far back, you would take a new ASVAB test at MEPS. You can actually go officer with a Bachelor Degree. http://www.navyreserve.com/about/res...s/officer.html
          Going reserves is not a bad thing and many employers fully support it. You will be deployed and it could be to combat areas. Just take everything a recuiter tells you with a grain of salt it's not all good.
          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

          "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

          Comment


          • #6
            My wife is in the Navy Reserves, enlisted. The only thing I'll say about her time in so far is that the Unit is very much involved in her life outside of Drill weekends. She gets more calls in a 2 month period from one supervisor or another than I have ever gotten in the Air Force Reserve/Guard, and I've been in over 12 years. She gets tasked with this or that that has to be completed by Drill, often times some type of online training or requirement, or to check on another Seaman's career development and make a report.

            If my Unit called with things I had to do by Drill or called to tell me to check on how an Airman was getting along with his CDC's, I'd p-iss myself laughing as I hung up. I realize every unit has training requirements...that's what Drills are for. Check on a junior enlisted members career progression? I did that last Drill, pretty sure they don't need their hand held until next month.

            I'm continually amazed by the amount of involvement required of her by her leadership between Drill weekends...I could never do it. If it's not Drill weekend or you don't have a set of orders for me to come in, leave me alone. Reserve is not Active Duty, no matter how bad some of the "gung-ho" types want it to be.
            Last edited by _XD_; 04-11-2011, 02:07 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              XD,


              Taking care of your people, whether or not it's a Drill Weekend is part of being a LEADER. Glad you think so little of anyone working under you. One weekend a month is not enough time to do all that is needed. If you can't wrap your head around it, go IRR and get out. You won't be prepared, you won't have prepared your team, and you are a failure in your current billet.

              Reserve requirements are more than they were 15 years ago. I guess being AF you don't have that standard, but I can assure you that all the other branches take serving quite seriously. Your "12 years" attitude is just amazing, but sad to say, typical of someone who just wants a paycheck and retirement on the backs of the citizens of this country. You are a glowing example of why there is such push-back against Gov't retirements.

              Do your country a favor and get the hell out before your **** someone up.
              Free Deke O'Mally!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                XD,


                Taking care of your people, whether or not it's a Drill Weekend is part of being a LEADER. Glad you think so little of anyone working under you. One weekend a month is not enough time to do all that is needed. If you can't wrap your head around it, go IRR and get out. You won't be prepared, you won't have prepared your team, and you are a failure in your current billet.

                Reserve requirements are more than they were 15 years ago. I guess being AF you don't have that standard, but I can assure you that all the other branches take serving quite seriously. Your "12 years" attitude is just amazing, but sad to say, typical of someone who just wants a paycheck and retirement on the backs of the citizens of this country. You are a glowing example of why there is such push-back against Gov't retirements.

                Do your country a favor and get the hell out before your **** someone up.
                District,
                +1
                Please understand that XD does not speak for all AF Reservists as I and many in my unit do not fall into that category.

                Unfortunately, I do know a few that do. Some have even tried to say that if they fall out of their chair working on the computer at home doing AF activities, there would be some Worker's Comp issues. Really? Worker's comp.
                In Process Apps:
                LASD - 04/2015 Completed Out of State Testing
                Passed Written, Fitness, Polygraph
                08/2015 - Background Completed
                09/2015 - Medical/Psych Scheduled

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                  XD,


                  Taking care of your people, whether or not it's a Drill Weekend is part of being a LEADER. Glad you think so little of anyone working under you. One weekend a month is not enough time to do all that is needed. If you can't wrap your head around it, go IRR and get out. You won't be prepared, you won't have prepared your team, and you are a failure in your current billet.

                  Reserve requirements are more than they were 15 years ago. I guess being AF you don't have that standard, but I can assure you that all the other branches take serving quite seriously. Your "12 years" attitude is just amazing, but sad to say, typical of someone who just wants a paycheck and retirement on the backs of the citizens of this country. You are a glowing example of why there is such push-back against Gov't retirements.

                  Do your country a favor and get the hell out before your **** someone up.
                  No offense but that is the biggest load of BS that I have heard. Last I checked, the reserves have unit administrators whose job is to keep on top of the training and making sure people have their stuff together. If your a squad leader than a phone call once a month making sure your people are on top of their training is enough but it should not rest on someone because they are a squad leader. It seems as if there is an issue with the unit and its full time members either not doing enough work or just simply being overloaded.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                    XD,


                    Taking care of your people, whether or not it's a Drill Weekend is part of being a LEADER. Glad you think so little of anyone working under you. One weekend a month is not enough time to do all that is needed. If you can't wrap your head around it, go IRR and get out. You won't be prepared, you won't have prepared your team, and you are a failure in your current billet.

                    Reserve requirements are more than they were 15 years ago. I guess being AF you don't have that standard, but I can assure you that all the other branches take serving quite seriously. Your "12 years" attitude is just amazing, but sad to say, typical of someone who just wants a paycheck and retirement on the backs of the citizens of this country. You are a glowing example of why there is such push-back against Gov't retirements.

                    Do your country a favor and get the hell out before your **** someone up.
                    Your lack of reading comprehension and general understanding of the most basic concepts is laughable. I see a great deal of assumptions in your post, poor attempts to misconstrue what I said, and zero facts.

                    One weekend a month and an annual tour IS enough...if you can't wrap your head around it, get another job. Every Unit I have been in has taken care of business continually since 9/11 with this number of days annually. If you can't accomplish the same, your leadership, NCO's and training program need a serious evaluation.

                    ...and I hesitate to mention it, but you really should go back and read where I used the example of 12 years in a comparison to a two month time frame...a far cry from the chest thumping entitlement you dreamed up as being part of my post.

                    By the way, when you begin to refuse a paycheck for UTA and become a full fledged volunteer, then you can talk sh^t about motivations for retirement. Until then, we both have the same job, and your misplaced sense of grandeur does not make you any more or less of a patriot than me, but it does display your IQ.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As a fire team leader, I talk to my people every now and then to make sure they get squared away with whatever task is at hand. There are always training opportunities and/or volunteer opportunities, and I always ask my younger/lower ranking folks that I am responsible for, if they are interested. Aside from my squad leader being a friend of mine outside of drill, we keep in touch regularly to make sure we have everything good to go for those two, sometimes three days a month. And you're right, that amount of time, with the amount of responsibility they ask from reservists, is not enough. How can you train when you have to do online training that is due during drill weekend, and you forget to do them and are stuck in front of a computer all weekend long? Aside from that, you have the range twice a year, you have your PT test twice a year, and a few other mandatory training sessions that take away a lot of time.

                      Plus, what are you going to say when they call you up for involuntary recall? Let me know when I'm at drill?
                      Last edited by Arewethereyet; 04-11-2011, 08:52 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        To be fair, there IS a lot of duplicity and needless "make work" in the Navy reserve that necessitates doing things on your own time. A lot of it has to do with just not having as much time to get certain tasks done as the active duty guys, but much of it also has to do with what I like to call the "spaz" factor.

                        That means that as unit CO, you think you're "just" a reservist and assume you're so far behind the active side that no amount of extra work during the month will ever be enough to "catch up." So you push your folks incessantly, whether they need it or not. And a lot of people who exhibit the "spaz" factor are people who were either NEVER on active duty, who were on it so long ago that we were still using sails, or who just had a bad experience with a deployed reserve unit and now assume that all reservists are automatically shi%birds and need to be micromanaged.

                        Being required by the CO to call my sailors 3 or 4 times a month to make sure they completed some mundane online annual training module made me feel, at times, more like a babysitter than a Naval officer. And I'm sure many of them got the same impression. And the irony was that next drill, they'd likely be doing it onsite, anyway, because some chief wanted to it done differently, wanted to "make sure" it had been done to the Nth degree, etc.

                        That may be what XD is referring to.
                        "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                          No offense but that is the biggest load of BS that I have heard. Last I checked, the reserves have unit administrators whose job is to keep on top of the training and making sure people have their stuff together. If your a squad leader than a phone call once a month making sure your people are on top of their training is enough but it should not rest on someone because they are a squad leader. It seems as if there is an issue with the unit and its full time members either not doing enough work or just simply being overloaded.
                          You're way off base. Reserves have active duty reservists, formerly known as TAR (Training and Administration of Reserves) thaat are supposed to keep on top of all that. Mostly admin types, but some other jobs fall in this catagory also. http://www.navyreserve.com/about/structure.html
                          GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

                          "For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
                            To be fair, there IS a lot of duplicity and needless "make work" in the Navy reserve that necessitates doing things on your own time. A lot of it has to do with just not having as much time to get certain tasks done as the active duty guys, but much of it also has to do with what I like to call the "spaz" factor.

                            That means that as unit CO, you think you're "just" a reservist and assume you're so far behind the active side that no amount of extra work during the month will ever be enough to "catch up." So you push your folks incessantly, whether they need it or not. And a lot of people who exhibit the "spaz" factor are people who were either NEVER on active duty, who were on it so long ago that we were still using sails, or who just had a bad experience with a deployed reserve unit and now assume that all reservists are automatically shi%birds and need to be micromanaged.

                            Being required by the CO to call my sailors 3 or 4 times a month to make sure they completed some mundane online annual training module made me feel, at times, more like a babysitter than a Naval officer. And I'm sure many of them got the same impression. And the irony was that next drill, they'd likely be doing it onsite, anyway, because some chief wanted to it done differently, wanted to "make sure" it had been done to the Nth degree, etc.

                            That may be what XD is referring to.

                            This is precisely the type of thing I am referring to.

                            We can have differing opinions about whether it's right or wrong, needed or not needed. My original point stands: I am continually amazed by the involvement my wife's Naval Unit has on her everyday life. She gets more phone calls and emails at home (this portion is for you, District) in a typical 2 month period than I have received in the entire time I have been in the military, which for comparison sake, has been 12 years.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
                              As a fire team leader, I talk to my people every now and then to make sure they get squared away with whatever task is at hand. There are always training opportunities and/or volunteer opportunities, and I always ask my younger/lower ranking folks that I am responsible for, if they are interested. Aside from my squad leader being a friend of mine outside of drill, we keep in touch regularly to make sure we have everything good to go for those two, sometimes three days a month. And you're right, that amount of time, with the amount of responsibility they ask from reservists, is not enough. How can you train when you have to do online training that is due during drill weekend, and you forget to do them and are stuck in front of a computer all weekend long? Aside from that, you have the range twice a year, you have your PT test twice a year, and a few other mandatory training sessions that take away a lot of time.

                              Plus, what are you going to say when they call you up for involuntary recall? Let me know when I'm at drill?

                              Personal relationships and correlating conversations between Drill weekends is not the type of involvement I am talking about. To continue with that a bit and touch a bit on District's tirade, I feel there is a difference between "checking on your people" and being mandated to do so in an official capacity and report it as such. All I am saying is it seems the Naval Reserve, from my limited experience observing the wife, requires more out of it's Part-Timers than I would expect. I mean she has a CAC reader and checks her Navy email on a daily basis, lest she miss some mandatory training requirement...and it was a HUGE deal when we got a new computer and there was difficulty getting the CAC reader to operate correctly. To be involved on a near daily basis with a Reserve Unit seems excessive, in my opinion.

                              As to your other point, we disagree...sure, Drill weekend can be very busy and extremely convoluted with a variety of classes, online requirements, appointments, and training...but I know in the classrooms and amongst the training areas of my Squadron, it gets done. Maybe everyone is motivated because they don't get micromanaged at home during the month...they get treated like adults, so they act like adults when duty calls.

                              As for involuntary recalls, let's just say Caller ID is a blessing

                              Okay, not really, that is an exception...just as some career fields have additional training requirements per month that the hours of Drill weekend simply will not permit, such as flight hours.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4467 users online. 285 members and 4182 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X