Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Less talk more do: No going back now, I'm in, signed and sworn.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less talk more do: No going back now, I'm in, signed and sworn.

You know folks, I’m much less apprehensive about this whole thing than when I quit work for the police academy. Of course I don’t ship for over 5 months so I imagine it will all come slamming down on me as I’m right on top of that day.

Any hooo, that’s it. I’ve got no LEO plans on my plate. The plan was to renew my certificate this summer, and that all seems pointless now. If I have a job to come back to after training then I wont have time to renew it, if I don’t I will have plenty of time to renew then.

A few things observed at MEPS. There was this really lovely woman at the reception center for the recruits. Turns out she was one of the parents of the new solders. I’m old :-(

Second, usually when I go to MEPS I’m the only old guy. They were coming out of the wood work. March 31st is our last day. One guy got royally screwed. He was going active duty with a ship date of October. That’s a no go. Active guys time in starts at ship date. Mine as a reserve starts as soon as I signed. So he now has to find something with an April 30th start date (1 month grace assuming everything else is done with is application). I think he’s SOL.

That’s the one silver lining going on. Now that I’m in I can reach officer by either a direct reserve commission, or I can go OCS. While I still need an age waiver at least I can do it on the inside. I couldn’t do it on the outside. If I don’t get approval then, well, I’ve really reached as far as I can reach anyway.

Not much else. I’m not a LEO MOS, and I’m pretty much shelved my civilian LEO efforts so I’ll just continue to post here like a total wannabe.

One last thing. There was one girl there also wanting the same MOS as myself. When she tried to reserve it yesterday it was gone. Some other jerk took it
    Last edited by SCV-Sop; 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

Um, refresh my memory, boss: What MOS did you enlist for, how long, and did you choose Active or Reserve? You say you're old; do you mean pushing 40? Where are you heading for training?
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
      Um, refresh my memory, boss: What MOS did you enlist for, how long, and did you choose Active or Reserve? You say you're old; do you mean pushing 40? Where are you heading for training?
      35F - Military Intel Analyst

I’ll be 39 when I hit basic. The only reason this worked is because reservists in time service clock starts the moment they sign the dotted line.

Something else just occurred to me just now as I got a phone call to inform me about AR-RAP (it’s a program where I get money for everyone I reference for enlistment in the reserves). I’m now going to be on a Marketing list for the rest of my life. I’m going to get slammed with lending and financial solicitation and medical and insurance products and it will never ever go away.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I wish you the best of Luck....
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Welcome, brother!! HOOAH! Where are you going to BCT/OSUT?
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Smurfette
          Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
          Originally posted by DAL
          You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
            Welcome, brother!! HOOAH! Where are you going to BCT/OSUT?
            Fort Leonard Wood for BCT
            Fort Huachuca for AIT

Back in CA in April 2012. So that's a long way away still.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Fort Leonard Wood is the devils @$$hole!!! I have been here entirely to long so I might sound bitter. Either way BCT is the best time you will ever have. It will remind you of the good old days playing Army. Good luck! Welcome to the US Army.
              Peace out...war in!

Comment

Originally posted by EagleFist13 View Post
                Fort Leonard Wood is the devils @$$hole!!! I have been here entirely to long so I might sound bitter. Either way BCT is the best time you will ever have. It will remind you of the good old days playing Army. Good luck! Welcome to the US Army.
                As far as training locations go, the only good ones I’ve heard anyone talk about are now closed bases (i.e. Fort Ord, CA).

I'm also incline to agree basic is going to be "fun". Seriously, there wasn't one day of the police academy that I wasn't glad to quit my job and was there. When you're 18 and doing something like this I'm sure it's a big thing in their life. When you are almost 40, it's a break from the reality of life, financial obligations, and worrying about how I'll end up when I'm retired. I'll get to forget about that, and only have to focus on each minute as it comes.
                Last edited by SCV-Sop; 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Congratulations, and I think you will be pleased with your chosen MOS and will have a variety of jobs available to you on the civilian side when you have completed your training, particularly if you end up with a Top Secret clearance.

Someone who is/has experience as Army Intel could verify, but I'd imagine all Analysts are investigated for a TS, but I could be wrong. Should you be so fortunate, you should be able to secure in the Intel field if you so desire...networking with the guys at your Unit will be great way for you to break into that world.

Again, congrats
                  Last edited by _XD_; 04-14-2011, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by _XD_ View Post
                    Congratulations, and I think you will be pleased with your chosen MOS and will have a variety of jobs available to you on the civilian side when you have completed your training, particularly if you end up with a Top Secret clearance.

Someone who is/has experience as Army Intel could verify, but I'd imagine all Analysts are investigated for a TS, but I could be wrong. Should you be so fortunate, you should be able to secure in the Intel field if you so desire...networking with the guys at your Unit will be great way for you to break into that world.

Again, congrats
                    Yes, as far as I know all analysts are required to possess a top secret clearance. It will be a challenging and rewarding job, especially when you see your reports being briefed up to the COL or a general officer

Comment

That’s my understanding as well (about TS). I had to go through a preliminary BG questionnaire, and was told the BG should be done around the time I head to BCT.

What’s really exciting for me (at least in my mind), is when I pulled the police academy stunt and quit my job to do so I took a HUGE risk. For a month I continually questioned myself “What the hell am I doing here, I just gave up a $75K job for this BS?????”, and simply pushed through as a matter of pride and commitment to my decision. After the first round of scenario exams it became quite clear I could do this.

NONE of that apprehension exists now. Law dictates I get my job back this time, and while I expect the Army to be far more physically demanding and a much different level of BS I feel there are elements of it that are designed for a lower common denominator that I should have no trouble reaching.

So now, instead of “what was I thinking” it will be “here I go again………….”

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3709 users online. 239 members and 3470 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X