X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-11
    replied
    OK , Here's my take on why you guys don't have arrest authority:

Years ago, when Base Security was a joke (waving at Stickers Etc...), and the ranks of MP/SP/MA were filled with people who didn't care what they did in the military, or failed their chosen jobs, There were a bunch of people, both Civ and Mil who were in charge of base security programs.

Active LE was treated like Mall cops, with Widowmaker holsters, Bizzare weapons carry conditions, and a disinterested 20 year E-5 in charge of the night shift. As the Civ counterparts became more prevalent, many were the same bored disinterested guys who retired and got on at their old unit as a base cop.

It was Mayberry with BDU's at most of our bases.

Things have changed, but the folks who were in charge of things at the base level, who spent most of their time chaptering out idiot AD Patrolmen and trying to get their CIV employees to dress themselves right, are now at the MAJCOM, Program Mgr level, and they have not seen what the people in the field are really like now.

Last they saw was the base security programs in the Mid/Late 90's. And because they are so far up in the adminisphere, they are unaware of how things have progressed.

To those of us who were on Base security in 1995; How many of those guys would you have wanted armed all the time and arresting folks?

Things have changed at the street level, but it will take time before the Big Machine admits/reacts to the change.

Someday, one of the posters here will be in a position to change policy. if they stick it out and don't jump to a Civ agency before they climb the ladder.

M-11

Leave a comment:

• QuietPro
    replied
    ^^^ Roger that. But still, the issue of Arrest vs. Apprehension remains.

I'm not calling the guy an idiot or trying to be dis-respectful to him. But it's important to point out that simple difference in those two terms has a dramatic affect on us here at our level. That's all I was saying.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
    ^^^ I checked his profile first, Bearcat. The poster is a non-LEO with SF expereince.....but he claims he's an anaylist. Plus, he was talking about "Powers of Arrest" for the Air Force, when there is no such animal for the DoD branches.
    0301 Analyst/Progam Manager can certainly work in the SF field at the funny building along the Potomac..... I work with them all the time......

Just sayin'......

Leave a comment:

• QuietPro
    replied
    ^^^ I checked his profile first, Bearcat. The poster is a non-LEO with SF expereince.....but he claims he's an anaylist. Plus, he was talking about "Powers of Arrest" for the Air Force, when there is no such animal for the DoD branches.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
    I suggest you do more research before posting like this and trying to make it sound factual; especially being new to the forums.
    Errr....Situational Awareness..... Poster states that he is at the Pentagon and appears to work for USAF SF side of the house there in his profile......

Leave a comment:

• QuietPro
    replied
    Originally posted by matbo911 View Post
    The Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2010 (concealed carry off duty) requires that the 083 arrest authority be statutory --- that is, embedded in law. Within DoD, only 083s in the Pentagon Force Protection Agency (PFPA) and the National Security Agency (NSA) are given arrest authority in a LAW (i.e. statute). In the Air Force the arrest authority is provided --- not by law --- but delegated by the Installation Commander.

So, Air Force 083s do have arrest authority, but it is not derived by law, but by delegation. Therefore the LEOSA 2010 off duty carry provisions do not apply.

The Fraternal Order of Police is working to change the law to eliminate the words 'statutory arrest authoirty'...if they are successful, then LEOSA will apply.
    First of all, welcome to O.Com.

Your wording, unfortunately, is completely incorrect. NO 0083 Army, Navy, USMC, OR Air Force Police Officer has "statutory power of arrest"; regardless of branch. Nor can the Installation Commander grant the power to "Arrest". Police Officers, MP's, Commissioned Officers, and NCO's have the power of apprehension, not arrest. The commander's authority and the power of apprehension is derived from the U.C.M.J. and the Manual for Courts Martial. I suggest you do more research before posting like this and trying to make it sound factual; especially being new to the forums.

The rest of your post is old news; I'm not sure why you're posting it. LEOSA policy and DoD officers has been discussed in multiple threads before this one. We are all painfully aware that LEOSA does not apply to us, yet. Again, do a thread search first.
    Last edited by QuietPro; 03-30-2011, 02:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• matbo911
    replied
    arresnt authoirty --- source of authoirty is the issue

The Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act of 2010 (concealed carry off duty) requires that the 083 arrest authority be statutory --- that is, embedded in law. Within DoD, only 083s in the Pentagon Force Protection Agency (PFPA) and the National Security Agency (NSA) are given arrest authority in a LAW (i.e. statute). In the Air Force the arrest authority is provided --- not by law --- but delegated by the Installation Commander.

So, Air Force 083s do have arrest authority, but it is not derived by law, but by delegation. Therefore the LEOSA 2010 off duty carry provisions do not apply.

The Fraternal Order of Police is working to change the law to eliminate the words 'statutory arrest authoirty'...if they are successful, then LEOSA will apply.
    Last edited by matbo911; 03-30-2011, 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Re-Birth
    replied
    I saw the PR too in the bike patrol pic, it's probably a MP thing cuz the guy wasn't wearing a DA Patch.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Whats up with the PR-24...

Leave a comment:

• Re-Birth
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Don't see motorcycles at your crap hole post.... :P
    The Fort Hood Police Facebook page has some pictures up of the Motorcycles. I tried to post it on here but it wouldn't recognize the url so I had to post the links

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...332803&theater

Last edited by Re-Birth; 03-19-2011, 04:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by DACP View Post
    you suck, No seriously you do
    Don't see motorcycles at your crap hole post.... :P

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    replied
    They've had (2) 1811 jobs pop up on USAJOBs and I got my resume pulled for the postions. Both were GS-13/14 gigs..... We shall see. They may have someone in mind. I would assume you guys would do the minor stuff and refer everything to their 1811s unless it hits CID level and they take over.... Who knows........

I'm in the running for Assistant DES at Hood. I'd love to have that job. They are getting a crap ton of money from somewhere... Hell, they have BMW Motorcycles for patrol and using both MPs and DAP for that unit..!
    you suck, No seriously you do

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Would that one put you at RIA?
    Yes....

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    and the other falls under U.S. Army Sustainment Command.... .

Would that one put you at RIA?

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by Re-Birth View Post
    Yeah I heard, I have a few co-workers who migrated up north from Killeen. Personally, I dont know why they left.
    After looking at what they have.....One would be a fool to leave there if they were wanting to stay a DAP......

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5616 users online. 355 members and 5261 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X