300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer of Enlisted

So I've decided to head back into the military, however in the National Guard. I did my time in active and I miss it, but not enough to walk away from Police. I have two options. I can upright re-enlist in the National Guard OR hop into the ROTC at a local college I plan on attending next Fall.

I did some research and it seems I can enlist in the NG through the ROTC office and will only required to serve 8 years.

What would you do?

EDIT: I'm retarded, it's OR* enlisted....
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Officer....hands down. Better pay, better benefits, better retirement and you get to be involved in the decision making process.

What MOS you looking at?

Comment

AFOSI Has a reserve IMA Program...

Just sayin.

M-11
      “All men dream...... But not equally..
      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
        AFOSI Has a reserve IMA Program...

Just sayin.

M-11
        What do they do in the reserves for one weekend a month and two weeks a year? Just curious. Heck, I'd go to OTS and join it if I could, lol. It seems like a good agency.

Comment

It ends up being a lot more than that. They activate for a number of reasons like deployments, backfilling deployed personnel, large incidents Etc...

M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Since you were in the Army before, what about a reserve CID unit?
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by statebear View Post
              Officer....hands down. Better pay, better benefits, better retirement and you get to be involved in the decision making process.
              I agree with statebear.....I did ROTC back in '05-'06. If you have any questions about ROTC or being an Officer in the Military send me a PM.
              "Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs."

Comment

Meh...I like being enlisted. As a sergeant in the Department, I like being able to go to drill weekends and just being a grunt. I thought about OCS, but our ARNG is nothing like regular Army. Our field grade officers don't lead from the front (with just one exception). They all "attend meetings" all day, and we NEVER see them outside of final formation, if then. They have a tough job, but (at my level) we just have no idea what it is.....not that I need to know, I prefer NOT knowing actually!!
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Smurfette
                Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                Originally posted by DAL
                You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
                  Meh...I like being enlisted. As a sergeant in the Department, I like being able to go to drill weekends and just being a grunt. I thought about OCS, but our ARNG is nothing like regular Army. Our field grade officers don't lead from the front (with just one exception). They all "attend meetings" all day, and we NEVER see them outside of final formation, if then. They have a tough job, but (at my level) we just have no idea what it is.....not that I need to know, I prefer NOT knowing actually!!
                  Its like that in every Unit (even active duty). The Field Grade Officers always have "meetings" to attend.

I like being a regular PO at my department and have no desire to move up in the ranks. I am an Officer in the Military and have enough "office" work to do....Don't need to deal with it in both jobs.
                  "Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs."

Comment

Originally posted by uSa4 View Post
                    Its like that in every Unit (even active duty). The Field Grade Officers always have "meetings" to attend.

I like being a regular PO at my department and have no desire to move up in the ranks. I am an Officer in the Military and have enough "office" work to do....Don't need to deal with it in both jobs.
                    When I was at the academy there was an army reserve master sergeant across the hall from me, and it seemed like every time we were out of class he was on the phone with some colonel somewhere. He was often quiet with the phone up to his ear so I'm guessing he did a lot of tele-conferences with several others involved.

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                      It ends up being a lot more than that. They activate for a number of reasons like deployments, backfilling deployed personnel, large incidents Etc...

M-11
                      Still doesn't sound too bad.

Comment

Officer hands down!

And in any department any former officer is immediately looked at as "management" material. Remember, retirement pay is based upon your highest rank...not how much fun you had :-)

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGo View Post
                          Officer hands down!

And in any department any former officer is immediately looked at as "management" material. Remember, retirement pay is based upon your highest rank...not how much fun you had :-)

Not all retirement systems are the same. In my department some of the PO's retire making more than Lieutenants, Captains, Chiefs, etc.....

Comment

For the AFOSI job, would I need prior military LE experience?

If I went straight enlisted, I would just go infantry or cav scout, not looking for anything fancy or important.
                            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by JTShooter View Post
                              For the AFOSI job, would I need prior military LE experience?

If I went straight enlisted, I would just go infantry or cav scout, not looking for anything fancy or important.
                              If you did the OSI route, you would have to do it as enlisted because AFROTC only commissions officers for active duty.
                              "The deepest human defeat suffered by human beings is constituted by the difference between what one was capable of becoming and what one has in fact become."

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8166 users online. 461 members and 7705 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X