300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smk99 View Post
    While I agree that no one should work without a vest, there is an issue of liability. When you have worked for the Federal Government as long as I have, you come to find that if you wear something that was not issued or approved and are injured, you would be far better off not having worn said item.

The DON fellas here are rightfully concerned that if they were to purchase a vest on their own and god forbid engage in a firefight, any liability would be placed on them as a result. While this might sound extreme I would caution that you must understand the Department of Labor and its refusal to admit that another Federal agency could ever make a mistake.
    That's truly a sad state of affairs......

What liability would they incur?

The fact that they survived the firefight if they are indeed shot......

Comment

Originally posted by smk99 View Post
      While I agree that no one should work without a vest, there is an issue of liability. When you have worked for the Federal Government as long as I have, you come to find that if you wear something that was not issued or approved and are injured, you would be far better off not having worn said item.

The DON fellas here are rightfully concerned that if they were to purchase a vest on their own and god forbid engage in a firefight, any liability would be placed on them as a result. While this might sound extreme I would caution that you must understand the Department of Labor and its refusal to admit that another Federal agency could ever make a mistake.
      Unfortunately this is so very true.
      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by statebear View Post
        That's truly a sad state of affairs......

What liability would they incur?

The fact that they survived the firefight if they are indeed shot......
        I would have to agree. Here's my thought, however. . .

If you are issued a vest, wear what's issued. I have been issued one by my company, the manufacture date is 06/2001. I have been tempted to purchase my own vest, but the liability being dumped on me is definitely not something I could handle. If the Army told me that because I was wearing a non-issued, unauthorized vest, and I got shot, that they wouldn't pay the medical bills associated, I would lose it. I'm probably going to purchase my own vest, because I think the ones we have are only Level II, and they are definitely "broken in". That, and the fact that, as mentioned above, it could mean the difference between an overnight hospital stay and weeks of recovery. . . Or worse. I'd rather be safe than sorry (or dead).

If your unit does not issue you a vest, get one of your own ASAP! It's better to be given an Article 15 for using unauthorized equipment (or some other BS punitive action) than have your family crying over your casket. I'd rather give my mother a framed copy of my first Article 15 than have a complete stranger give her a neatly folded American flag. If I'm going to die doing this job, it's going to be defending my country on the battlefield, not trying to stop an armed robber on a base in the states.

Don't let your leadership set you up for failure. They are obligated to provide you with the tools you need to successfully perform your job. They give you everything else you need, don't let them short-change you. If they don't issue vests, go through your chain of command and *tactfully* recommend that they look into it. It shouldn't be hard to convince them to do it, especially considering what happened at Fort Hood.

Stay safe out there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3512 users online. 237 members and 3275 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X