Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vests are worn here(Ft. Bliss) for every shift too. On mine the elastic is worn out to the point of me having to get "creative" with the straps to get it to fit correctly. It's itchy, it's hot, it always rides up and peeks out of the top of my ACU's, but I would never consider not wearing it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
      BUY YOUR OWN. It is a small price to pay, and it is TAX DEDUCTIBLE.

Cant afford it, do some ot, get a loan from a family member, ask someone to buy it for X-mas, Birthday, whatever.

Think about the pain and suffering it could save you later.

If you get shot in the vest you're looking at a day in the hospital, maybe.

If you get shot, and you're not wearing a vest, you could be in the hospital for days, or weeks, or worse.

good luck
      Just for clarification my current department does provide us with vests and I do wear my issued vest anytime I'm in uniform.
      I was just refering to the military folks. When I was in the military, Ft. Hood (mid 90's) was the only base I've served at that had vests for MPs. They didn't always have vests and only got them after one MP got shot on the night shift. That happened a year or two before I got there.
      When we checked out our pistols they gave us a community vest. You wanted to get there early and prayed for a vest that had time to air dry from it's last wearer.

Comment

We are issued them and are mandatory to wear, Get caught without it standby
        "I have consent to post in the squad bay"

Comment

Not true! Ft. Lewis, Wa. issued them to us in the early 80s. They were even replacing them when wear out dates took effect on the issued ones. I was involved in a shooting incident in October of 1983 at the old Madigan Club. Shortly after the incident is when they began purchasing the first vests to patrols, K-9 and traffic sections.

Comment

Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
            I always wear mine but I work with a few officers that don't.
            Ditto. It doesn't really bother me... It's their ***, their choice. If the SHTF, my vest may not protect me. Then again, it just might. I've worn it so much, that it no longer bothers me. It's mildly uncomfortable at times, and getting an itch underneath it really sucks, and it's hot as hell in the summer, but for all the so-called cons, I'd much rather wear it than not.
            Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

Man, we are spoiled just got new vests cause the old ones "were not comfortable" gotta love the AF and it's spoiledness

Comment

I wear my vest, every day I am at work, Except for blues Mon that blows. But I wear it constantly and have had to replace the carrier a couple of times.
                Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

Originally posted by smk99 View Post
                  I can name you many an military department that does not issue, or require the wearing of ballistic vests by its members. I recall this being a large issue with the CNRMA and CNRSW officers in the IBPO contract negotiations. The position of the Navy management was "We will let you know when you need a vest, what level (they only wanted to issue level II vests) and when they need to be replaced."

Needless to say I was shocked to hear that from any manager in a police department.

That's because it's not a Police Dept. Navy officials have gone to to great lengths to ensure that it remains nothing more than a 2nd rate security operation.

Comment

Originally posted by elko View Post
                    That's because it's not a Police Dept. Navy officials have gone to to great lengths to ensure that it remains nothing more than a 2nd rate security operation.
                    No argument there mate, as myself and rube would attest to. Its a real shame what the folks in CNIC and CNRMA have allowed the DON police in Hampton Roads become.

I hate thinking bad thoughts, but I know a day will come when some DON will have to pay in blood for all the mismanagement that the Navy allows.

Comment

No argument there mate, as myself and rube would attest to. Its a real shame what the folks in CNIC and CNRMA have allowed the DON police in Hampton Roads become.

I hate thinking bad thoughts, but I know a day will come when some DON will have to pay in blood for all the mismanagement that the Navy allows.
                      A big lawsuit once someone is shot will remind them when they have to pay!
                      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

For you guys who aren’t issued a vest by your Fed Depts. and don't want to or can't spend the dough to buy one for yourself, check with your local State, County or City Depts. My agency buys us new vest every 5 years, just got a new one a few weeks ago. My agency does not want or require us to turn in our old ones. I ended up giving mine to my 11 year old son. He wears it around the house along with his toy police gear....

You may have agencies in your area were LEOs are allowed to keep their old vests. I would have gladly given my old vest to a fellow LEO. Like others have said, an old vest is better then none……

No LEO should have to work without a vest!

Comment

The city police turned in their "expired" vests to the local EMA Office. They have allowed the Reserve Deputies (and anyone else in law enforcement) that wants to use them to sign for them, along with a statement acknowledging that yes, we are aware that the vests are "expired."
                          Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by statebear View Post
                            For you guys who aren’t issued a vest by your Fed Depts. and don't want to or can't spend the dough to buy one for yourself, check with your local State, County or City Depts. My agency buys us new vest every 5 years, just got a new one a few weeks ago. My agency does not want or require us to turn in our old ones. I ended up giving mine to my 11 year old son. He wears it around the house along with his toy police gear....

You may have agencies in your area were LEOs are allowed to keep their old vests. I would have gladly given my old vest to a fellow LEO. Like others have said, an old vest is better then none……

No LEO should have to work without a vest!
                            While I agree that no one should work without a vest, there is an issue of liability. When you have worked for the Federal Government as long as I have, you come to find that if you wear something that was not issued or approved and are injured, you would be far better off not having worn said item.

The DON fellas here are rightfully concerned that if they were to purchase a vest on their own and god forbid engage in a firefight, any liability would be placed on them as a result. While this might sound extreme I would caution that you must understand the Department of Labor and its refusal to admit that another Federal agency could ever make a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                              A big lawsuit once someone is shot will remind them when they have to pay!
                              Take a tour though the FLRA and MSRB and other records and you will see that CNRMA is always paying for mistakes, yet they never learn. When I was helping the DON union last year they lost two cases alone that added to some big bucks for the folks involved.

The mismanagement at CNRMA makes the small issues I have with my agency look like rain drops on the Atlantic.

Comment

Take a tour though the FLRA and MSRB and other records and you will see that CNRMA is always paying for mistakes, yet they never learn. When I was helping the DON union last year they lost two cases alone that added to some big bucks for the folks involved.

The mismanagement at CNRMA makes the small issues I have with my agency look like rain drops on the Atlantic.
                                I believe it. I have heard from the folks in Philly how bad they have become.
                                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3843 users online. 260 members and 3583 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X