Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USAF Security Police Question

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • USAF Security Police Question

    One of my side duties is recruiting, and I routinely attend Transition Assistance Program (TAP) at a local air force base (yea, I know, dang zoomies!!). The past few sessions I have had a lot of interesting conversations with Security Forces guys getting out and retiring. A LOT of them are very disappointed that their role in law enforcement has been taken away, and they are being phased into the Air Infantry (I may have the terms wrong)??

    Any comments?

  • #2
    Its been going that way since 1997-1998 when the careerfield was merged. Air base ground defense/ground combat skills is a major part of the careerfield. I was in one of the last seperate LE flights at Lackland. With the army begin short, SP's are being tasked with doing jobs that were handled by soliders.

    Lots of senior LE troops got out when the career field was merged. I see its happening again putting a strain on senior NCO leadership within the careerfield.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

    Comment


    • #3
      That is the problem we as DAF police are running into. Alot of SF guys are trying to slow the transition because they do not want to deploy. Well, some anyway. But we are getting the 'you're taking our jobs' mantra, lock stock and barrel.
      Last edited by YankeeWhite; 10-31-2009, 03:53 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        And to think I was talking to THE top cop in 96 and was told the combat side of the job was going by the way side. I got out because of the lack of police mentality AND the lack of warrior mentality. That made us bad at both jobs. Hopefully it has gotten better since I left in 02.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

        For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

        Comment


        • #5
          I got out in 1998 and was serving during the "dreaded" career field merger. IMO, it was the worst thing that happened to the Security Police career field. I was an LE airman and after the merger found myself on the flight line staring at C-141s and KC-135s for 12 hours a day and deployed to Kuwait with the supposed high-speed "elite" 820th SFS. Yep, I did some high speed stuff, lets see.....stood towers, static posts and ECPs for 14 hours a day in 140 degree heat, 3 on 1 off and the 1 off was spent doing base details. Total joke ....

          The days of military LE are long gone, in all the services. Army, AF, Marines and Navy are all Security and Force Protection oriented now. The days of a young man/women joining up and getting some LE experience are gone.

          I feel for these young folks who are currently enlisting and thinking they are going be in patrol cars doing police work. They are going to be in for a rude awakening...

          Comment


          • #6
            It's interesting that they even removed the word "police" from their title e.g. they changed from Security Police to Security Forces. Does their badge still say police on it or does it say Security Forces?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by statebear View Post
              I got out in 1998 and was serving during the "dreaded" career field merger. IMO, it was the worst thing that happened to the Security Police career field. I was an LE airman and after the merger found myself on the flight line staring at C-141s and KC-135s for 12 hours a day and deployed to Kuwait with the supposed high-speed "elite" 820th SFS. Yep, I did some high speed stuff, lets see.....stood towers, static posts and ECPs for 14 hours a day in 140 degree heat, 3 on 1 off and the 1 off was spent doing base details. Total joke ....
              I'm not sure, but I don't think you should be discussing classified stuff on the Internet like that.
              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by me_again View Post
                It's interesting that they even removed the word "police" from their title e.g. they changed from Security Police to Security Forces. Does their badge still say police on it or does it say Security Forces?
                I asked that of somebody who commented on a t-shirt I was wearing with a big SP shield on it. He said the shields still say "Security Police." That was as of late '06, anyway.
                --
                Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

                Comment


                • #9
                  the cars say security forces but the actual shield/emblems say security police. I'
                  ll try to find some pix for ya when I go in next

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by me_again View Post
                    It's interesting that they even removed the word "police" from their title e.g. they changed from Security Police to Security Forces. Does their badge still say police on it or does it say Security Forces?
                    They still say police. The AF purchuased quite a few badges in the 70's and early 80's (Id say about 20,000) and all have a badge number which is nothing more than a control and batch number. Mine was N6056.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by statebear View Post

                      I feel for these young folks who are currently enlisting and thinking they are going be in patrol cars doing police work. They are going to be in for a rude awakening...
                      Depends on the post.....Out here, we have a good mix of both Military and Civilian working the road...... Only section that is totally Military is the K-9 section....

                      I am sure that will change but they want to keep the mix about the way it is now....

                      So, if you come out here.....you might get to work the road some.... But, when you have a Battalon of MPs to chose from....the pickings start to get slim to do it all the time......

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DACP View Post
                        I'm not sure, but I don't think you should be discussing classified stuff on the Internet like that.
                        Dang....my bad. How about the fact that the base details included, "cleaning the latrine tents." I bet Saddam could have used that little piece of Intel back then....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                          So, if you come out here.....you might get to work the road some.... But, when you have a Battalon of MPs to chose from....the pickings start to get slim to do it all the time......
                          Thats the kicker right there.....

                          Besides, am I safe to assume that those slots get taken up by E-4 and above? Leaving the newly minted MP to go the field and depoly....

                          There will always be a "chance" you could do some road patrol as an MP/SF/MA I guess, but it will never be like it once was.....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by YankeeWhite View Post
                            That is the problem we as DAF police are running into. Alot of SF guys are trying to slow the transition because they do not want to deploy. Well, some anyway. But we are getting the 'you're taking our jobs' mantra, lock stock and barrel.
                            How is that working out at Tinker, are you guys riding solo, or do you have to pair up with an SF guy?
                            Or do they pair up with you?
                            Do you have joint guardmount?
                            I remmember back in the day Tinker had Navy MAs also. What happened to them?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by statebear View Post
                              Besides, am I safe to assume that those slots get taken up by E-4 and above?
                              Lots of E-3/E-4/E-5s...... Not a lot of NCOS (except for Duty Officer at night)....

                              Originally posted by statebear View Post
                              Leaving the newly minted MP to go the field and depoly....
                              Everyone around here MP wise deploys...

                              Originally posted by statebear View Post
                              but it will never be like it once was.....
                              No...it won't.... As stated, some places will be getting more DOA Police Officers....some will be getting less and more military......and some won't change. Just depends on the mission of the base......

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3019 users online. 133 members and 2886 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X