300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What takes you back?

This morning I was out on the range when the wind shifted and blew the gunsmoke from 35 students M-4's into my face. The smell triggered such vivid memories of every time I have smelled cordite in the last 15 years that I felt like I was watching a film reel of my military career.

What makes you remember those times?

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

The smell of jet fuel (JP-5, etc) always brings me back to my flying days. That and oil and grease almost like a mechanic's garage but a bit different. the smell of some large machinery usually makes me think back to the engine room of Navy ships. I was checking the phone company on an alarm run and as soon as I stepped inside the smell made me feel like I was down in the decks of a Navy ship.

Comment

Walking around the MP Station at Schofiled Barracks today as I did a eval of the Garrison LE......

So much the same....but so much is different.....

Comment

same deal on the firearms range...

any sort of "explosion" out of the ordinary

when we speak of the more "gruesome" side of this line of work...
        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

oh, and the building we conducted active shooter in reminded me of a building I had a similar experience with...
          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Probably the most vivid memories came a month or so ago during our annual AR-15 requals. Having been in the Air Force and always having fighters at the bases I've been deployed at, the few times we've had them in the area it always brings back memories.
            sigpic

Comment

I had a female that I dated contact me on facebook recently. We haven't spoke to eachother since 1998. We exchanged about 20 emails and eventually I called her and we spent 3 hours on the phone that first night. We talked about all kinds of stuff and I actually missed her. We laughed our ***es off telling stupid deployment stories about people we knew.

I saw a liveleak video of a bunch of jackasses over in Afghanistan and it made me laugh and think about a lot of stuff from the past. I forgot how fun it really was to be deployed. I forgot how close you get to your squad and how well we knew eachother. I forgot how goofy we could get.

Comment

Before going in the Army I was active Marine Infantry and started in a AAV company. When I am behind a diesel truck that exaust reminds me of sitting in the back of an Amtrack with the "air" on burning my eyes with Diesel exaust. It reminds me of long treks in the back (longest was 12hrs on water, we got lost) dark, cramped but comfortable enough to sleep on the buttstock of your weapon as you rock back and forth with the swells of the sea. Hooorah!!
                Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

For me, it's sometimes a smell, like diesel, or the smell of CLP or something like that.

In all honesty, just seeing one of these young soldiers reminds me of those days. Especially when I see a 3ID or 101ABN patch. I still have the last set of BDU's I wore while out processing, pressed and starched, along w/ my last pair of Corchoran jump boots, still holding a shine, hanging in my closet.

Comment

Originally posted by janego10 View Post
                    The smell of jet fuel (JP-5, etc) always brings me back to my flying days. That and oil and grease almost like a mechanic's garage but a bit different. the smell of some large machinery usually makes me think back to the engine room of Navy ships. I was checking the phone company on an alarm run and as soon as I stepped inside the smell made me feel like I was down in the decks of a Navy ship.

+1. And, believe it or not, the weather. Cold days with a low fog layer and smell of wood burning stoves reminds me of Korea and Kosovo. Heat and dirt, Iraq. I work right next to Ft. Hood and the helicopters remind me of my FE days. Not so much anymore though. But like certain temps and wind conditions will remind me of a lot as well. We had range quals this week and sitting in the desert on the bleachers and night fire took me back to basic.
                    Originally posted by crass cop
                    Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

The smell of Simple Green (cleaning solution).

Gun oil

Diesel exhaust.
                      Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

diesel fuel

clp

urine

cordite/gunpowder

a ripe fart

smell of burning plastic/rubber

instant coffee (you know that smell)
                        In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

Comment

CLP, RBC, instant coffee, orwhenever I get into my ACUs and go to drill/AT.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Smurfette
                          Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                          Originally posted by DAL
                          You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
                            diesel fuel

clp

urine

cordite/gunpowder

a ripe fart
                            smell of burning plastic/rubber

instant coffee (you know that smell)

LOL, aint that the truth.
                            Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                              For me, it's sometimes a smell, like diesel, or the smell of CLP or something like that.

In all honesty, just seeing one of these young soldiers reminds me of those days. Especially when I see a 3ID or 101ABN patch. I still have the last set of BDU's I wore while out processing, pressed and starched, along w/ my last pair of Corchoran jump boots, still holding a shine, hanging in my closet.
                              Air Assault....................................

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4456 users online. 291 members and 4165 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X