300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The deal on Coast Guard recruiting

Just thought I'd post this since I am shipping out to Coast Guard basic training in three days, after waiting almost 4 months, and there have been a few threads on the topic.

The Coast Guard is currently backed up into Spring 2010-Fall 2010 in terms of shipping people to basic training. The AFQT minimum is 75 I believe. They will NOT come to your door and pick you up just to talk. In fact, I am not getting a ride even to MEPS to swear in or ship, whereas the Army is seemingly holding your hand through the whole process. Most recruiters are swamped with people and some offices deal with multiple states!! So if you really want the Coast Guard be patient and be assertive but do not wait for them to come to you. Additionally, through talking, hearing, and seeing my recruiter, it is quite common to not get an answer when you call or email them, and most offices lock their doors and require appointments.

Good luck, and it is totally worth the wait if your heart is into the Coast Guard.

It took me six months from the day I took my ASVAB to the day I shipped out. The hardest part isn't over yet, but as long as you keep up your way of thinking, and your heart is really in it, then I think you will do fine.

A few words someone once told me before I left, pay attention, keep your mouth shut, and do what you're told. Best advice I ever received. Pay attention to the small details. Oh, and just because you think you know someones name, if you're unsure, sir/ma'am always works. There were two female chiefs, both blonde, both had similar names, but instead of playing it safe and calling her chief, I tried addressing her by her rank and name...and I got her name wrong. Big mistake . Did you get a copy of the Helmsman? Study it, inside and out, especially your general orders. Good luck at Cape May.
    Last edited by Arewethereyet; 10-19-2009, 02:38 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
      It took me six months from the day I took my ASVAB to the day I shipped out. The hardest part isn't over yet, but as long as you keep up your way of thinking, and your heart is really in it, then I think you will do fine.

A few words someone once told me before I left, pay attention, keep your mouth shut, and do what you're told. Best advice I ever received. Pay attention to the small details. Oh, and just because you think you know someones name, if you're unsure, sir/ma'am always works. There were two female chiefs, both blonde, both had similar names, but instead of playing it safe and calling her chief, I tried addressing her by her rank and name...and I got her name wrong. Big mistake . Did you get a copy of the Helmsman? Study it, inside and out, especially your general orders. Good luck at Cape May.
      +1 on this and good advice. Memorizing those general orders will do you a world of good. I waited six months to get in myself and that was 5 years ago. They had a waiting list to ship off to cape may back then as well. Also when you get that dream sheet, just put down a cutter. Others may disagree, but I feel like when you just get out of boot camp as an E-2/E-3 its a great experience and you get to travel a lot no matter where your home port is. When I got my dream sheet I didn't even know the coast guard had large cutters, only small patrol boats so it was a HUGE a wake up call when I was assigned to a 270, but it was an awesome experience. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Dean27 View Post
        +1 on this and good advice. Memorizing those general orders will do you a world of good. I waited six months to get in myself and that was 5 years ago. They had a waiting list to ship off to cape may back then as well. Also when you get that dream sheet, just put down a cutter. Others may disagree, but I feel like when you just get out of boot camp as an E-2/E-3 its a great experience and you get to travel a lot no matter where your home port is. When I got my dream sheet I didn't even know the coast guard had large cutters, only small patrol boats so it was a HUGE a wake up call when I was assigned to a 270, but it was an awesome experience. Good luck!
        I know it's too late for our buddy who just shipped out, but I actually heard that if you want a cutter, you put all stations/sectors/etc. If you want a station/sector/etc, you list all cutters. Don't know how much truth there is to this, but it seemed true for a lot of people in my company when they found out where they were going to be stationed!

Comment

Do you guys know if the CG Reserve allows you to miss a few months of training and then you can make up the weekends you missed at a later time? I'm asking based on the fact that if i went through a police academy, i probably wouldnt be able to train on some weekends?

Comment

Maybe a little off topic, but as of about 10 years ago much of the Coast Gaurd here along the east coast needed a lesson on proffessional courtesy. I say this not to be imflamatory but maybe so they show a little respect to LEO's when they're out on their boats and not bothering anyone. We tried to tell them that it has to work both ways. I hope they're on board a little better these days, but man some of them had some attitude on more than a few occassions. The word went out and I think they might of learned a little about respect towards other offocers since then. I had a few occasions to run into them when the shoe was on the other foot and I was able to give a nice friendly warning and make my point without hammering anyone. I hope they caught on. BTW none of this involved anything serious like DWI, just minor stuff that is most often rectified with a friendly "have a nice day" proffesional coutesy warning. I hope I didn't reopen a big can of worms on this issue because I know that it's a big one, but it was never a big deal with me. When the ID came out (short of big stuff) it was (have a nice day!!) and that was the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Rage15 View Post
              Do you guys know if the CG Reserve allows you to miss a few months of training and then you can make up the weekends you missed at a later time? I'm asking based on the fact that if i went through a police academy, i probably wouldnt be able to train on some weekends?
              Yes, you are allowed I believe 60 IDT drills per fiscal year (in order to get a good year, 3 good consecutive years for good conduct medal). We have had many people in my unit not show up because they're in the academy and they don't want to get hurt during drill weekend. Some people do show up because they don't care. You need to route the request up the chain of command (team lead, squad lead, div officer, etc). Just remember they might say no.

Comment

Your command shouldn't have an issue with it. I'm in the exact same situation now. I'm attending a reserve police academy which convenes on the weekends and last's for 8 months so I am not showing for 8 months to reserve duty and my command was fine with it.

Comment

Alright that makes me feel better about it. Thank you very much guys.

Comment

48 IDT drills unless assigned to a PSU.
                    You can make up drills IF your Command allows it. We had members who went into the academy and they got written up for failing to drill (they do get weekends off). Harsh? Maybe, but it effected the entire unit by not having those members ready for deployment.

Just be aware. Good luck.
                    Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by coach1299 View Post
                      Maybe a little off topic, but as of about 10 years ago much of the Coast Gaurd here along the east coast needed a lesson on proffessional courtesy. I say this not to be imflamatory but maybe so they show a little respect to LEO's when they're out on their boats and not bothering anyone. We tried to tell them that it has to work both ways. I hope they're on board a little better these days, but man some of them had some attitude on more than a few occassions. The word went out and I think they might of learned a little about respect towards other offocers since then. I had a few occasions to run into them when the shoe was on the other foot and I was able to give a nice friendly warning and make my point without hammering anyone. I hope they caught on. BTW none of this involved anything serious like DWI, just minor stuff that is most often rectified with a friendly "have a nice day" proffesional coutesy warning. I hope I didn't reopen a big can of worms on this issue because I know that it's a big one, but it was never a big deal with me. When the ID came out (short of big stuff) it was (have a nice day!!) and that was the end.
                      Sorry to hear that. We have a VERY small Coast Guard station locally and have a very good working relationship with them. Our marine units do a lot of work with them during the holidays and we routinely respond to their base to assist with BUI's when FWC isn't available.
                      sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4478 users online. 312 members and 4166 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X