Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSPS is dead

Defense Authorization Bill Repeals NSPS
    Federal employees and their unions should remember Oct. 7, 2009: It's the day they got to cross several items off their wish list.
    The conference committee working on a compromise version of the Defense authorization bill (pdf) delivered several long-sought reforms impacting current and former federal employees, their salaries and the way the government measures their performance.
    The big one: a repeal the controversial National Security Performance System, the Bush-era pay-for-performance program approved by Congress in 2003.
    The Department of Defense would maintain more performance management and hiring flexibility than other agencies, but must end NSPS by Jan. 1, 2012. It cannot enact a new pay-for-performance system without submitting detailed proposals to Congress for approval.
    Roughly 30 percent of the Defense Department’s civilian employees are part of NSPS, according to the Pentagon. Of those, only 749 employees are members of federal workers unions. But employees, federal unions, outside experts and lawmakers of both parties have long agreed that the program is ineffective, confusing and detrimental to employee morale.
    “It’s a big day for us,” said John Gage, president of the American Federation of Government Employees. He thanked lawmakers for repealing what he called “a terrible idea.”
    “It was just bad for employees and bad for the country. It wasn’t a motivator for federal employees. it wasn’t fair or open. It was a gimmick,” Gage said.
    Lawmakers “could have punted on this issue,” said William R. Dougan, president of the National Federation of Federal Employee. Instead, “The committee took bold action, and I believe it was the right thing to do.”
    “The system didn’t work,” said Rep. Stephen F. Lynch (D-Mass.), one of the lead House negotiators advocating for repeal. The new arrangement will ensure Congress maintains a voice in how the Defense Department measures employee performance, he said.
    The compromise announced Wednesday includes several other important changes for current and retired federal employees. Members of the Civil Service Retirement System will be able to phase down to part-time status towards the end of their career without jeopardizing their pensions. In a big change for members of the Federal Employee Retirement System, workers will be able to have sick leave credited to them when they retire. That provision will be phased in over the next four years to alleviate the cost to the government. FERS members returning to government work will also have the option of repaying their prior contributions with interest to the civil service trust fund, putting them on par with members of CSRS. Agencies will also be able to hire back federal retirees under certain conditions and these annuitants will be able to receive a new salary while keeping their pension.
    “Altogether these improvements will bolster the morale of current employees and strengthen the federal government’s ability to attract and retain the high-quality workforce required to meet our national challenges,” Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said in a statement.
    Rep. James Moran (D-Va.), who has long advocated for changes to FERS, agreed.
    “This is probably the biggest issues that we’ve gotten through in the last few years. We really weren’t able to get anything for federal employees in the last eight years. This is the first major achievement for federal employees since 2000,” Moran said.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Oh sure....Now that I dont work as a YN1 anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
      We really weren’t able to get anything for federal employees in the last eight years. This is the first major achievement for federal employees since 2000,” Moran said.
      And this pains me the most....as he is correct...

I know what Rummy and Company were trying but it was jacked up from the get-go and they refused to do anything about it.

I wonder if DHS will go away from Pay-Banding or not....?

Comment

Are you talking about MAX HR Bear?
        And now that we are done with one ****ing, the next will commence as no one quite knows how to convert NSPS back to GS, some of the positions that were converted, are almost 2-3 grades above the graded position they were converted from......can we all say save pay.

What impresses me the most was John Gage was sober long enough to make a decent statement.
        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
          Are you talking about MAX HR Bear?
          MAX HR....?

And now that we are done with one ****ing, the next will commence as no one quite knows how to convert NSPS back to GS, some of the positions that were converted, are almost 2-3 grades above the graded position they were converted from......can we all say save pay.
          At least out here, our bosses have already told us that we will be going back to what the GS slot was prior to swap over and no one will lose money.... So, we shall see......

Bye-bye YA-2.....Hello GS-13/14....

Comment

So does this mean that those of us who are YM-01 (0083s) will become GS scale employees????

Comment

Max HR was what TSA and some other DHS employees fell under, it was about the same as NSPS.

But they need to hold off just a bit longer, my position is getting re graded as 6/7 and we are about to open a lead at 7/8 and I want to get my 8 in before all the supervisors start getting placed back into GS.

Bear you would fall under save pay, you would not loose any money, but your don't relay make any more either. Under save pay, you only get 1/2 of the annual cost of living increase. I have heard rumblings that due to the vast difference in NSPS and some of the GS levels, that and amendment to save pay is going to be made to help protect NSPS from getting screwed. But then again you is one of them there big shots that knows all that stuff.
              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeWhite View Post
                So does this mean that those of us who are YM-01 (0083s) will become GS scale employees????
                You should....but Lord only knows when that will happen......

Comment

Bear you would fall under save pay, you would not loose any money, but your don't relay make any more either. Under save pay, you only get 1/2 of the annual cost of living increase. I have heard rumblings that due to the vast difference in NSPS and some of the GS levels, that and amendment to save pay is going to be made to help protect NSPS from getting screwed. But then again you is one of them there big shots that knows all that stuff.
                  They don't tell me nothing..... I am just a pawn in the IMCOM Game of Life...

I do go back to DC in two weeks.....so I am sure that will be the big talk of the place....

I just know that instead of some crappy raise....I will make 14now........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6265 users online. 372 members and 5893 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X