300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Customs and reserves?! Help!

I am currently in the Army reserves. Its a long story, but I've been in the hiring process for CBP for almost two years. I recently checked my status, and found out that I have been referred to the scheduling unit to attend the CBP academy. I spoke to my platoon leader and he said that he was going to speak to the chain of command and do everything to help me out. I am in an MP unit, so I would think that they will help me. What do you guys think? I've asked around, and was told that that I could do make up drills when I came back from the academy. Help?!

Originally posted by Bebo View Post
    I am currently in the Army reserves. Its a long story, but I've been in the hiring process for CBP for almost two years. I recently checked my status, and found out that I have been referred to the scheduling unit to attend the CBP academy. I spoke to my platoon leader and he said that he was going to speak to the chain of command and do everything to help me out. I am in an MP unit, so I would think that they will help me. What do you guys think? I've asked around, and was told that that I could do make up drills when I came back from the academy. Help?!
    Well, first, I hope you wonder over to the CBPO thread that is thousands of posts long. There are a few CBPO's over there sharing knowledge and it's a good place to ask questions.

You have a few choices in this matter.

You can do drill make ups. The drill year actually runs Oct 1 until Aug 20th or so, so unless your unit is just mean, you can go in and make up the 4 or 5 drills before or after the academy. Or you can just chalk up the year as a loss and miss the drills and not get a good year, but that sucks. Remember, you only need what, like 35 points for a good year, you get 15 for just being in the guard so you can figure it out.

Or you can move into IRR for 6 months while you get to your duty station and hit FLETC. I've been in for a long time but I still have no idea what that is like.

Now I'll say this, I was in the Active Army and Army NG and they are way way less flexible when it comes to allowing troops time off for real jobs and the like. But I just don't know what your unit is like. My buddy is a Marine reservist and had no problem. I'm Air NG and I don't even think they realized I was gone.

The problem is that leadership is usually AGR or are Technicians and have no little idea what it's like to have a separate job and mil commitment. It helps to explain that to them if they don't know.

So yeah, I don't know if there is anything else you can do really. Hopefully your CoC is supportive and will do what it takes to get you squared away.

Good luck

Comment

Time Off

First congrats on the position, I am waiting on my sutibility crap to get straighted out myself so i would like to here what you went through.

As for your ? I am currently in Iraq MP K-9 in the Reserves never heard of right....lol. I raised my hand to get the gig now here i am. CBP did this new thing with the U.S. Army Reserves call the Initaitive Partership Program, where CBP and the Reserves works together to provide good personel to the Units/agency. So your good. If your CO gives you crap go up the chain as normal then countinue up. The Army Reserves cannot stop you from your duties in your civilian job if notification etc is given just like what you do with your current employers. Just explain how your knowlege etc gained at the Academy will benifit you,your unit along with the MP Corps. Got to use that lingo.....LOL..

Where are you located? I am out of South FL, hit me up with anything you need I'll find out from my unit in the states if you need any info.

U.S. Army Combat K-9 Tracking Team
      SGT Mark K
      K-9 York
      Last edited by MP-K-9; 09-24-2009, 03:24 AM. Reason: typo's.
      "whys the sky blue? because god loves the Infantry"

Comment

Thanks robeans and MP-K-9 for the quick responses. This is what I thought, but I wanted to see if anyone else had gone through something similar. My CBP process has been a roller-coaster ride! I tested back in Nov of 2007. I went along at a decent pace in the process until my BI started. I spoke with the investigator in July of 2008. Well I waited and waited too get any news, and nothing. Well after doing some research and getting help from some members of these forums, I was able to get a number for IA. I called to find out what was going on and they told me that they had sent me a letter in Nov and that I needed to reply to it! Well of course I never received it so I requested that they resend it. They did and I had to reply within a month. I was told that it would take a few months to hear anything back so I kind of forgot about it. I started school, and been doing the reserves thing so I had been pre-occupied. Well two days ago I checked my status on CASS and it was all completed!! Thank GOD!!!! Its been a long time!! Turns out I had been referred to TSU 9/8/2009!! Well I just got back from a urinalysis-test and will be waiting for "the call." Hopefully it happens soon. The only advice I can really give is to be patient, and drop a line to the proper department every once in a while to make sure your stuff is not on chronic hold. Good luck to you MP-K-9! Keep us posted on your status. Hooah!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4432 users online. 244 members and 4188 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X