300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force MP

I was looking into enlisted Air Force program to get more experience for a law enforcement career. I was curious if anyone had any info on what Air Force MPs do? Like actual patrol or is it just guarding gates, I know it's been discussed before but I didn't see anything AF specific.
    “The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.”

-Captain Patrick Etheridge, U.S Life Saving Service

Originally posted by OregonDirtbiker View Post
    I was looking into enlisted Air Force program to get more experience for a law enforcement career. I was curious if anyone had any info on what Air Force MPs do? Like actual patrol or is it just guarding gates, I know it's been discussed before but I didn't see anything AF specific.
    The air force does not have "MP's". They are called SP's or SF members. In regards to enlisting, it depends on whether you go active, reserve or national guard. Bases are different so one day you can be on the flightline guarding a B-52, on an alert team out in the missle fields, on a gate or on patrol on the base. When you get rank you can move into combat arms training and maitenance (CATM/firearms instructor), MWD (K-9), investigations etc. You will have to go to Iraq or Afghanistan. Also realize that SP's do what is known as Ground Combat Skills/Air Base Ground Defense as they are also the air force infantry.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Or your could get sent to an installation with civilian police already working the road, which means you'll be on the flightline or the gates.

By the way, there's lots of discussion here on AF security forces. Might want to parooze this section a bit.

Comment

Don't go into SF thinking you will get alot of LE experience, the academy is a joke, the tactics are from the 60's, and the bureaucracy is huge (do you really want someone miles away telling you how to handle YOUR traffic stop?). Then again I promise you if you can deal with the SF bs that goes around you can deal with any type of BS!

Comment

The 3 responses thus far have covered everything I was going to say, and more!

Comment

Depends on where you go. Some bases you will still be working the gates, flight line and LE, others working straight missile fields. The AF is hiring people for the civilian police positions however Security Forces will not lose the Law Enforcement mission. It has already come down that we will keep it in its entirety or it will be a joint effort. Starting off count on alot of gate or ramp time depending on where you go. Alot of the academy has now been geared towards deployment ops and base defense and do not spend alot of time on the LE aspect. That training basically comes from your unit. And what base your at will typically define what experience you get.
            Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

You won't be doing much LE work (traffic stops etc..) until you get rank, that's just reality of being in the military. Be prepared to spend much of your 1st or even 2nd enlistment staring at either a plane, building or standing "watch" for 12 hours a day or as others have said, doing the same in Iraq or Afgh....

If you want to get experience for a civilian LE career, best way is to go civilian to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonDirtbiker View Post
                I was looking into enlisted Air Force program to get more experience for a law enforcement career. I was curious if anyone had any info on what Air Force MPs do? .
                Play golf?????

Comment

You will also have a chance to train Iraqi and Afghan police....I have been on a 365 day deployment to Baghdad and that was an experience most will never have. They are still actively recruiting for this and you can go if you want once you get to your first base.
                  "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

Comment

Originally posted by airforce81 View Post
                    You will also have a chance to train Iraqi and Afghan police....I have been on a 365 day deployment to Baghdad and that was an experience most will never have. They are still actively recruiting for this and you can go if you want once you get to your first base.
                    Can you give any more details

Comment

Originally posted by phillyrube View Post
                      Play golf?????
                      Easy Chief... Flyboys are the sensitive type.

Comment

Originally posted by smk99 View Post
                        Yeah. We need to do something with our free time. We cant be like MA's and watch pee-pee tests.
                        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by smk99 View Post
                          Don't be a hater, I think it's a requirement for EVERY AF base to have a golf course on it, lol.

As far as what you'll be doing, previous posts have nailed it on the head. A lot depends on the base you go to. My first base had a Weapon Storage Area with nukes and law enforcement and security were sperate career fields at the time. Thus, I worked nukes for 2 years until we got rid of them. I then did primarily law enforcement with a very small portion of security mixed in. My next base was a mix of a bunch of stuff. Based on my rank I was required to be certified as an entry controller to some of our Priority Resources, so I did a little of that combined with being a security supervisor which allowed me to also do law enforcement duties. My last 2 years there I had an office job working as Assistant NCOIC of the Armory. My next and last base had me assigned to a missle field base assigned to the missile squadron. All I did was work in the field with nukes, absolutely no law enforcement work.

So it all depends on the base you go to. I know many bases have contracted out gate guard and law enforcement duties to DOD cops to focus more on resource protection and deployments. And as other have stated, we are the Air Force infantry and expect to "play Army" alot, lol. Also expect to spend a lot of time in the Middle East.
                          sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5486 users online. 309 members and 5177 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X