300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reserve police here?

I will be PCSing to Albuquerque, New Mexico in a couple months and was wondering if any active duty MPs are reserve cops? New Mexico is one of the few states that will take my military police training in place of the their police academy. How is it affecting you life? Any advise?

Originally posted by tank83 View Post
    I will be PCSing to Albuquerque, New Mexico in a couple months and was wondering if any active duty MPs are reserve cops? New Mexico is one of the few states that will take my military police training in place of the their police academy. How is it affecting you life? Any advise?
    Im assuming your going to Kirtland AFB? If so go thru a civilian police academy. Just becasuse they accept your SF training doesnt mean its going to help you. You might be more of a liability to the department with just your SF training.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Since i'm active duty I can't go to a police academy. The state made it a law to accept MP academy as an equivalent. If a police department were to pick me up then I would assume my training is good enough. Being that I have been in for six years and on the HRCT team I have a bit to bring to the team besides a brand new guys. I work with a guy that just came from Cannon AFB and he got on with the Sheriffs department there. And yes I will be going to Eielson AFB.

Comment

Brother, just because you've been in for 6 years means squat. Life outside the gates is very, very different. I mean no disrespect of course but not much happens on AF bases. If you think for one second that your training and or experience is equivalent, you are mistaken.

An academy is only gonna help you learn the laws. Its only gonna help you learn how its done in the civilian world.

Do you know your case law? Do you know your misdemeanor exceptions? Do you know your defensive tactics?

Again, I dont mean to be rude but I'm telling it how it is. I've seen a metric chit ton of MP's SP's who thought they were all that but in reality, they didnt know jack. The military is still living in the 60's.

By the way, I did 8 years as an Army MP with lots of specialized schooling and put myself through a regional academy in preparation for my real job.

Comment

Liseten to what Unit says.....

The Military is back in the 60s when it comes to LE work. I (like Unit) did 8 years active doing all kinds of cool stuff like Invesitgations, drug work, traffic accident investigations, etc....

Guess what...? I got to a civilian police academy (paid for by my GI Bill) and got my *** handed to me the first week or so because I thought I knew it all.

Defensive tactics, use of force, case law, state statutes, DUIs, traffic investigations, etc....were all completely different that what the military does....

Spend your GI Bill and get good quaility training.......

Comment

Since i'm active duty I can't go to a police academy. The state made it a law to accept MP academy as an equivalent. If a police department were to pick me up then I would assume my training is good enough. Being that I have been in for six years and on the HRCT team I have a bit to bring to the team besides a brand new guys. I work with a guy that just came from Cannon AFB and he got on with the Sheriffs department there. And yes I will be going to Eielson AFB.
            Just because your active duty does not mean you can not go through a night time academy. Ive known several who did it while on active duty.

Also time working on the flightline probably does not count.

Also I thought you were going to Kirtland AFB. Now your going to Eilsen in AK?

Something doesnt seem right.

Comment

I think you first need to figure out where you are stationed and where you are PCSing to.....

Your first Post you stated, "Albuquerque, New Mexico ." Your secound post you stated you are going to "Eielson AFB". Your profile states you currently at Eielson AFB."

Secondly, take the advice that has been given you on here, civilian LE is a whole different ballgame then what you think....

Former AF Security Police
              Former Police Officer
              Current State Trooper

Comment

I do believe that he means he is going to Kirtland from Eilson. And don't know if the HRCT there is worth anything it wasn't 8 years ago. Dude get your training with the locals and go through a state academy. There is a huge difference between how we do things and how they do things. I don't know how long you have been in but there are some aspects that we as SF are seriously lacking in. And I am saying this as doing 11 years SF and handling a wide array of incidents. Go through a night course or something don't rely solely on the antiquated training you learned in tech which is enough to get you or someone else hurt/killed even on base.
                Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ccthompsfs View Post
                  I do believe that he means he is going to Kirtland from Eilson. And don't know if the HRCT there is worth anything it wasn't 8 years ago. Dude get your training with the locals and go through a state academy. There is a huge difference between how we do things and how they do things. I don't know how long you have been in but there are some aspects that we as SF are seriously lacking in. And I am saying this as doing 11 years SF and handling a wide array of incidents. Go through a night course or something don't rely solely on the antiquated training you learned in tech which is enough to get you or someone else hurt/killed even on base.
                  ccthompsfs.. I know some squadrons were not allowing SP's to go and become reserve/aux deputies when I was active. I remember hearing that the SF as a whole was going to get some rule, Iam assuming that its still the case or is it still a case by case by each squadron.

Comment

As a current SF member, I agree 110 percent with everyone here! SF training is ****... just think about the whooping 2 weeks they dedicate to LE in the academy... plus the back seat quarter backing by the command on everything you try to do? yea... I'll gladly take civvie training... now when it comes to blowing **** up, convoys, and war fighting..

Comment

Orlando a secondary form of employment is always at the Squadron Commanders discretion, even if it is to serve as a reserve LEO. I have gotten some good training being SF and it was all done outside of my squadron. I agree whole heartily with you guys and that a academy is the smart route to go. I have been SF for nearly 11 years and have pretty much dumped alot of what was taught at our school solely because it's crap. The Ikyo **** is worthless for a control technique as well as all that other defensive tactics ****. My first base which was at Cannon took a flight chief getting kicked in the face by a guy to get uso even ASP certified and any type of DT was reserved first for our EST guys and then anyone else. Where I am at now I have gotten a refresher in PPCT, MACH, and even picked up some tools from when I went through Detainee Ops training. We are getting better in that area but we are still to far behind you guys on the outside. Bottom line even if I were to get hired by a state that would give me credit for my SF training I would still go through an academy, not only for the law aspect but for everything else. I teach all my airmen coming in to seek out outside training other than what we get, to better themselves. I don't even really rely on our cuffing technique much anymore. Bottom line any SF who has no prior civilian law enforcement experience to go through a state academy.
                      Professionalism always, courtesy until it's time not to be.

Comment

They still teach the ikyo grip? Do they still teach the butt stroke with the M-16?

Comment

My apologize for my previous post. I'm currently at Eielson AFB and will be going to Kirtland AFB.

I do agree with what everyone is saying. SF academy is crap! As a supervisor of brand new troops I see it everyday. No with that being said I believe each base has specialized training on the job, as long as the commander approves. At Eielson we have a highway that cuts through the west side of base. We do traffic stops all the time out there and it's even better when one of the troopers joins us. The special tactics team from Fairbanks PD comes to base to train with our HRCT guys. Same with EVOC and field sobriety classes. Granted most of this is do to a lot of our guys are always deployed and we constantly are getting new guys therefore we all need to be on the same page if something happens on our base and the PD or Troopers need to respond. I do think I am over qualified on DUI's and domestic disturbances. Every winter everyone stays cooped up in their houses because it's -50 outside and everyone responds to their fair share.

Let's get back to the question on topic; any current active duty military personnel work as a reserve police?

Comment

I do think I am over qualified on DUI's and domestic disturbances.
                            No offense...but you're not. Why do you think LEOs have continuing education..? No one is perfect....ESPECIALLY when it comes to Domestice Violence...

Further....how are you an expert on this subject matter when you are just moving to NM and are going to have to learn a new set of laws and how things are run court wise...?

Once again...go through an academy....look to see if you can do it at night.....and get your command's approval....as that's what it will take down there....Command Approval....

Good luck...
                            Last edited by Bearcat357; 09-20-2009, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ccthompsfs View Post
                              Orlando a secondary form of employment is always at the Squadron Commanders discretion, even if it is to serve as a reserve LEO. I have gotten some good training being SF and it was all done outside of my squadron. I agree whole heartily with you guys and that a academy is the smart route to go. I have been SF for nearly 11 years and have pretty much dumped alot of what was taught at our school solely because it's crap. The Ikyo **** is worthless for a control technique as well as all that other defensive tactics ****. My first base which was at Cannon took a flight chief getting kicked in the face by a guy to get uso even ASP certified and any type of DT was reserved first for our EST guys and then anyone else. Where I am at now I have gotten a refresher in PPCT, MACH, and even picked up some tools from when I went through Detainee Ops training. We are getting better in that area but we are still to far behind you guys on the outside. Bottom line even if I were to get hired by a state that would give me credit for my SF training I would still go through an academy, not only for the law aspect but for everything else. I teach all my airmen coming in to seek out outside training other than what we get, to better themselves. I don't even really rely on our cuffing technique much anymore. Bottom line any SF who has no prior civilian law enforcement experience to go through a state academy.
                              man, we just got tasers into the flights over here, I pull one everyday, that and a asp.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2897 users online. 154 members and 2743 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X