300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Advice

This will be kinda long, but after seeing the help you guys gave Colombus I cant resist tapping into the infinite knowledge of O.com.

I talked to an Army Recruiter yesterday for about 2 hours, took a practice asvab test and went over everything I could think of. I got a 74 on the practice asvab and he said depending on my line scores that I would be able to choose from most jobs that would interest me. I have always looked at being an MP but also thought about being an Air Traffic Controller because my Grandfather did it for 30 years and retired very well off. Any advice on jobs, or contracts for that matter would be helpful.

After looking at the college hours I have, which is 28 hours currently with 6 more ill be getting at the end of this semester I was told that I could go in as an E3 Private First Class, he even said that if he remembered correctly I was close to the E4 requirement. To someone like me that doesnt exactly understand whats going on right now that sounds damn good, starting with rank in the Army when 3 months ago I would have told you I never had plans to join the military. If someone can explain promotions and rank better to me that would help.

Basic and AIT- I asked him about this and wanted to know what I needed to do physically to prepare for basic and was met with a little laughter and he said its really not that hard blah blah blah....so I am asking you guys, what do I need to do to prepare for basic? What are some Goals running time and distance wise, pull up/sit up/push up count, or sleeping pattern that I can shoot for.

I take the ASVAB in about 14 hours and will know by Wednesday what jobs and signing bonus I qualify for and will likely have more questions then. If theres any info about me that would help you guys answer my questions better just ask and ill answer them all the best I can.
    Originally posted by ISPY4U2
    I'd have pooped myself.
    "But Officer, it's not my butthole. Really, it's my cousins butthole."

-V

If you want to be an ATC, look at the Air Force.

As for basic. Plenty of losers make it through by doing the minimum.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Basics for PT
      2 mile run in 16:36
      42 pushups in 2 minutes
      54 situps in 2 minutes. But thats just the min. you never wanna be on the bottom. As for MP, thats what i currently am doing. If you are looking for law enforcement, you chances are slim, however they are out there. We do rotations, out of every year we do about 3/4 months of road work if that and the rest is training/deployment. Also, our promotion points are high currently (for the grades of e5/e6) if you wanna do ATC like m11 said look into the AF they will prolly be better suited for you. You'll average around six hours of sleep a night. The worst part of training is really just being away from family/friends. It's not THAT bad.

Comment

Don't forget about lunges and "monkey f**kers."

My son comes back from OSUT in 2 days (OSUT is BCT and AIT at one location). He has many stories about BCT, but basically says that Lonestarcop is correct. And even at 45 years old, I am still qualifying with PT every month. PT is a lifetime thing with the military.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Smurfette
        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
        Originally posted by DAL
        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I unofficially got an 80 on the AFQT, I wont know my official GT score until thursday or friday so ill post then what I find out.
          I'd have pooped myself.

-V

Comment

If you got an 80 you can have basically any job in the US Army. I got scored a 71 and there were only like 8 jobs i couldn't get. Mostly intel and language

Comment

I would look at EOD. Those guys are well trained and that will go a long ways in the outside world.

Comment

74 isn't setting the world on fire, but while i was in RR school over 70% of soldiers scored below a 60

Comment

Like I said that was my practice score, I was told last night that I got an 80 on the official test. I guess now I just have to wait till Thursday or Friday and hope that I got good line scores in the areas I want.

UPDATE----Officially I got an 85 on the AFQT and my GT score is 123. I got Thursday to MEPS and can sign my contract and get signed in on Friday. Here are the jobs I was offered.

11x 19k 88m 91b 25n 13f 14e 25v 68w 13r 94a 14t 14j 94e 94y 94p 25q 92g 91k
                  13d 13m 91h 92y 13p 25L 13b

Any and all input is welcome. Thank you.
                  Last edited by Jester69; 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM.
                  I'd have pooped myself.

-V

Comment

Originally posted by Jester69 View Post
                    Like I said that was my practice score, I was told last night that I got an 80 on the official test. I guess now I just have to wait till Thursday or Friday and hope that I got good line scores in the areas I want.

UPDATE----Officially I got an 85 on the AFQT and my GT score is 123. I got Thursday to MEPS and can sign my contract and get signed in on Friday. Here are the jobs I was offered.

11x 19k 88m 91b 25n 13f 14e 25v 68w 13r 94a 14t 14j 94e 94y 94p 25q 92g 91k
                    13d 13m 91h 92y 13p 25L 13b

Any and all input is welcome. Thank you.
                    I don't see 31B (MP) in there which I no longer recomend to anyone. However if you later decided to go for Army CID you would surely qualify with those scores.
                    As for preparing for basic; they will help motivate you to get into shape. Just make sure you can pass or meet height and weight requirements.

Comment

18x brother.

Comment

11X

And demand the airborne option!

You won't regret it!

Comment

As westside popo said, i would stay away from 31b, which i am for the obvious reasons.

Comment

All 31B slots are full for the next entire year. 89D-EOD is also full. I missed out on some good 25 series jobs because there was only 1 slot open and I couldnt reserve them all...so I put in for 68w-Combat Medic.
                            I'd have pooped myself.

-V

Comment

combat medic huh..PTSD here he comes. Seriously though, good luck brother.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4251 users online. 262 members and 3989 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X