300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the reserves

I am currently applying with a local law enforcement agency and I also have some interest in joining the reserves in the near future. I am unfamiliar with the reserves and was wondering if anyone could give me any positives or negative of joining while having a career in law enforcement. I have always been interested in the military and also had thoughts of joining. For example, the Army reserves, what is the pay, what are the benefits, and how often do you work? Anything will help, just looking for ideas and conversation.

Thanks
    "Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Joshua 1:9

I was a new police officer and a Sgt in the Army Reserves at the time. Most agencies are very accommodating. There are laws that protect your job. As far as pay and benefits, that stuff is all on line with military pay scales. Your asking a very vague question. As far as deploying, who knows. I know reservists who have yet to leave the states, I know others who every time I run into them in the break room they are gearing up for another deployment. Depending on what you want to do, becoming a police officer first might help you if plan on doing CID or CGIS. Other than that, I have been out for several years now, but 10s of thousands do it everyday.
    I will tell you this, although they cant use the military against you when selecting for special assignments in police work...ummmm...they do. For example if you are putting in for a police unit, SWAT, EOD, K9 etc. you being in the reserves may "unofficially" take you out of the running. They may not give a dog to a guy who might deploy for a year. When I was on SWAT, I was politely told by my SWAT Commander when it came time to re-enlist that I needed to choose my career. The writing was on the wall. So I opted not to reenlist. Ive regreted it ever since and I dont even work for that agency anymore.

Then again, lets say your Air Force EOD and your trying to get on your departments Bomb Team. They may be tripping over themselves to get to you. When you find what agency you are looking at, what service and MOS, I would suggest maybe locating someone from that agency you are applying to and ask them. Every department has its own distinct personality. BELIEVE ME! Some actually encourage it. Others, youll be working midnights and weekends for the rest of your career.

If you havnt enlisted in the military yet, I would do it first and get Basic and Tech school out of the way before you start your LE career if possible. Especially of you choose some wild MOS with a 9 month tech school. Going in after your already a cop, you will more than likely have to wait until after your FTO and Probation are over. Then you will have to decide if you can take the pay cut to become an E-1 in whatever service you join. Clear as mud?
    Last edited by Flying Pig; 09-09-2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Thank you "Flying Pig" for your insight. I guess my question was kinda vague I am sorry, I am just trying to get any info about the reserves as possible. Mainly I was just curious if others would suggest it or be against it. I totally agree with you though about working in LE before I decide. That is my plan. I can see what you mean about the selecting someone to work K-9 that could possibly be deployed. That is something serious I need to think about. I am definitely considering the opportunity to work in CID and K-9. Thanks again.
      "Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Comment

The unit that relieved us had a reservist who was forced to deploy in the middle of the police academy. You definetely don't want to get stuck in that situation. Become a police officer first then join. Your law enforcement background might get you in at a higher rank. I know for the coast guard it will.

Comment

No I def. would not want that to happen! I want to become a police officer first! That is my number one goal right now! Thanks "Arewethereyet"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6276 users online. 311 members and 5965 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X