Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a UCMJ Violation for a Military Member to participate in a 1%er Motorcycle Club

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a UCMJ Violation for a Military Member to participate in a 1%er Motorcycle Club

It got brought up in a discussion, Air Force specicifc would it be a violation of UCMJ for an USAF AD member to participate in a MC that claims 1 percenter status?

I was wondering this too .. I remember our DS at Benning used to wear colors and he would flaunt them around when he was in civvies .. noone seemed to care but I always thought that was weird.

Comment

Check with your Command. There are new guidelines in place regarding membership with criminal street gangs, organizations. And those 1% are criminal gangs, no matter how you slice it.
      Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Membership in and of itself is not a direct violation.

http://militarytimes.com/static/proj...ngic_gangs.pdf
        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Membership is not a violation, flaunting your membership is. Out o sight, out of mind. However, if they are involved with illegal activities, you may want to think twice because the UCMJ is quite strict. What may land you in civilian jail for a year, could land you in a military jail much longer.

Comment

Its a blatent violation of Article one nintytheyarefrickenstupid!
            It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by DEcop989
              I havent been an MP since 2006, so take my words for what they are - one man's opinion.

Being a member of a security threat group in and of itself is not a violation of UCMJ. However, the minute I see gang signs, colors, or anything that I can interpret as going to identify the maker/holder/wearer as a member, that IS a violation. I can and have brougt UCMJ charges for that. The military is the same as civilian law enforcement - gangs are infiltrating to receive training. The fact that we arent executing those found is dangerous in that our techniques and tactics are not viewable for the very people we're fighting against.
              Things haven't changed.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Smurfette
              Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
              Originally posted by DAL
              You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

OK i'll bite.

How about all the Airmen and Soldiers on every base flaunting other gang affiliation apparel? Head rags and such. Are you going to grab them?

OMC's are not groups that advocate the overthrow of the American Government, therefore they are not expressly forbidin. In order for a Military member to be reprimanded for wearing colors, they would have to have a Commanders policy which states the affiliation is a detrement to good order and conduct.

I know of two full bird Colonels who ride with Mongols every weekend. They choose their friends poorly, but most of do at one point or another.

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Well I work on the Drug Team for a Base in Oklahoma, and we have been charged now the task of surveillance of gangs and gang affiliation. I have personally sent chapter request and everyone of them has been approved by either showing that they participated in a crime with known gang members and/ or worn colors or just worn colors and admitted to reppin that specific gang. i.e stated they are blood.... Now when it comes to Motorcycle gangs I actually had my first case last week of a DOD Civilian and AD Service member being apart of a 1% all this stemming from a assault that took place, if they are found guilty of the charge and did it for that reason and or I can prove they are apart of the 1% and they claim to be a part of that group and participate in any other criminal activity the group is tied to crimes in the area the Civilian is fired and the AD will face UCMJ and Civilian prosecution than be separated or BCD for being apart of a Extremist or Organized Crime group. The way the new rules play as explained to me by JAG is that if they admit and there is evidence that they are apart of or a crime happens with gang members and they are there they can be prosecuted.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender06 View Post
                    It got brought up in a discussion, Air Force specicifc would it be a violation of UCMJ for an USAF AD member to participate in a MC that claims 1 percenter status?
                    Association with known criminals.

1%'ers are self described "outlaws," who by their own definition commit crimes. That's what they do. That's why they call themselves 1%'ers.

Military service is incompatible with outlaw gang behavior.

Article 134, UCMC. May also be a violation of art. 92, UCMJ if a directive against associating with criminal gangs exists.
                    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                      OK i'll bite.

I know of two full bird Colonels who ride with Mongols every weekend. They choose their friends poorly, but most of do at one point or another.

M-11
                      Incredible.

Senior officers with high clearances riding with a criminal gang.

Somebody should call the IG and report them for associating with these groups.
                      Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

1% legaly define themselves as Motorcycle clubs. We know it's crap, but how many Jags do you know who would go to a CM over affiliation?

The military justice system is not designed or prepared for these types of things.

Yes it's wrong, and with some work and a dedicated JAG something might stick, but it is a damn lot of work to get anyone to take it seriously.

M-11
                        “All men dream...... But not equally..
                        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Any LEO who joins, hangs, wanna-bees with any OMC (1%'ers) is a threat to all the other members of the agency they work with. There is no "it's cool. They like me". Give me a break... You have been turned.
                          Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

There has been no mention of cops being involved. This only relates to U.S. military personnel.
                            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

It doesn't matter what 1% clubs define themselves as, "legally" or otherwise.

Commanders are authorized to punish servicemembers discovered to be affiliated with any gang (this includes street gangs and OMG's) to include punitive discharge under articles 134 and 92 of the UCMJ.

I have seen numerous examples of military members discharged for associating or just wearing the clothing of a gang, despite their actual membership status.

Unfortunately, I have also seen some members get a pass (in the aforementioned case of an LTC who was a member of the Hell's Angels and allowed to retire instead of getting the boot). Like anything else, it is up to the commander to determine their fate.

For guidance on this subject, commanders can reference DoD Directive 1325.6, Oct 1996. Paragraph 3.5.8 specifically states:

"Military personnel must reject participation in organizations that espouse supremacist causes; attempt to create illegal discrimination based on race, creed, color, sex, religion, or national origin; advocate the use of force or violence; or otherwise engage in efforts to deprive individuals of their civil rights.

Active participation, such as publicly demonstrating or rallying, fund raising, recruiting and training members, organizing or leading such organizations, or otherwise engaging in activities in relation to such organizations or in furtherance of the objectives of such organizations that are viewed by command to be detrimental to the good order, discipline, or mission accomplishment of the unit, is incompatible with Military Service, and is, therefore, prohibited."

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                              1% legaly define themselves as Motorcycle clubs. We know it's crap, but how many Jags do you know who would go to a CM over affiliation?

The military justice system is not designed or prepared for these types of things.

Yes it's wrong, and with some work and a dedicated JAG something might stick, but it is a damn lot of work to get anyone to take it seriously.

M-11

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12377 users online. 520 members and 11857 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X