Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Force Security Forces and OC Spray!?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Force Security Forces and OC Spray!?

I'm about to join the Air Guard and have chosen the Security Forces field. I am also currently a state trooper. My question is in regards to getting OC'ed in tech school. I've been told by some that you don't get OC'ed until you get to your unit and some have said that you get OC'ed in tech school. Does anyone have for sure clarification on when and where you get OC'ed, if at all? I have my OC certification from the trooper academy and was wondering if that would carry over into the military world? Any answers will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I am an ARMY MP and a Reserve LEO. I was not OC'ed at the school being that several Active Duty units over seas cannot carry OC due to a Status of Forces Agreement (Such as Korea my first active duty assignment we could not carry OC Spray or Tasers). So when i reported to my first state side unit I was OC'ed during my Cert that you get when you arrive at a new duty station. Now some units will except a civ leo cert for OC others will not you will have to talk to your unit that you are going to.

Comment

You will most likely be OC'ed at your first duty assignment.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

when i went through tech school we did not get sprayed. i too am in the guard and also a civilian leo, and sometimes they let stuff carry over like asp certification and such, sometimes not, it's weird. we do not carry oc so thankfully i dont have to go through that again, once was enough for me, not to mention every time i get it on the job.

Comment

I hear ya' MT Guy...that OC is no joke! Much rather take the ride (Taser) than get sprayed! I appreciate the responses guys!

Comment

You don't get sprayed in basic, tech school, or your new base. We just take about an hr long class (or less) and we are certified to carry it (nobody really does though).
            "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

Comment

I'm that 1%, no burning for me, just a little trouble breathing.
              Want to start a website? I run Host Lonestar.
              Texas Discussion blog about texas...forum as well

Comment

A few years ago some bases OCd there guys but it is now against Air Force policy.

Comment

Yeah I just got out of tech school and never saw oc. We laughed and watched the Navy guys get sprayed and chase a red padded "suspect" with a baton. We did do the fun gas chamber in basic training, i believe that was CS gas though. I keep hearing that i will get OC'd in Oklahoma, but rumors in the military rarely pan out, unless its a lockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by ELCID02 View Post
                    A few years ago some bases OCd there guys but it is now against Air Force policy.
                    Not true..OSI agents are authorized to carry OC.
                    "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

“No strain on the crane, because the cable is able.” - Mr. Collins

Comment

I dont think he meant that we cant carry it anymore... we still carry it... we just stopped spraying people since it can cause damage to your eyes. But we have never sprayed you in Tech School... at least not in my time.

Comment

Wow...lots of misconceptions about OC. Too bad.

Laughing at the Navy guys... That's actually the graduation ex for OC. You get sprayed, then have to defend yourself against multiple attackers for a minute, then draw your weapon and gain control of the suspect(s). That's a Real World application. Any LEO knows what that's about...

Watching a video and then being "certified" is laughable, and should not be accepted by ANYONE who has to carry it.

Thank you for pointing out the level of training should I be working with AFSF OCONUS/INCONUS. I will stay upwind at all times.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AFInstructor View Post
                          we just stopped spraying people since it can cause damage to your eyes.
                          ???

Comment

Originally posted by MT Guy View Post
                            ???

Not sure how that is a confusing statement...

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                              Wow...lots of misconceptions about OC. Too bad.

Laughing at the Navy guys... That's actually the graduation ex for OC. You get sprayed, then have to defend yourself against multiple attackers for a minute, then draw your weapon and gain control of the suspect(s). That's a Real World application. Any LEO knows what that's about...

Watching a video and then being "certified" is laughable, and should not be accepted by ANYONE who has to carry it.

Thank you for pointing out the level of training should I be working with AFSF OCONUS/INCONUS. I will stay upwind at all times.
                              I understand that what's his name showed his lack of experience by saying that they "laughed" while Navy guys chased a red dummy. It was probably more like "damn, I'm glad we don't have to do that." So, I understand that you would get your feathers in a ruffle about that comment.

However, I was "certified" to carry pepper spray in the Air Force. And now I am certified to carry it as a Fed LE. The difference between my tactics and ability now as a Fed LEO vs. when I was AF Sec Forces is absolutely nothing. I know plenty of guys who used it during responses in the Air Force and they didn't drop the spray or run away screaming when they caught a little bit in the eye, so let's not pretend like it is some big deal. To imply that you have to get sprayed to be real LE is pretty ridiculous. Let's not play that game.

We can apply the same rationale to the baton. I'm sure you are "certified" by the Navy to carry that, but it isn't like you had to take a strike before you could use it. I was also K9 and I know for damn sure that I never had to take a bite to be certified as a patrol dog handler. These are both types of non-lethal force comparable to pepper spray.

So please, relax with all these comments implying that your level of training is sooo much more legit. That dude's response was pretty dumb, but it is pretty obvious that he is wet behind the ears. Let's not insult a bunch of people just because the youngest one in the group runs his mouth.
                              Last edited by Ali G; 03-14-2009, 10:07 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4209 users online. 264 members and 3945 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X