300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by watcher82 View Post
    Well it does happen, I know of 2 DON police departments that enforce state law, as well as UCMJ and some federal law (mostly trespassing). Well its been awhile, I know during the big realignment deal a lot of people jumped ship, as big those of rank (captains and above) don’t like civilians telling them what to do. Things could have changed, I’ll have to make a phone call and check. I think its sad how most series 0083 officer are treated, they need to all come together and fight for at least LEO retirement. I know of agencies that do a lot less LEO work and get it... sad indeed.
    DoN police don't have the authority to enforce state law. Period.

Under the Assimilative Crimes Act, a base commander may "assimilate" the criminal and traffic laws of the surrounding state, but if that happens, those laws become military and federal laws, and are enforced and tried in court as such. Not as state laws.

Let's be accurate.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

DoN police don't have the authority to enforce state law. Period.
      Not quite. When I was in DC we had authority via a federal legislation which allowed us to directly enforce DC laws rather than going to the magistrate court which we did when I was at Walter Reed. Also several bases use state citations (Great Lakes and NWS Charleston). I know NWS Charleston recieves authority and are sworn in as reserve officers.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
        Not quite. When I was in DC we had authority via a federal legislation which allowed us to directly enforce DC laws rather than going to the magistrate court which we did when I was at Walter Reed. Also several bases use state citations (Great Lakes and NWS Charleston). I know NWS Charleston recieves authority and are sworn in as reserve officers.

Orlandofed,

The District is different, since it's a creation of the Federal government and is ultimately controlled & budgeted by the U.S. Congress.

In other places, if a base cop is deputized as a local officer with state authority, he or she issues the citation under his state authority, and not under any DoD authority to issue state citations (which doesn't exist). That's the reason for state deputation.

I'm a stickler for legal accuracy.

Mea Culpa.
        Last edited by Woofdog; 11-10-2008, 08:20 AM.
        Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4982 users online. 340 members and 4642 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X