300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Carry On A Military Base:

Are sworn police officers off duty, who have access on base, allowed to carry their concealed off duty weapon?

Just wondering, I don't have access on base anymore so I wouldn't have a clue what the answer would be, but figured an MP would. I may go on base here soon after being sponsored on by an active duty member. I would like to have this question clarified before carrying my gun on base while off duty.

Just info: I'm a fully credentialed police officer working for a local police department here in the State of California.
    Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...t=97997&page=2

As a military retiree and sworn officer, I always carry on base, off or on duty.
    Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

I was on a closed military base yesterday and used my credentials to get in. They didn't even ask me if I was carrying my weapon.

Comment

Chiming in.

Probably the same thread that was posted above.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...00#post1376300

Ask.

You never know what the answer is.
        "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Thanks for the link to the previous post.

My bad, I guess I should've looked further into the Forum.

Anyway thanks again.
          Go back to where ever you came from, smoke a fatty, and sing Kum-Ba-Yah with Osama Bin Laden. Hopefully you will find the Communist Utopia you so desire.

Comment

Originally posted by CAleo View Post
            Thanks for the link to the previous post.

My bad, I guess I should've looked further into the Forum.

Anyway thanks again.
            No problem, glad to help. I often wondered what the exact federal law was that dealt with the issue of guns on bases. But, regardless of the letter of the law, I have to assume the commanding officer of said base has some discretion as to the implementation of the law. It's the only reason I can use to explain why it's different from base to base.

Just like the no guns in a post office law. I carry into post offices all of the time. Several times, I've open carried. Never had a problem, but the law technically says no carry.
            "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

The Reason For The Question:

I asked the above question, because when I was IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve) I needed to go on Base. Before going on Base I called the SF Station (Security Forces) and asked If I could bring my off duty gun on base while I was there.

An SF answered the phone and asked basically, why do you need to bring your gun on base? I told the SF that I always carry my off duty weapon when I'm off duty. I was then advised by the SF that I could bring my off duty weapon on base with my credentials, but I needed to leave the weapon in my vehicle when I got out of the vehicle and went inside a building.

I seriously thought that was odd, especially when vehicle burgs are a "dime a dozen", and, how you always hear about the poor cop who got his gun stolen from inside his vehicle. I also thought it was odd that they would allow me to bring the gun on Base, but I couldn't bring it inside any of the buildings.

It didn't seem to make since. I basically wanted to know if there was some kind of federal law (such as LEOSA) that protected off duty officers carrying their off duty weapon on Base. I don't want to have the dreaded "newbie" SF shaking me down and finding my gun on me and then arresting me. Essentially adhering to the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law (but then again there is no letter in this case). That is what makes me nervous, since there is really no Federal, or USMJ Statute out there I guess it is on a case by case basis, based upon what Base you're on and who commands it.

Please by all means do not take offense to the "newbie" SF comment. Take it at face value. Now that I'm out of the IRR the question still remains....can I carry my off duty weapon on my badge and creds. I guess the answer would be following the SF advice that I was given in the first place, because each base has its own standards.

My advice.....call the MP, SF, or MAA station on the Base you are going to before carrying your weapon because each place has its own standards, Good Luck.

Comment

You don't have to worry about any SF newbee "arresting" you, because no military LE person has statutory powers of arrest. It takes a civilian CID/OSI/NCIS agent, or an FBI agent, or a DUSM.

If you're a reserve, all they can do is "apprehend" you under UCMJ, and turn you over to your unit commander.

But that's been discussed to death already.
                Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Professional??

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
                  You don't have to worry about any SF newbee "arresting" you, because no military LE person has statutory powers of arrest. It takes a civilian CID/OSI/NCIS agent, or an FBI agent, or a DUSM.

If you're a reserve, all they can do is "apprehend" you under UCMJ, and turn you over to your unit commander.

But that's been discussed to death already.
                  Who needs to arrest that person , when they can be issued a DD Form 1805 for CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON ON A MILITARY INSTALLATION. Arrest powers have nothing to do with being detained and processed. As a former SF member due to professional courtesy we would not hem a LOCAL or STATE LEO up for carrying on base because frankly we don't care. For people that are enforcing laws (COPS) TO DISREGARD an INSTALLATION LAW/REGULATION your suppose to be the example.

Is that important to carry on base anyway?
                  "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
                  German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

By law you may not carry a weapon on a base unless you are executing your duties. Now, thats not saying an MP is going to apprehend you and process you. Heck, most of the time we told normal people to just lock it up in the trunk unloaded while on post, let alone a cop. I can think of about 30 times I got called to the gate about it, and about 3 times its been retired military that are current LEO's. But, when we went to MPOC, a local deputy came for instruction, and he had to leave his weapon at the PMO (was in civies) it all depends on the Provost Martial and Garrison Commander what the specific SOP is. Oh, and woofdog, last time I checked CID doesn't have statutory arrest powers......
                    Want to start a website? I run Host Lonestar.
                    Texas Discussion blog about texas...forum as well

Comment

Originally posted by FormerUSAF View Post
                      Who needs to arrest that person , when they can be issued a DD Form 1805 for CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON ON A MILITARY INSTALLATION. Arrest powers have nothing to do with being detained and processed. As a former SF member due to professional courtesy we would not hem a LOCAL or STATE LEO up for carrying on base because frankly we don't care. For people that are enforcing laws (COPS) TO DISREGARD an INSTALLATION LAW/REGULATION your suppose to be the example.

Becasue crime never happens on a military base.

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by inveich View Post
                        By law you may not carry a weapon on a base unless you are executing your duties. Now, thats not saying an MP is going to apprehend you and process you. Heck, most of the time we told normal people to just lock it up in the trunk unloaded while on post, let alone a cop. I can think of about 30 times I got called to the gate about it, and about 3 times its been retired military that are current LEO's. But, when we went to MPOC, a local deputy came for instruction, and he had to leave his weapon at the PMO (was in civies) it all depends on the Provost Martial and Garrison Commander what the specific SOP is. Oh, and woofdog, last time I checked CID doesn't have statutory arrest powers......
                        That's what I do throw it in the trunk if I have it when I go on Base.
                        "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
                        German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

Gun in Trunk

I have to agree with FormerUSAF just put it in the trunk it's not worth the hassle. It's still there if you need it.....
                          A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
                          J.S. Mill

Comment

Originally posted by FormerUSAF View Post

Yes, it's important for any sworn peace officer to carry a weapon, on and off duty.

I'll gladly accept the 1805. Then I'll have it dismissed by the U.S. Attorney.
                            Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

By law you may not carry a weapon on a base unless you are executing your duties.
                              I'm "on duty" 24/7, even when I'm not on the clock.

Oh, and woofdog, last time I checked CID doesn't have statutory arrest powers......
                              Military CID agents don't. Civilian CID agents do. Look it up.
                              Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6191 users online. 322 members and 5869 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X