X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defender06
    replied
    I leave for k9 next week, the process as of now is:

A1C with a 5-skill level, apply via the virtual MPF, if needed extend your enlistment up to 23 months total active duty service commitment and have your spleen. its a 90 day class at Lackland AFB, the only people who approve it now is your Commander and MPF. Any more questions?

Leave a comment:

• RJW
    replied
    Originally posted by MookieHada View Post
    How do you become apart of this unit? Do you have to be active duty?
    I am a K9 Handler/Kennelmaster in the Air Force. To be K9 you have to be active duty and in Security Forces. You can be an A1C however you have to have your 5 skill level. Nowadays you no longer have to have the kennelmasters approval, you just have to talk to the retraining office and get your packet and complete it.

Leave a comment:

• J2H
    replied
    Actually, ALS (Airman Leadership School) is the AF answer to PLDC/BNCOC.

Leave a comment:

• Unit453
    replied
    So basically the AF's version of PLDC or BNCOC.

I know of a few Army posts where K-9 MP's dont work the road. Only the 0083 handlers provide the law enforcement.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    The AF uses the Dept. Of Labor rates for training. A 3 level is an apprentice who just graduated from BMT(boot) and tech school (ground combat skills/AF SP academy). You got your 5 level after a series of books (called Career Development courses) which covered basically everything you learned in the academy about 6 months to a year later and then took a series of tests. There is a 7 level and 9 level.

Leave a comment:

• DACP
    replied
    Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Im sure it has changed from my AF days but the minimum requirements to be an MWD handler (its not k9) were:

1. E-4/Senior Airman and above
    2. Completion of 5 level training
    3. Recommendation of the kennelmaster
    What is level 5 training? spent all my time in the Army so just curious

Leave a comment:

• J2H
    replied
    Yeah, now they are taking A1Cs, we have a guy here just got approved for K9 school as an A1C

Leave a comment:

• Rasmblack
    replied
    All the bases I was ever at they let you suck up to the kennel master for a possible spot for training but always gave it to the SSgts.

Leave a comment:

• J2H
    replied
    Most SrA in the SecFor are too disgruntled to retrain to reenlist/extend, so they get out, they started picking the younger non-jaded guys to do it

Leave a comment:

• Shoot N Scoot
    replied
    Some things have changed. I have seen more and more MWD handlers from the USAF and USMC going strait from their AIT to K9 school. I know of one Air Nat Guard unit that has MWDs but they were full time folks

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    Im sure it has changed from my AF days but the minimum requirements to be an MWD handler (its not k9) were:

1. E-4/Senior Airman and above
    2. Completion of 5 level training
    3. Recommendation of the kennelmaster

Leave a comment:

• MookieHada
    started a topic Af Sf K9?

Af Sf K9?

How do you become apart of this unit? Do you have to be active duty?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3669 users online. 225 members and 3444 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X