300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Af Sf K9?

How do you become apart of this unit? Do you have to be active duty?

Im sure it has changed from my AF days but the minimum requirements to be an MWD handler (its not k9) were:

1. E-4/Senior Airman and above
    2. Completion of 5 level training
    3. Recommendation of the kennelmaster
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Some things have changed. I have seen more and more MWD handlers from the USAF and USMC going strait from their AIT to K9 school. I know of one Air Nat Guard unit that has MWDs but they were full time folks
      Steve
      Respect all ...... Fear none!!!

Comment

Most SrA in the SecFor are too disgruntled to retrain to reenlist/extend, so they get out, they started picking the younger non-jaded guys to do it
        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

All the bases I was ever at they let you suck up to the kennel master for a possible spot for training but always gave it to the SSgts.
          What Is A Veteran?
          A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

Yeah, now they are taking A1Cs, we have a guy here just got approved for K9 school as an A1C
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
              Im sure it has changed from my AF days but the minimum requirements to be an MWD handler (its not k9) were:

1. E-4/Senior Airman and above
              2. Completion of 5 level training
              3. Recommendation of the kennelmaster
              What is level 5 training? spent all my time in the Army so just curious
              It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

The AF uses the Dept. Of Labor rates for training. A 3 level is an apprentice who just graduated from BMT(boot) and tech school (ground combat skills/AF SP academy). You got your 5 level after a series of books (called Career Development courses) which covered basically everything you learned in the academy about 6 months to a year later and then took a series of tests. There is a 7 level and 9 level.
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

So basically the AF's version of PLDC or BNCOC.

I know of a few Army posts where K-9 MP's dont work the road. Only the 0083 handlers provide the law enforcement.

Comment

Actually, ALS (Airman Leadership School) is the AF answer to PLDC/BNCOC.
                    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012

Comment

Originally posted by MookieHada View Post
                      How do you become apart of this unit? Do you have to be active duty?
                      I am a K9 Handler/Kennelmaster in the Air Force. To be K9 you have to be active duty and in Security Forces. You can be an A1C however you have to have your 5 skill level. Nowadays you no longer have to have the kennelmasters approval, you just have to talk to the retraining office and get your packet and complete it.

Comment

I leave for k9 next week, the process as of now is:

A1C with a 5-skill level, apply via the virtual MPF, if needed extend your enlistment up to 23 months total active duty service commitment and have your spleen. its a 90 day class at Lackland AFB, the only people who approve it now is your Commander and MPF. Any more questions?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5022 users online. 265 members and 4757 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X