300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drunk Drivers on base

Just curious how you guys feel about drunk drivers on base? How you handle them i gues? I am in california and with a local PD and the other night I was following what appeared to be a cvc23152 driver had all the good tall tale signs and no headlights on. I followed the indivdual towards the entrance of the base where the MPs are standing by to talk to every driver and the individual I was following...... the mp let him through. SO it was my turn I told him who I was and what I thought about the Driver and his reply is " well i talked to him for a whole 5 seconds and I didn't smell anything on his breath" So i simply told him "ok not my problem then have a good night" and I turned around and headed back home. I am just curious if its that big a deal to you guys out on base as it is too me... I know for a fact that the mp did not stop and talk to the guy for 5 seconds because I was sitting right there watching him flash his ID and take off.

Just engared me a little because 1. I do know what I saw and what of course if I was on duty would have done and 2. They didn't seem like they really cared. Wonder if they just do not have the resources or what....they don't even have chase cars at the entrances to the base if somebody was to blow right on through or was driving while under the influence.

Any .02 cents?

I can't speak for the base you were at, but I enjoyed arresting DUI's when I was in the military. As for the chase cars at the gates, we didn't need them. The bases I was stationed had on average one patrol car every .75 square miles. So even if we were on the far side of our sector we didn't have to go more then a few blocks to get to the other side. All of the gates were at the boundaries for the sectors. That way if someone ran the gate and one patrol was busy there was always at lest one other one very close. If none were busy then we would abide by the federal government's mandate that the best reaction is overreaction.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Personally I cannot stand them but that is just me talking, back when I was an Mp I was part of a 2 man DUI team, we got results those results were convictions we sighted using state code did not matter if you were a civilian or military 1805 and see the judge. Don’t work patrol right now so I am not sure what the problem is, I can only guess I know that the Guards are under pressure to get people through the gates as fast as possible seems people do not want the incontinence of staying safe to mess with them getting home at 0200. So in a whopping 5-8 seconds they have to determine if A) is the drivers ID valid. B) Can the driver enter? C) Is the car registered on post? D) Do they pose a threat? E) Is everyone else in the car able to proceed? F) Are there ID’s valid. G) Are they on the BAR/ Suspension list. H) Are they on the local BOLO list? I) Are they drunk?
      Swear to God that is the order they want us to do it in, not much time to figure out the DUI thing. And yes we have a stupidvisor who will sit there with a stop watch and check. Personally I feel that it should take as long as it takes and everyone else can wait their turn…………guess that is why I no longer work the gate. Guess the only thing you could have done was light them up yourself right before the gate, and call it “fresh pursuit” if they get past the gate, let the guard know and hope that they get the MP’s or Base Police on them, don’t know but either way it is not right.

almost forgot chase vehicles for us are useless they are museum pieces as we called them, since none of them ran it was all for show. MP’s actually towed a few to the gates just to sit there and look pretty.
      It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

I used to do PC stops all the time (license plate light out, not turning your headlights on after coming in the gate, etc.) I loved DUI's, I rarely cut breaks, and those breaks were usually, park your car, you BN CSM will be coming to pick you up. About 1 in 20 got that. I would also sit on the gate, I'd let the AKAL guards check the ID's, I just stuck my head in the window. Thats also how I'd get unrestrained children, no seatbelt, etc. If someone was speeding (there were the "you are going XX MPH" Signs at the gates as you came in, I'd watch them if they looked like they were going faster than 10 and anyone going 20 or over would be "selected for a ransom vehicle inspection" I got 6 ounces of pot once that way But, most MP's, at least at Ft. Hood, DUI hunt on mids (12-8am), not so much swings, (4pm-midnight) b/c you go call, case, call, case, all night long. What service was it?
        Want to start a website? I run Host Lonestar.
        Texas Discussion blog about texas...forum as well

Comment

I personally can't stand drunk drivers, it could be my family they could kill by being an idiot. From my end I will nail their behind to the outhouse wall. The people above me routinely sweep it under the rug. They will either decide not to prosecute it, or prosecute it as reckless driving. Or someone at the station will do away with the entire case before it goes anywhere. Its total BS.

Comment

A. Not sure what base you are near.....but those "MPs" could have been contracted guards that have no experience with DUIs. They are just looking for folks with valid IDs/Decals and letting them in..... They don't care as thats not part of their duties......just a fact of life....

B. Rest assured, if someone is caught DUI on post....they get whacked hard..... MPs are trainned in detecting and processing DUIs....especially if they are Garrison MPs and do it all the time. The biggest issues MPs have is the fact that they might only work Road Duties a couple of times a year and the rest of the time they are deployed in the ME. Thats why all the services are going to Civilian Police Officers to work the road......so they have a stable force..... Some areas have done it, some haven't thus far......

If you have any real issues, get with the staff at the MP Station and talk wtih them. If they are some place that are behind in DUI detection, they might like to have your officers come on post and teach DUI classes.....

Just some thoughts.....

Comment

I have been SF in the AF for over 4 yrs and never processed a DUI or even had one while I was at work. Most people on the gates are young and don't wanna deal with it, and the base is so small that they can easily make it to where they are goin without anybody catching them. Our commander is not the best example as far as being sober goes though.....thats another story though.
              "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

Comment

So, wait, an MP was working a gate and had no idea what he was doing? No idea how to look for, smell, process a DUI?

Say it isnt so...

Had that been me, I woulda lit'em up just before or just after the gate and found out for myself.

No offense to any prior or currently serving MP's.
                Last edited by Unit453; 09-02-2008, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unit453 View Post
                  So, wait, an MP was working a gate and had no idea what he was doing? No idea how to look for, smell, process a DUI?

Say it isnt so...

Had that been me, I woulda lit'em up just before or just after the gate and found out for myself.

No offense to any prior or currently serving MP's.
                  Probably not that he didn't know more accurately he didn't care that seems to be the way most MPs are going now.

Comment

Most bases security is now contracted to private security companies.
                    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Originally posted by scout987 View Post
                      Just curious how you guys feel about drunk drivers on base? How you handle them i gues? I am in california and with a local PD and the other night I was following what appeared to be a cvc23152 driver had all the good tall tale signs and no headlights on. I followed the indivdual towards the entrance of the base where the MPs are standing by to talk to every driver and the individual I was following...... the mp let him through. SO it was my turn I told him who I was and what I thought about the Driver and his reply is " well i talked to him for a whole 5 seconds and I didn't smell anything on his breath" So i simply told him "ok not my problem then have a good night" and I turned around and headed back home. I am just curious if its that big a deal to you guys out on base as it is too me... I know for a fact that the mp did not stop and talk to the guy for 5 seconds because I was sitting right there watching him flash his ID and take off.

Just engared me a little because 1. I do know what I saw and what of course if I was on duty would have done and 2. They didn't seem like they really cared. Wonder if they just do not have the resources or what....they don't even have chase cars at the entrances to the base if somebody was to blow right on through or was driving while under the influence.

Any .02 cents?
                      I get behind people with great (or horrible, however you want to look at it), and then I stop them and they're completely sober. I'd say 9 times out of 10 I stop someone without headlights it's just because they didn't turn the switch all the way and didn't even notice because of the street lights. I'd say 4 times out of 5 that I stop someone for a possible DUI investigation, they're not DUI. Does that mean I'm not doing my job because I'm not arresting someone just because their driving has all of the signs of someone driving under the influence? The fact is they made contact with the guy, you did not. Was he drunk? Maybe. But you have no reason to second guess what they said.

Comment

Yeah, I always made sure I was consistently (SP?) pulling people over for the things I used for PC stops, that way when I had to testify, and the defense attorney asked me do I normally pull someone over for failing to signal intent to change lanes, I can say yes without perjing my self. I miss working the road, although DST (narco) is fun as hell. Oh, and out AKAL guards liked to pretend they were cops lol. We used to get calls to the gate all the time, blah blah be enroute to ACP 1, found contraband. We'd get there and during a random vehicle inspection the guy has a baseball bat in the cab of his car (as well as a baseball bag with a batting helmet, glove, and ball) and AKAL is saying its a prohibited item. So we'd tell the guy to put it in his trunk and he can leave. Then AKAL would get mad because we didn't do anything lol.

Comment

Yeah, I always made sure I was consistently (SP?) pulling people over for the things I used for PC stops, that way when I had to testify, and the defense attorney asked me do I normally pull someone over for failing to signal intent to change lanes, I can say yes without perjing my self. I miss working the road, although DST (narco) is fun as hell. Oh, and out AKAL guards liked to pretend they were cops lol. We used to get calls to the gate all the time, blah blah be enroute to ACP 1, found contraband. We'd get there and during a random vehicle inspection the guy has a baseball bat in the cab of his car (as well as a baseball bag with a batting helmet, glove, and ball) and AKAL is saying its a prohibited item. So we'd tell the guy to put it in his trunk and he can leave. Then AKAL would get mad because we didn't do anything lol.

Comment

Comment

I had 5 DUIs in my tour with the AF and all of them were when I was at a gate working the sercurity side. We are trained for detection and most commanders will give insentives if you catch one. A few extra days off type thing. As for if someone tries to get by before I let him through, we have measures in place at all AF bases to make sure that they dont get very far..
                              What Is A Veteran?
                              A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2728 users online. 147 members and 2581 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X