300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDTs... Sorta

My dept. is stuck in the ice ages, I.e. Crap radios, expired vests, and no MDTs. They have consistently turned down the idea of buying them citing funding issues, but have talked about some sort of tablets to allow officers to access reports, emails, and our in house database from the vehicle, but will not have DMV/NCIC capabilities. Does anyone else do this or have any experiences with this type of set up? Is it even worth it?

Originally posted by OFCR205 View Post
    Is it even worth it?
    Better than nothing
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MDTs... Sorta

.....Does anyone else do this or have any experiences with this type of set up? Is it even worth it?
      While we do not do that where I work, I do know of some organizations near me that have laptop computers, in mobile mounts, that do not have DMV/NCIC capabilities. I agree with Iowa #1603, something is better than nothing. One thing to consider would be to get whatever device that would be compatible for when you do join the 21st century. That way, it might be an easier transition. Think about it, you buy Apple iPads now and then two years from now you have to get Pansonic Toughbooks because that is what is required. Just get Panasonic Toughbooks now and you won't have to buy twice.

Comment

I have had to do this in my agency. Although slightly different. My cruiser has a toughbook that is more a table then anything else, as no internet, no CAD system or NCIC or anything. Since we don't have CAD in my agency, I found a free CAD program to keep track of my calls for my performance evaluation. What I did was i installed it on an Acer W500 tablet (ebay 300 bucks), then velcro'd the tablet to the front of the toughbook screen. When I was in a marked cruiser I had a cupholder tablet holder that worked okay. One of my other guys in the unit did the same thing for the same reason with his ipad and he uses a no screw floor mount (we can't modify our cruisers).

So you could do it and its okay

tablet: Acer w series since they are windows, the surface may also work also. You need something that will use a SSD hard drive so the shock of driving won't disrupt the computer and at least 64 gigs because 32 eats up memory like crazy.

I also got a logitec bluetooth keyboard. Its bluetooth and illumiated allowing me to type at night and it actually is velcro'd to the bottom keyboard of the toughbook and fits it very well.

so total cost

tablet- 300-500 dollars
        no screw floor mount- 40 dollars
        keyboard- 80 dollars

Hope this helps

Comment

My MDT has an off switch. Off is where I leave it. I use my radio and LOOK and LISTEN outside my car...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Was just curious to see what others have done. Who knows when or what will happen, so we'll see...

Comment

I hate to say it but look into grants for an MDT system. Yes, I can exist without an MDT but I'm more effective with one. It also cuts a lot of stress from the job when I can do everything in my unit without ever having to go through dispatch for information or go to the station but to pee and drop off evidence.

I'm sure there are tablet systems out there with various mounts but a system with Internet, CAD, case management and NCIC/TCIC in some form is almost priceless in this day and age.

Comment

kinda sounds like my department lol, although we are currently getting new equipment. We just got tasers last year and finally new cars that lasted what seems like 6 months, no one takes care of them. We do have mdt's, we actually have alot of stuff in our vehicles, only thing is, everything is super old haha. We do have body cams but they havent been issued yet and we are getting new vehicles here soon hopefully. To answer your question, out MDT's have CAD capabilities, and NCIC. We can type up our reports on them but its faster just going to a computer at the station and 95% of our paperwork is good ole pen and paper forms. I do like the MDT's due to the fact that I can run plates and DL's without calling it in, as well as putting myself out on a call for service. I can also see what my patrols are doing if they call out or put themselves out. To me, if its just for report writing or accessing in house database, its not worth it.

Comment

My agency had Panasonic and Motorola MDC (or MDT) units. They allowed us to pretty much run tags and people, that was about it... and we could play Solitaire or Pinball on them.

In 2014 we switched over to a new system, making all of our terminals obsolete. Now a select few are running some kind of tablet with separate PC-style keyboard and E-Tix system. These allow us to run tags and people, run Delta +, which tracks traffic stops, violations, and can access online MAARS accident reports. We can also respond to and clear calls from CAD on them.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmallCityCop View Post
                    My agency had Panasonic and Motorola MDC (or MDT) units. They allowed us to pretty much run tags and people, that was about it... and we could play Solitaire or Pinball on them.

In 2014 we switched over to a new system, making all of our terminals obsolete. Now a select few are running some kind of tablet with separate PC-style keyboard and E-Tix system. These allow us to run tags and people, run Delta +, which tracks traffic stops, violations, and can access online MAARS accident reports. We can also respond to and clear calls from CAD on them.
                    What system is this? We currently use tiburon when I'm at and everyone in patrol pretty much got upgraded to a cf31 toughbook since our new system won't work on older computers. I think were going to motorola one or something (I'm in PG County).

Comment

My dept. is stuck in the ice ages, I.e. Crap radios, expired vests, and no MDTs. They have consistently turned down the idea of buying them citing funding issues, but have talked about some sort of tablets to allow officers to access reports, emails, and our in house database from the vehicle, but will not have DMV/NCIC capabilities. Does anyone else do this or have any experiences with this type of set up? Is it even worth it?
                      What agency are you at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrothersInBlue3 View Post
                        What agency are you at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        You're new to the site, so you probably didn't notice, but at the top left corner of each post you will see a time stamp indicting when it was posted. This particular thread was started in April of last year. The dude has probably got the mdt's by now! Here's hoping anyway.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10153 users online. 337 members and 9816 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X